WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, "How to Act Like a Watch nerd Without Even Trying".
A lot of Rolex threads lately, basically re-hashing the same stuff that's been re-hashed umpteen times before.
I thought I'd try to help any new forummers get up to speed on basic Rolex Bashing 101 in one tidy post.
It's a big job but someone's gotta do it.

So if you're new to watches/watch forums you're just bombarded with dozens of brands and types of watches you've never heard of before right?
BUT you HAVE heard of Rolex of course!
Damn finest watches in the world you always thought, right?
Au contraire mon amie!
There are all these odd companies with just letters for names and by golly even Seiko makes some super great watches!
Who'da thunk it right?
Soooo....you NEVER want to show your utter naievete by letting on like you're a common mall shopper and saying Rolex are great watches if you're a forum noob.
People will surely point, scoff and guffaw.

So after you've been on ye olde watch forum a while, (month or so) you are now a certified watch expert extraordinaire!
You can now advance to the finer points of Rolex bashing.
This is a very refined art, yet surprisingly easy to master.

One should always begin by demonstrating what an open-minded, tolerant fellow you are.
Start with "I realize Rolex makes some excellent watches with ROBUST movements (they just LOVE "robust" in watch forums, don't use "workhorse", thats for 2824's) BUT...
Here's where you have several options with your "but"...
Both these are sure winners, it's just a matter of preference.
You can go the "social stigma" route, as follows:
"I'm just not the kind of person that needs all the baggage Rolex brings with it."
This implies that you're just a down to earth all around swell guy and not some show-off robber baron/social climber/pimp Rolex wearing know-nothing.
This approach has dual advantages of showing how really swell you are AND being able to see right through all the Rolex wearing riffraff, cuz you're just cool like that.

Your second approach is just simple economics.
"I realize Rolex makes fine watches BUT I can get just as good, if not a better watch for far less money."
Who can argue with that right?
You should then tout the virtues of some other brand with a point by point comparison.
Once again showing just how, by gosh SMART you truly are.

Of course if you feel daring, you can combine both the above arguments but that's a bit of overkill and better left to more seasoned "experts" with a year or more collecting experience.
There are obviously many more weapons available in Rolex Bashing but this was meant as just a brief introduction for new people.
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Here's where you have several options with your "but"...
Both these are sure winners, it's just a matter of preference.
As a Dummy, I was going to start a thread titled Dummies for Rolex. In the meantime I would like to say that I feel let down as I thought I would get several options from your thread, notwithstanding that the two I was given were pretty sensible.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
You, sir, are my hero. I'll admit, I've bashed some Rolexes in my day, but I have to admit that the Air-King is as classic as it gets, and I would probably kill a man for a 36mm Milgauss.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Excellent post and absolutely spot on.

I'm hoping there is going to be a Part 2 or an intermediate/advanced lesson, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Isn't that how it goes with any knowledge about a topic? First, you know what everybody knows. Then, you know enough to know that regular people are completely wrong. Then, you learn a little more and realize that things can be popular and high-quality at the same time.

I feel like it's inevitable that I'll pull the trigger on a blue datejust. I think about buying one too often for it not to happen sooner or later.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Great post and very much needed as of late. Maybe I've been spending too much time on here lately, maybe not enough time before, or maybe it is just my perception, but there seems to be an edge of negativity running through many of the forum posts lately that I had not picked up on in past years. Glad to see a post like this - light-hearted in nature but with a purpose to benefit the forum.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I feel it's pretty pointless to bash any brand. Just steer clear of the watches you don't like ... it's as simple as that.
Well, it never hurts to make sure people know that they're not REALLY getting a deal on that 90%-discounted Invicta.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Personally, I don't think highly of Rolex as a brand (as of 2012). I have Rolex watches that my dad's passed on to me, but I wouldn't get one for myself. That doesn't mean I have to look down upon or make fun of someone who owns a Rolex ... I really don't care about what other people collect, that's left to an individual's taste.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Atlas shrugs just a little. Maybe that post won't bring about a sea change on WUS, but it ought to help turn the tide for a while. Thanks

and

Personally, I don't think highly of Rolex as a brand (as of 2012). I have Rolex watches that my dad's passed on to me, but I wouldn't get one for myself. That doesn't mean I have to look down upon or make fun of someone who owns a Rolex ... I really don't care about what other people collect, that's left to an individual's taste.
You I listen too.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Join WUS and your likely to own a Seiko orange monster and an Omega speedmaster pro and of course hate on Rolex. Lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts