WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On one hand, I have a deep and emotional dislike of Rolex. Part of that is because I just don’t consider them to be a good watch for the price, and the terrible experience of trying to get one. So, the usual. To me they also represent the “fashion” side of the watch market (as opposed to craftsmanship and jewelry), making the company today an equivalent to MVMT in my mind (alphaM was kind of right... they both suck). EDIT: didn’t mean any of the crossed-out part, was meant as a joke but upon further inspection it doesn’t sound good. I’m not good with jokes, you don’t have to tell me.

The other part, however, is different. I hate them most fervently because, for some reason, a Submariner is just better than the equivalent Tudor. I think it is better than the GS equivalent, even. I hate myself for thinking that, but I’m not alone. Something about these a Rolex watches, they’re special. They’re perfect without being anywhere near perfect. Their feel, their look-I normally despise Mercedes hands, but on a modern Sub I cannot imagine anything else. Other companies make better alternatives, far better alternatives. But for some reason, a Rolex is just better. They have a certain feel, that I cannot describe. Something special.

This special feeling is unfortunately how my watch purchases are usually made. I search around for the best deal, best specs, best watch. But then, just as I have decided on a tried and true path, I find a listing on eBay, just one of many. For some reason, I look closer. And fall in love. Even if it’s a worse deal, if it’s a converted pocket watch made in Ukraine, I have to get it.

And so, Rolex. I may never get one, not because it’s objectively a worse watch than a myriad of others, but because I just cannot. Even though I hate what the brand represents, the overpricing it does. I truly hate them for it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well..... this ought to be good.

Reactions: thx67

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I forgot to add, I you think I’m trying to stir the pot, first read my post, then consider that I’m a little bored and enjoy online discussions (not arguments).

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
So you hate rolex because you think the submariner is a special watch but don't like that you'd have to wait or pay above msrp to get one?

Guys please dont feed the tro... Nevermind

·
Premium Member
21,577 Posts
And I forgot to add, I you think I’m trying to stir the pot, first read my post, then consider that I’m a little bored and enjoy online discussions (not arguments).
Maybe change the title of the thread if it isn't your intention to stir the pot. It's clickbait that will attract the haters, and it will rapidly downspiral from that point onwards.

Reactions: mumblypeg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you hate rolex because you think the submariner is a special watch but don't like that you'd have to wait or pay above msrp to get one?

sounds like a familiar story...

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Not exactly. I hate Rolex primarily for the “fashion” aspect they seem to portray, and for the overpriced watches. But what I’m talking about here really is that, although objectively (to me) it is a terrible watch, something about it makes me actually consider getting it, over many other objectively “better” watches.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe change the title of the thread if it isn't your intention to stir the pot. It's clickbait that will attract the haters, and it will rapidly downspiral from that point onwards.
Is this better? I don’t really have any ideas for a better title. I know why that isn’t a good title, just don’t know what else to call it.

·
Premium Member
21,577 Posts
The fact of the matter is that modern Rolexes are incredibly well balanced watches, there might be watches that are better in some regard, but not better in all aspects (at least at a comparable or lower price). In particular, I find the precision with which their cases and bracelets are manufactured to be unsurpassed, and the movement accuracy they are able to achieve in a mass produced product is impressive. But, most importantly, their watches are very wearable, they aren't needlessly thick and bulky, and don't all have levels of water resistance that almost nobody will ever need.

·
Premium Member
21,577 Posts
Is this better? I don’t really have any ideas for a better title. I know why that isn’t a good title, just don’t know what else to call it.
Yes, I think it is better. But, the thread will still downspiral once the usual haters show up, it's the WUS equivalent of Godwin's law.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, I think it is better. But, the thread will still downspiral once the usual haters show up, it's the WUS equivalent of Godwin's law.
I guess I didn’t think it through all the way when I posted it. I usually only read the first page or two of posts like this, before they go off the rails. What haters are you talking about? Haters of Rolex, or haters of haters of Rolex? Or both? Or both united by their hatred of me?

1 - 20 of 154 Posts