WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Damn....Baselworld must have really messed with them for them to go to a competitor.

Reactions: JCB43

·
Registered
948 Posts
Damn, I was just going to post this. I'm not surprised - COVID19 is going to reinvent the way businesses are conducted and force old ways to go into new directions. Or maybe Rolex and others just got tired of paying out the ass to an archaic institution for an outdated dog and pony show and the pandemic provided the perfect excuse to break up? It has and always will be about the monies.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tudor/Rolex/PAtek being out is the final nail in the coffin. Or at least leaves nothing else of interest in to bother following. I guess with Seiko/Grand Seiko out, theres just Oris but they seem to be very independent with their own releases/shows already.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not looking good for Baselworld, from what I have read the costs were extortionate and current climate has prob made watch companies re-evaluate the relationship.
I think with each watch brand doing their own thing now it is better as they can release throughout the year as opposed to the Baselworld timeline.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not looking good for Baselworld, from what I have read the costs were extortionate and current climate has prob made watch companies re-evaluate the relationship.
I think with each watch brand doing their own thing now it is better as they can release throughout the year as opposed to the Baselworld timeline.
Yup. Baselworld 2020 was postponed to January 2021 and Rolex and PP had no interest releasing new watches immediately after the holidays nor attending a trade show in January.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Tudor/Rolex/PAtek being out is the final nail in the coffin. Or at least leaves nothing else of interest in to bother following. I guess with Seiko/Grand Seiko out, theres just Oris but they seem to be very independent with their own releases/shows already.
They can always convert the Basel facility into a year round indoor go kart track.:think:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Patek should have been always SIHH anyways, so they are home now of sorts.

Rolex though...hmm.... if they are going more upscale I guess this is their chance if they choose to take that route. I wouldn’t mess with their current successful model though.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Damn, I was just going to post this. I'm not surprised - COVID19 is going to reinvent the way businesses are conducted and force old ways to go into new directions. Or maybe Rolex and others just got tired of paying out the ass to an archaic institution for an outdated dog and pony show and the pandemic provided the perfect excuse to break up? It has and always will be about the monies.
This is just a change of venue/organiser. There's nothing new about the business model. There will be fees for this new show too.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Patek should have been always SIHH anyways, so they are home now of sorts.

Rolex though...hmm.... if they are going more upscale I guess this is their chance if they choose to take that route. I wouldn’t mess with their current successful model though.
If I were to guess, the fees for SIHH/Watches&Wonders is less than Basel. Firstly, due to fewer exhibitors and it being a smaller venue and secondly, up until recently, it was majority Richemont brands attending a Richemont-backed/owned fair, the costs were probably more reasonable than the extortionist fees that MCH charges for Baselworld.

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's just the way the world is headed with regard to marketing. Whether it's cars/watches/fashion/etc, these shows are just not the big deal they once were. It's all social media this and influencer that

1 - 17 of 17 Posts