WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan of Rolex since I was 12 years old (now 49) (James Bond in Live and Let Dive introduced me to Rolex and the Submariner in particular). The brand is amazing and I am impressed with the updating of various models, particularly the tool watches. In the last two years of I have purchased the GMT, Submariner and Explorer II (Keep in mind I still have the original models from 1994,1999 and 2000 respectively.). I am currently eyeing a Milgause (green).

As I said the brand is amazing and offers value far beyond its price (IMHO), although with the multiple yearly increases that may change.

What I am seeing now with the introduction of the Sky-Dweller and the Yacht Master II, a change in the direction of the brand. Rolex seems to be going into the more exotic markets, where IWC, Zenith, Blancpain, Glashutte, GP, among others have a well staked niche. These are markets that Rolex had never entered before and with good reason: they (again IMHO) stuck with the basics and let other companies try the esoteric stuff. This has served Rolex well as no name has better recognition in the world!! Plus like a rare metal it is as good as currency the world over.

Since Rolex has always stuck with the basics (with immense quality behind this) there value in the second market has always held (the rule of thumb was the value of your watch never was less than what you paid for it.). I think with these new models that may change the way Rolex is viewed in the future.

I must admit (since i did buy them) i do like the updated models (although the Deep Sea is, to me a mixed bag).

Any thoughts or insights?

JEFF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I generally like the newer styles (they are slightly larger and more robust), the bracelet upgrade was particularly welcomed. They managed to keep the general classic feel with an up date. Having said that I think the Deep Sea is a little over the top.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think the market changes are prompting this: (1) the need to appeal to newer, younger, wealthy consumers in countries that had traditionally not been part of Rolex's core market; (2) increasing brand recognition from other brands, many of whom do offer new models each and every year. I wouldn't say they have lost their way as the quality and technical attributes are better than ever, the sales and retail prices are higher than ever. And Rolex has always made a big play as a luxury watch manufacturer as opposed to some brands who appeal to a smaller, niche market,

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't think that Rolex has lost it's way, it is simply heading off on a path that I don't want to follow.

It's all subjective, really - for example, where I see gaudiness in the engraved rehaut, others see a great little detail; the same could be said for polished center links etc.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
if you want an understated tool watch, buy vintage or Tudor. if you want to flash bling, buy modern Rolex.
X3.

I sold my Sun C because I would hide it under a long sleeve shirt or not wear it, way too much shine. I thought it would grow on me but I quickly realized that it was jewelery, not a tool watch. Sold it and went back to the classic model, could not be happier.

The new Explorer II's still look like tool watches, especially with the killer matte dial.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rolex has certainly taken a turn that I am not interested in. Like the OP my love affair with the brand start many many years ago when I started diving. In my mind a Submariner is a 1680, 5513, etc, the Subs, Explorers and GMTs of today no longer have that same feeling. I never thought I would purchase a "tribute" watch but now that the Submariner is in my mind, no longer a Submariner, I am looking at the MKII Kingston as having the magic that Rolex had but let go.

36mm of perfection-

1964 Tudor 7928- I sold this one several years ago- wish I had it back- This to me is what a Submariner should look like-

·
Registered
41,216 Posts
"tribute"
Rolex has certainly taken a turn that I am not interested in. Like the OP my love affair with the brand start many many years ago when I started diving. In my mind a Submariner is a 1680, 5513, etc, the Subs, Explorers and GMTs of today no longer have that same feeling. I never thought I would purchase a "tribute" watch but now that the Submariner is in my mind, no longer a Submariner, I am looking at the MKII Kingston as having the magic that Rolex had but let go.

36mm of perfection-

1964 Tudor 7928- I sold this one several years ago- wish I had it back- This to me is what a Submariner should look like-

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Since the introduction of the 116750 in 2006 there have been a lot of threads like this in various WIS fora. We all know what the changes are. Maxi-cases, polished bracelet center links, rehaut script, and significant price increases to add insult to injury. What is notable is that the gnashing of teeth is always reserved for the steel sports models.

Gold (now Rolesor and Everose) models have existed in the Rolex line up since the 1920s and no doubt make up a good part of the Rolex image and sales mix. As do bejeweled models and very popular ladies offerings in yellow gold, white gold, Everose and platinum. People that buy those models want them to be noticed.

Despite howls of derision from stalwarts like us Rolex has managed to keep its finger on the pulse of the market and continue to sell every watch they make.

I believe Rolex has listened to the complaints with regard to the Professional line. They know they have priced themselves out of a significant market base. If the Tudor Black Bay and Pelagos are successful we may eventually see a supplement to the entire Rolex Professional line in Tudor's model line up. I don't think it's an accident that the Pelagos is similar to the belated Sea-Dweller: 4000ft WR, HRV, matte finish, and updated with Ti and a 42mm size as a response to market trends.

That is why I say, in that respect, Rolex the parent company, may be looking to reposition Tudor in the market before a reintroduction to the US. So, Tudor is the new Rolex.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Since the introduction of the 116750 in 2006 there have been a lot of threads like this in various WIS fora. We all know what the changes are. Maxi-cases, polished bracelet center links, rehaut script, and significant price increases to add insult to injury. What is notable is that the gnashing of teeth is always reserved for the steel sports models.

Gold (now Rolesor and Everose) models have existed in the Rolex line up since the 1920s and no doubt make up a good part of the Rolex image and sales mix. As do bejeweled models and very popular ladies offerings in yellow gold, white gold, Everose and platinum. People that buy those models want them to be noticed.

Despite howls of derision from stalwarts like us Rolex has managed to keep its finger on the pulse of the market and continue to sell every watch they make.

I believe Rolex has listened to the complaints with regard to the Professional line. They know they have priced themselves out of a significant market base. If the Tudor Black Bay and Pelagos are successful we may eventually see a supplement to the entire Rolex Professional line in Tudor's model line up. I don't think it's an accident that the Pelagos is similar to the belated Sea-Dweller: 4000ft WR, HRV, matte finish, and updated with Ti and a 42mm size as a response to market trends.

That is why I say, in that respect, Rolex the parent company, may be looking to reposition Tudor in the market before a reintroduction to the US. So, Tudor is the new Rolex.
You may be correct. Only time will tell.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

That's a very interesting thought. I really like the new tudors.

Personally, I still like the new Rolex models with the exception of the GMT that definitely looks too shiny to wear in the cockpit. I would have preferred the matte bezel of the Planet Ocean 8500 and a plain rehaut ring, but I appreciate the improvements in the new lineup.

Still, I do think that the classic Sub/GMT have a cache that the new models don't. But I think that's because of who wore them. Rolexes once were the watch of Cousteau, Yeager, and a thousand unknown divers, pilots, warriors, and explorers. Now it's the watch of dot com'ers and executives, mostly due to the price of admission.

But, what company turns down success? Rolex worked hard to become the go to watch company. Was it even realistically possible to deny it when it came to them?

Deacon

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't see their new watches as being very far off line from the traditional Rolex line. So they are a bit more complicated and bigger, but they are far from perpetual calendar- minute repeater- moonphase -equation of time watches (I am exaggerating of course).

I like the newer lines and they have to change. Change or die, basically. Even a brand like Rolex must change and grow.

As for Rolex sticking to the basics and thus their value holding up, well i dont see too many Rolex "never being less than what you paid for it" To me they hold value (to the extent that they do) largely because of the Rolex name and advertising. Yes, they are robust watches but so are plenty of others that don't have the cache.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I don't think they are loosing their way tradition and slow improvements is their way. If you want something (like me) that is exciting try panerai

·
Registered
201 Posts
You guys do know that there are 5513's and 1675's for sale on the forums every day. It's not like Rolex is buying them back and melting them down.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts