WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I request your opinion on these two watches purely on merit without considering the price tags of either. I am seriously considering a steel bracelet watch for daily use and shortlisted these two as both are iconic steel watches. Regards

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wish to add this watch to my collection for a long term basis. The robustness and quality is the main consideration.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
I am very biased. I would vote for the Rolex Explorer.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
The Rolex has a proven robustness that will be a long-term joy to own... but shoot, you're talking about a VC!!!

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Forgetting about brand cache, I prefer the Explorer, for its simplicity and classic design. The VC is ok, but it's too fussy for my tastes, especially if the chronograph.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Personally, there isn't a single version of the Overseas design does anything for me, especially for daily use. All those exposed beveled surfaces are likely to show a lot of marks and dings unless one is exceptionally careful with watches, and I don't see the fun in wearing something that limits one's activity level. Also, Vacheron Constantin's service costs are eye-watering, and the service intervals tend not to be as long as Rolex's.

Regrets; I just don't think that the Overseas is a very good-looking watch and is a less practical ownership proposition than the Explorer. One good thing about it is that it has a pretty decent water resistance rating, though.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I will go to my grave without an answer to the question of why anyone would post a 'this vs. that' question on a brand specific forum.

Really, you're on a Rolex forum and you honestly expect an unbiased answer to 'should I buy the Rolex or should I buy the 'x'?'

And what answer are you expecting from the Vacheron forum? Oh, yeah, buy the Rolex....

When you're finally able to think about any of the top tier watchmakers and their products, I think it really becomes a question not so much of timekeeping, but of design and features. If you're at a place where the question is Rolex versus Tissot or Rolex versus Hamilton then there may be some validity to the question, but Rolex versus any of the top end manufacturers is just plain silly on the Rolex forum.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With due respect I beg to differ sir. This forum consists of knowledgeable people who are capable of giving unbiased opinion. In fact what I'm reading here is something I didn't realize earlier. I posted query so that I should get advice from the real users. I think with your participation I'll get a fair view of both options. Thanks for your views. I expect more friends to express their opinion on both watches as they see them. Regards

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
With due respect I beg to differ sir. This forum consists of knowledgeable people who are capable of giving unbiased opinion. In fact what I'm reading here is something I didn't realize earlier. I posted query so that I should get advice from the real users. I think with your participation I'll get a fair view of both options. Thanks for your views. I expect more friends to express their opinion on both watches as they see them. Regards
For another viewpoint, you might pose the question on the high end forum...

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
VC is set to announce a new version of the Overseas in a couple months, with it likely hitting AD's within 6 months. You may want to hold on for that. The watch will have a new VC manufacture movement with display back.

Since money does not seem to be the primary motivator here, you might also have a look at the Patek Aquanaut and if you really don't plan on swimming with it, the AP Royal Oak.

I love the Rolex Explorer. I would buy that if it were my money and my decision. That said, if money were not a consideration and I were being gifted one, I'd take the Overseas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi. I request your opinion on these two watches purely on merit without considering the price tags of either. I am seriously considering a steel bracelet watch for daily use and shortlisted these two as both are iconic steel watches. Regards
Here's my Explorer 1, ref. 114270 (last of the 36mm), that has been my daily wear for some time now. As you can see, I have mine on a leather strap, it looks fantastic on the bracelet too.
I cant say enough about the Explorer 1, very understated, elegant, rugged, accurate, what's not to love...
Hand Arm Finger Wrist Caffeine

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
I know a client who wears a VC Overseas as though he'd wear an Explorer or any number of watches... A casual daily watch. He isn't worried about the marks incurred on the edges, and the VC looks great in its worn state.

One cannot assume that everyone is paranoid about wearing a high-dollar watch or keeping it in pristine condition.

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's nice to read. Yes VC Overseas is already introduced at SIHH today. 41 mm with 60 hr PR and 150 WR. I understand difference better now. I didn't post this at the High End Watch Forum as I felt they were naturally inclined against Rolex. As I understand it's a great brand and watches are damn reliable. Only if they sell the most or their watches command a power image among people should not go against Rolex per se. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
I reckon the VC is a fantastic looking watch, the Explorer is too, but for me the nod goes to the VC.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hands down VC

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Both very nice watches but I would say they serve two different purposes. I think the Vacheron is a great piece to own as part of a collection but I find the design a little too flashy for daily wear. I think the Vacheron would be a great watch to own for special occasions in tandem with the Explorer for daily wear.

My vote has to go to the Explorer. It's rugged, classy and reliable all in one package. The servicing would be cheaper than a Vacheron, especially a chronograph. I think Rolex make the best upper tier watch for daily wear and the Explorer may be the best of the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,645 Posts

Oversea's bracelet is excellent, of course it was to be consider the gap in msrp.

If the price is not an issue, its a no brainer for me.

Sent from my fax machine using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,949 Posts
Not too long ago, I had the opportunity to pick up a VC Overseas at an excellent price. I passed ... for the same reason I had earlier passed on an AP Royal Oak. Both of these designs, along with the PP Nautilus, are very dated-looking 70s designs. And the new VC Overseas unveiled at SIHH has done nothing to modernize the look.

There was a time - like the 80s - when I still loved those Genta-esque designs. But no more. Designs that have persisted in popularity for decades, such as the Rolex Explorer, maintain their attraction because of their timeless appeal.

As already observed, service costs on either a VC or AP are quite high. Even worse, you can expect to be without your watch for at least six months, likely longer.

Finally, VC has gone overboard with their case sizes. Ditto for AP. There is no way I would pay the VC or AP premium for a watch larger than 39mm. If you're going to spend that amount of money for a watch that, ostensibly, will be a multi-generational watch, you should want something that will not be out-of-style in 20 or 30 years. The design already is out-of-style, and the large cases will exaggerate that flaw in the years to come.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As a daily wearer that dresses up and down easily, my vote goes to the explorer 1. I like the VC more but don't think it would look good on a t-shirt for example

1 - 20 of 31 Posts