WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

anyone knows if its true that the serial number not really meant that its manufacture in that very year. I came across in AD a new rolex Airking with serial number : Kxxxxxx. Base on http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm it is made in yr2001 sep. But the AD says its the model of production date. How true is it??? Any kind soul out there please advise.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The serial letter is an approximate manufacture year. Often, there can be 2 or 3 serial letters available at any given time. Today there are still many "D" as well as "Z" serials available, and on some slow-moving models there can be others as well. This sounds like ths case with the AK. I have seen "P" serials available at my AD earlier this year. Th example would be, "Z" serial started showing up in late May, early June at AD's. This means they would have likely been shipped out earlier than that. Is it likely that the "Z" was manufactured between January and May of "06? Possible, but not likely. It stands to reason that the "Z started manufacture in '05. But 06 and 07 will be credited with the "Z".
If you are concerned about the warranty,don't be. The warranty is effective from the date of purchase, not manufacture.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi,

anyone knows if its true that the serial number not really meant that its manufacture in that very year. I came across in AD a new rolex Airking with serial number : Kxxxxxx. Base on http://www.oysterworld.de/1/index.htm it is made in yr2001 sep. But the AD says its the model of production date. How true is it??? Any kind soul out there please advise.
Your question can be very complicated. As Chris pointed out it's not a 'cut and dried' answer.
The cases are stamped with the serial number, probably sent in batches. So you 'know' when the case was stamped but not when the watch was assembled.
Some models are believed to have reserved serial numbers, some stamped all at the same time like many COMEX watches but distributed at different times.
Regardless of the serial number, if bought from an AD it's "new" until sold. It's not unusual to see a new 'P' or whatever DD in a case.
To quote James Dowling about serial numbers, "It's a minefield." =) maverick

·
Registered
21 Posts
The letter means the exact manufacturing date. But it is not the selling date. It can be that a watch stays at rolex for a while or it stays at the dealer because no one is interested in it.

The older numbers are the approximate date because its not based on facts but on presumptions

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Thanks for your reply. i now caught in between a new and used airking which both are the same manufactured year. the used one which is 2 yrs old going for 3/4 price of the new one. Any advice?

Happy new year all!

·
Registered
42 Posts
i think the letter refers to the production time period for the case.....and there are also codes on the inner clasp that will give a clue too....

in all there is no conclusive way to know exactly when a rolex watch is produced.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think your decision depends on what your goal is. I f the preowned is LNIB or has minimal wear, I would just as soon buy it and pocket the remaining cash. But, if you want the "experience" buy the new one. Only you can decide that for yourself. Best of luck...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still very confused with the Dates thingy. As of the 2 Airkings, the used piece is as new, thats is the attractive buy point. But worried getting a fake one....:-s

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thing to add. The manufactured date for example : K - 01sep. Should the bracelet reads the same yr of the watch : DT ? Does rolex tally the yr of manufacture on both the bracelet and watch?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Another thing to add. The manufactured date for example : K - 01sep. Should the bracelet reads the same yr of the watch : DT ? Does rolex tally the yr of manufacture on both the bracelet and watch?
Thanks Chris.|>

coltish, your question makes no sense since Rolex never puts a date near a serial number or anywhere on the watch except for some vintage watches which have a stamp on the inside of the case back. In that situation the quarter and year.

I would recommend the LNIB used one if you can authenticate it to your satisfaction. As Chris said, you will save considerable money.

Good hunting, |> =) maverick

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi maverick, as for the dates, i'm using one of the sites as a reference of when it was manufactured. Anyway, it was good information from you guys.:thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts