WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have been round the houses half a dozen times and I have finally concluded that Rolexes look best on the bracelet they come with. I have tried my Subs and Explorers on:

- A Rubber B strap
- An Isofrane Strap (big fan)
- Many NATO straps (pick of the bunch - Zuludiver from Oz)
- Many Perlon straps (pick of the bunch - Eulit Panama)
- Several leather straps (pick of the bunch - Di Modell Rallye)

But none seems to have lasting appeal compared to the bracelet. I think it has something to do with the slightly smaller size of the current and past Rolex case to modern eyes. The bracelet makes the watch look slighter bigger, the various straps I have tried slightly smaller. Maybe it also has something to do with the iconic nature of the brand.

I love my Seiko divers on rubber straps and I find my Omegas and Tudors quite at home on bracelet, leather and NATO.

Anyone else have the same view - or the opposite (and apologies if this has already been done to death somewhere)?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Agreed 100%, that's the same reason I keep coming back to original bracelet. But I haven't tried he end link leather strap yet and would like to get one of that for my explorer 114270. I believe with the end link strap it will have a different look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
297 Posts
I think the most fun is how quickly a strap or bracelet change can alter the look of any watch. I agree with you though that the best looking rolex is factory original.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I think it's bracelet or NATO for me. The bracelet probably looks best but the NATO is so practical, it allows me to wear the watch without any worries at all. Leather has never made any sense at all to me. I understand that the vast majority of us are never going to dive in a Submariner but still the illogical nature of wearing a dive watch on leather baffles me. I'm odd like that though.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I wear my Sub-C on a Hirsch pure rubber quite often. I like how it wears and also how it takes some shininess away from it.

But I've been wearing it on the bracelet for the past few months and enjoy it as well.

Funny, at 40mm, it wears as one of my bigger watches.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Normally when I buy a new watch, I order leather straps and NATOs immediately for it. I've had my OP 39 for 1.5 months maybe and have had no desire at all to order additional straps.
I owned a 14060 for about 6 months as well and same thing; always went back to bracelet. I think I wore it on a NATO a handful of times.

Although it's a personal preference, I find watches with functional bezels (i.e. divers, GMTs, etc) look good on NATO. Watches with polished bezels (like the OP), do not.
I've seen many pics of Explorers on NATO - sorry, looks way better on the bracelet.

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
I used to HATE watches on bracelets until Rolex changed my mind!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I just don't like the bracelets. Every Rolex I buy or for that matter any new watch I at least try the original bracelet.
But, after a day or two I take it off and store it away so at least I will have it if I decide to sell the watch.
Anyway, here in Thailand, particularly in Bangkok, a Rolex on a bracelet and a cyclops eye is like wearing a neon sign on my wrist saying, 'steal me'.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I wear my Sub-C on a Hirsch pure rubber quite often. I like how it wears and also how it takes some shininess away from it.

But I've been wearing it on the bracelet for the past few months and enjoy it as well.

Funny, at 40mm, it wears as one of my bigger watches.

I did not like the Hirsch Pure (got the blue one this week). My previous strap (Hirsch Accent) had spoiled me. It's just much better (and expensive too).

To the OP, yes Rolex does indeed look best on bracelet (disclaimer I have never owned one). My favorite for the Tudor Black Bay though is the supplied fabric strap, Rolex just doesn't come with one. The vintage Rolexes look best on nylon or straps.

·
14,559 Posts
First, the only Rolex that I have on leather is my 116519 WG Daytona, and it is only made for straps due to the weird/fused end links. Otherwise, I only use NATOs, and I don't wear them for aesthetics, but for functionality. My 16570 lives on a NATO for hiking/skiing in cold climates where it must have proper fitment over a large thick winter coat. My 16600 lives on a NATO so that it can have proper fitment over a 5mm wetsuit. Anything else on a NATO is due to the fact that it is more vintage and it was acquired without a bracelet. I am slowly trying to acquire OEM bracelets to go on all of those.

I love Rolex bracelets, but I do wear a couple of my watches as they were intended, and I will take functionality over looks any day for those watches.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i found non-tapered straps make the watch look bigger...
Agreed. I find Rolex bracelets taper just enough to balance aesthetics and comfort. For those with smaller wrist, like myself, the tapered bracelet helps make the watch more proportional on the wrist too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts