WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother, who owns a Yacht Master, Datejust and Sea Dweller has promised to buy me a Sub of my choice if some of his stock hits a desired level. What a bro, huh? I am not greedy and would be thrilled at any of the models that his generosity produces. I feel like I would never take it off, I mean ever...really.

He lived in Rio for three years and he said he never wore his Rolex watch down there at all because he would be a target. So educate me, oh Rolex owners. Does having a Submariner on my wrist while in the Carribbean or S. America put me at risk? Hurts to own a watch I have desired, nay coveted, for all of my adult life and not take it diving in the islands.

Just wondering?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks Spit161,
Should have guessed this has been discussed before. Here in Texas, I carry a gun everywhere I go and feel very safe as I have extensive experience with a handgun and the calm hand and nerve to use it. Out of U.S., I feel naked without my handgun so common sense would need to over ride my desire to wear my favorite, I suppose.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Of course it does. Anytime you display an item of value in front of those who have no qualms of taking it from you, by con or violence, you're setting yourself up for loss or injury. If you intend to travel overseas, I suggest you visit travel.state.gov, the official State Department travel site. Select the country and heed the warnings. In many countries, even U.S. territories, these crimes are often and rarely have an outcome that benefits the victim. At times, the local police are involved. If you're traveling for vacation, get an inexpensive, under the radar watch for travel. Diving is a recreational sport with some expense. Those that charter dive boats apparently have some money to spend. To imagine that you're not being targeted at some point is naive. Save the Rolex for home. My two cents.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Here's an article that I found on-line a few days ago. (I just had to search for it again.)

U.S. tourist dies in Naples after Rolex assault
Fri May 27, 10:49 am ET

NAPLES (Reuters) – An American tourist has died in Naples nine days after he was assaulted by thieves trying to steal his Rolex watch, police said on Friday.
Oscar Antonio Mendoza, 66, from Puerto Rico, had just stepped off a cruise ship to tour the southern Italian city with his wife on May 18 when two men approached him on a scooter, grabbed his arm and tried to take his Rolex.
Mendoza struggled with one of the men and was thrown to the ground, hitting his head. He was taken to hospital and operated on but did not regain consciousness.
Police are searching for the thieves, who sped off on their scooter without the watch after knocking Mendoza over.
(Reporting by Laura Viggiano, writing by Catherine Hornby)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Does having a Submariner on my wrist while in the Carribbean or S. America put me at risk? Just wondering?
Owning a "luxury" item of "anything" can be a very rewarding experience! HEY! I work hard and earn every dollar honestly so why shouldn't I be able to "reward" myself with some "fruits of my labor"? Unfortunately, there are always those who are either "jealous" or will never have the "financial means" to "play with the big boys". Those individuals will either resort to buying "knock-offs" (or counterfeits) OR they will resort to robbing or stealing or mugging somebody for something that they feel that they deserve. Anything that you have on your person can potentially put you "at risk" anywhere in the world. The most obivious is a watch but it can also be: a pair of shoes, a jacket, a hat, a ring, a mobile phone, etc. The main thing is to "try" not to be "too flashy" and always be aware of your surroundings.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I think that as Wilkinsonp has stated any luxury item can make you a target just as flashing large amounts of cash. But I feel like you need to have a good sense of where you are and what the situation is around you whether you are in another country or just down the street in your own home town. There are bad people everywhere who want to take advantage of you. I have travelled to many areas around the world and have had few problems. If you are going to be afraid to wear your watch in another country then you should probably be afraid to wear it at home. Maintain situational awareness, don't do stupid things with valuables and yourself, have you watch insured, and the bottom line is either be prepared to protect yourself and your valuables or be prepared to surrender them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I do not own a Rolex, but a few friends do - anytime somebody eyes the watch down and get questioned, quick answer is "It's a fake, got it in NYC"
People stop looking after that.

But anything can make you a target....Especially a good looking woman.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you act paranoid you're a a target. I've worn my Sub in every island in the Caribbean, throughout Mexico, Sweden, and Denmark. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
38,573 Posts
About 7 years ago a former customer of mind said he was at a stop-light in Mexico City, he felt a gun behind his ear, they
got his Rolex, wedding ring and briefcase, he lives there.
If you act paranoid you're a a target. I've worn my Sub in every island in the Caribbean, throughout Mexico, Sweden, and Denmark. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just practise common sense, and all is good. If in doubt, leave it at home or hotel safe. Better to not wear it for the vacation, than to never see it again!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Just practise common sense, and all is good. If in doubt, leave it at home or hotel safe. Better to not wear it for the vacation, than to never see it again!
But I don't recommend to leave it in the Hotel-safe. My watch got stolen from a hotel-safe..... and the hotel did nothing!

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
But I don't recommend to leave it in the Hotel-safe. My watch got stolen from a hotel-safe..... and the hotel did nothing!
...that's very poor show on the hotels behalf. <|

·
Registered
9 Posts
that sucks!! big time! depends on how you travel, you may like to have a pouch for putting your watch in. and shove the pouch in a day bag of some sort.

sounds like hotel rooms and hotel safes are no goes for expensive jewellery.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Just exercise good reason and due caution. For example, I recently traveled to London, and had no concerns about taking my Submariner. Conversely, if I was to go to a border town in Mexico, would probably think twice.

mike.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts