WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It has been sometimes since I have posted on here ... time has been scarce lately!

Just wondered, as I have a datejust from late 2007 (M serial), which keeps about +4 seconds a day, and have never had a trouble with timing, yet, when I listen to it tick, it makes a kind of echo noise: not the single crystal-clear tick that my other rolexes make, but has like an echo to the noise it makes, which might even be described as being a tone coming from a metallic part.

Just seems a little strange, but it has always done it, so it doesn't worry me, just curious if any of you know why some watches do this and others don't.

Thanks,

Oliver.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I have never heard of this and neither of my DJs do it. You might consider having it opened for a check of the movement just for the peace of mind.

Jeannie

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think I know what you mean. Instead of a dull tick, it has almost a musical note or a ping. My sub sounds like that. Sounds completely different from any other mech watch I've ever heard.

·
Registered
373 Posts
my theory for the "musical ping" is, that the second hand vibrates that way by being beaten 4 times a second.
Some hands do, some don't.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,

Yes seems odd, never thought about it being to do with the hand, as wouldn't that require a) a loose hand and b) some kind of separate contact actuation? but I suppose it is always a possibility. Well, as I said, it doesn;t bother me that much, as timing is regular, but I am glad to know that it isn't just mine!

Thanks once again,

Oliver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts