WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really been the biggest fan of metal strap “sports / tool” watches but lately have really come around to the idea of a robust everyday watch that is also the centrepiece of my collection – I think it has something to do with growing up and all that jazz.
However I am suffering from a dearth of knowledge on the subject and could do with the help of a trusted and wise community of experts / knowledgeable folks.

One watch that caught my eye was the Rolex submariner – I believe it has heritage as a model and also looks great (black dial and face is my preference). Could anyone give me any advice / information about this particular watch?

Many thanks

Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi Chris,

yes the Rolex Sub certainly has heritage, especially the no date model, which has been on sale in one form or another for about 60 years

Rolex's website has a lot of useful info about the materials & construction of each model

Rolex Submariner Date Watch: 18 ct white gold

the sub in SS comes with a black face or for a slight(ish) premium a green face

the blue face models will be either white gold (WG) or two Tone (TT) which is a mix of gold and steel

expect to pay a lot more for the precious metal variants

HTH?

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
Could anyone give me any advice / information about this particular watch?
what kind of info are you looking for?? torture test results, price, technology used, metals used, actual blue prints? their website doesn't say much as it's marketing focused.... but we're not going to write a wiki page for you either, do your research it's your 6k gbp after all

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Sub is great choice, I couldn't be happier with mine. Remember that Rolex aren't the cheapest come service time.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Here's the deal with the sub: its an absolutely amazing quality watch suitable for a lifetime of hard use. It's also really expensive so you need to explore your options before buying one. Do some research on comparable watches, hit a few high end watch stores, and figure out what's best for you. Otherwise you might get one and start wondering if you really made the right choice.

For me it was the right choice but there are a lot of great watches and there is no one perfect watch for everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is not going to lose much value over time. And Rolex is due for a price increase.

It's basically the most classic of professional watches. While some here would say it is ubiquitous, the fact remains that the vast majority of dive watches out there are not a Rolex. So, it is not ubiquitous. It may be the ubiquitous Rolex model since it's the one most people lust after and can afford, but it's not ubiquitous like a Mustang is ubiquitous.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think its important you keep in mind the first Rolex should be a keeper. Many regret selling their first Rolex and you only can make that mistake once.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would like to buy a Rolex Sub in the near future, does the price differentiate according to the country (not taking currency exchange into account)?
I know for a fact that the Rolex Submariner ND costs "6150 euro" ( = 5284 pound / 8230 dollar ) here in Belgium, but I've seen people saying that the price in e.g. London is only 5000 pound ( = 5819 euro / 7786 dollar)?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I would like to buy a Rolex Sub in the near future, does the price differentiate according to the country (not taking currency exchange into account)?
I know for a fact that the Rolex Submariner ND costs "6150 euro" ( = 5284 pound / 8230 dollar ) here in Belgium, but I've seen people saying that the price in e.g. London is only 5000 pound ( = 5819 euro / 7786 dollar)?
They run around $7200 in the US (at an AD). Of course there is always tax on top of the price. Here in Anchorage, Alaska there is no sales tax so $7200 is pretty much what you would pay with 5-10 minutes of negotiation.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you want brand new then you can't go far wrong with a no-date Sub. Nice clean look and an absolute classic. If you're prepared to look at second hand I'd suggest you take a look at the Sea-Dweller. Same classic look, although a little bit chunkier. It includes a date complication and, best of all, they're starting to go up in value as they aren't made any more and they're rarer than the Submariner.

Here's mine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts