WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Writers and news reports are inaccurate all the time.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Interesting, and sobering. The bezel isn't a standard DJ bezel is it?
I'm thinking that "Date-Just" is a Turnograph.

Either that, or something that is Not Discussed around here.

911_memorial_watch09.jpg

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'm thinking that "Date-Just" is a Turnograph.

Either that, or something that is Not Discussed around here.

View attachment 1615167
Correct, sometimes called a Thunderbird, it was given to each member of the U.S.Air Force Aerobatic Team...The Thunder Birds.
It was never 41mm....Also anyone could buy it, never very popular.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Is that a divers bezel???
no, it is a fixed numbered bezel. Rolex has done them often. Typically they have flutes between the numbers

Reactions: AAMC

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
no, it is a fixed numbered bezel. Rolex has done them often. Typically they have flutes between the numbers
No...it turned. That's why it was called a Turn-O-Graph.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
No...it turned. That's why it was called a Turn-O-Graph.
your right it did. It just didn't click if I remember correctly. It slid

edited: I never understood the turnograph. What was the point?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
OK...in the mean time I googled it...something like this...

yup, not sure the point of a datejust, renamed turnograph with a sliding bezel. Never made sense to me.

But the story is a good one anyway. Sad and I am sure most of us remember that day well.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
yup, not sure the point of a datejust, renamed turnograph with a sliding bezel. Never made sense to me.

But the story is a good one anyway. Sad and I am sure most of us remember that day well.
I see the point of it. Timing bezels are useful on dry land, too. Why not have one? It adds a function to an otherwise pretty basic watch.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I see the point of it. Timing bezels are useful on dry land, too. Why not have one? It adds a function to an otherwise pretty basic watch.
yeah but this one slides has no positive clicks. Strange to me

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Huh. Well I can see people are focusing on the important part of the article...

… seriously - it's always a little bit of a morbid thought for me. But I can't erase it. How many watches, just like mine (or just like ones I'd like to buy), were among the last things people looked at in their lives? The diver who checked his Doxa one last time before something horrible happened underwater. The guy glancing at his Rolex one last time in the cockpit of an airplane. The driver checking his Heuer on a fateful last lap. Etc. etc. etc.

I guess it just goes to show that, part and parcel of watches being an important (even central) part of our history and our culture is the fact that watches we love were also present - even integral - to some pretty sad events.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Huh. Well I can see people are focusing on the important part of the article...

Sometimes it is the best way of dealing with bad memories

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I had a client in Houston,she was the manager for a mortgage company with Houston office....She came to me a week or two after the event.
She lost her job that day, all the Executives, office staff, in N.Y. were killed that day. She told me she just told the others to go home
and she locked the door and left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts