WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
What exactly makes it suspicious? Dimier Brothers were an importer, so that's simply an importer's hallmark...

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, nothing to do with the importer, it's the combination of the marks RWC, Rolex and the date that make me wonder.
Roy

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
If to think a little more, there is one oddity.

The hallmarks are London ones for imported silver, the date letter N is for 1928. That sort of markings would be correct for that period.

The only thing that I find odd is the shape of the frame around "RWC Ltd."
Rolex Case Back Stamps Used Inside Vintage Rolex Watches | Vintage Watches
Blog: Rolex sponsor's marks

Should be a rather finely shaped oval, and this frame is quite coarse.

That said, while it might be nothing, if that's on a watch that you're seeking to buy- when in doubt, walk away. Better safe than sorry. Especially when it's about a Rolex.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was a bit chary of the fact that both RWC and Rolex were on the case, not having had sufficient experience of the brand (unfortunately!) Also the Rolex etc stamp seems very sharp compared to everything else. I should have phrased the title of the post differently, my apologies and thanks for the response. I know David B.'s website - it's a shame it doesn't have a search engine - I find myself going round in circles a bit. Brilliant site though.Roy

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Except that by 1928, the Rolex case stamps should be referencing 20 world records, no?
The good question is, when did they introduce the case stamp referencing 20 world records, and were cases with the previous "7 records" stamp still in production for a while in 1928, or were they not. In 1926 and 1927, the cases still had "7 records." That said, this part is not quite as obvious as it could seem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts