WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Video detailing the history, design, movement, price, collectability and provenance of the Rolex King Midas.

I recently stumbled upon this watch while researching famous Bond watches. The villain, in The Man with the Golden Gun, Francisco Scaramanga, played as Christopher Lee wears the Cellini version of this watch.

The design is so different to any other Rolex model I've seen - I was immediately drawn in.

So many surprising things about this watch, from the Gerald Genta design, to the fact it weighs in at 185g.

Anyway, the video goes into more detail. Happy to receive any feedback or to answer any questions!

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. Very interesting and certainly one of the watches you hardly see around these parts.
WUS seems to be overwhelmingly an "Oyster bed." I have yet to see folks discuss Rolex in a Cellini (or similar, as in pre-Cellini non-industrial models) context. IDK why.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. Very interesting and certainly one of the watches you hardly see around these parts.
Perhaps if it was worn by a C-list shleb, had a long waitlist, was only generally available at a grey premium and had a steel oyster case, it would get airtime. Everything else goes in the bin.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
A friend has one, he has owned two of them over the years. The one for the left wrist. I think there was 1000 made. A very heavy watch. Not very legible. Nice presentation box. But really wasn't a watch I would wear.

·
Registered
526 Posts
And I must add something to that video, king Midas (ΜΙΔΑΣ) had an obsession with gold, as mentioned, but the video doesn’t mention that by accident he hugged his beloved daughter and turned to gold. That is the first drawing of the video. Before that, he had significant problems, he couldn’t eat, because as soon he touched his food, turned into gold. Sad story

Reactions: Rashid
1 - 10 of 10 Posts