WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was looking for some advice on which Rolex to buy for my 1st introduction to the brand. I have tried them both and have to say I am completely undecided.

My current watches are a Tag Heuer Aquaracer ceramic, Longines Master Chrono, Omega Speedmaster Mark II vintage and a Bell and Ross Br123 Heritage.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hello,

I was looking for some advice on which Rolex to buy for my 1st introduction to the brand. I have tried them both and have to say I am completely undecided.

My current watches are a Tag Heuer Aquaracer ceramic, Longines Master Chrono, Omega Speedmaster Mark II vintage and a Bell and Ross Br123 Heritage.
Sub all day long and twice on Sunday.

Reactions: Zeckman

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Sub. A true classic. It doesn't matter if you get a newer ceramic model or an older aluminum bezel model, it's the way to go as your first Rolex.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have an Explorer, but the 36mm version. I wear this one most of the time. It wears light but does not look small.

I also have the SubC and really enjoy it. And it wears very differently than the polite Explorer, yet it has the same size face when you exclude the bezel.

I find this is a great combination.

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,356 Posts
Most here I believe will vote for the Sub. While I do like the look of the Sub, there's something about the Explorer that I find truly charming. I'm a newbie to all things Rolex, but even with my limited experience with the brand, I appreciate the understated charm of the Explorer. More experienced fans, I hope, will chime in and talk about this watch.

I'm a big fan of watches that fly under the radar, so I think the Explorer offers a little bit of bling with a dash of subtlety. I think it rivals the Sub in its versatility. As a history buff, I love the fact that it's part of a line of watches that can be traced to the model that accompanied the first explorers to scale the peaks of Mt. Everest. I'm a sucker for that kind of marketing, haha.

·
Registered
12,451 Posts
I love my Submariner but I would love to add an Explorer one day to my collection.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
When I bought my Rolex it was a huge step up price-wise from anything I ever bought. My attitude was it may be the last really nice watch I can ever afford, so buy the one you love the most. Both models you identify are awesome, but for me the BLNR elevated above. So I saved a little more and bought that. 1 1\2 years later it is still my last watch purchase and am thankful I did not settle for something less. If those are the only 2 SS Rolex in your consideration set buy the one you love most.

·
Registered
399 Posts
it depends on what you are looking for. if it's a diver, then the sub is the best choice. if it's not, then the explorer. if you really really really like them both, i would seriously consider keeping the omega, selling the longines, the bell and ross and the tag, and getting both.. and not looking back. good luck!

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
it depends on what you are looking for. if it's a diver, then the sub is the best choice. if it's not, then the explorer. if you really really really like them both, i would seriously consider keeping the omega, selling the longines, the bell and ross and the tag, and getting both.. and not looking back. good luck!
That about sums it up!

Reactions: Watchout312

·
Registered
1 Posts
To the OP....
I was in the same position when I bought my Rolex Explorer. I had a Tag diver, and was looking for a new watch. I use what I buy, and was looking for a watch to wear every day. I too was torn between the Sub and the Explorer. I went with the Explorer (39mm) for a number of reasons.

First, I thought that it fit my 7 1/4" wrist a bit better. This was confirmed by my fashion advisors (you might guess who they are). Second, the Explorer is not as common as the Sub. One of the Boards I sit on has 40% of the members owning a Sub. I didn't want to bring it closer to 50%. This speaks to how popular a watch it is, so in this respect you cannot go wrong. However, if you are looking for exclusivity, I would suggest thinking a bit more about the Sub. There are also a lot of fakes Sub's out there, which again speaks to the popularity of the Sub.

Since buying the Explorer, I have found it to be easily 'dressed up' and 'dressed down'. It looks good in a suit and in shorts. I have also found it much more comfortable than my Tag dive watch; which I was not expecting. On one of the other Rolex boards, there are a few people with multiple Rolex watches (Sub's, Daytona's, etc.) that have taken to primarily wearing their Explorer because they find it so comfortable.

The one other thing you might want to consider is your need for the date function. Personally, i always have my cell phone near by, so it is not a big deal. Others have found they missed the date.

The best advice is always to go with what you wake up dreaming about!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm going to vote for the sub.

Explorer doesn't speak to me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I may sell everything but the Omega and purchase both, thanks for the idea. What would be a reasonable trade in value for these or would I be better off selling them on ebay. All of them are in near mint condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I won't be the first and definitely not the last but the hands on the 39mm Explorer seem too short for me. So on this basis I would say go for the Sub!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts