WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking about getting a rolex but breitling looks like u get more bang for the buck( looks wise). what are some opinions

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I have one of each and they are both great watches. You won't go wrong with either. I have a Rolex SeaDweller and a Breitling Avenger Seawolf.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Both great watch brands, but different animals.

I wish that Rolex would increase the size of the Sub by 2mm or 3mm, 40mm looks too small on me.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I don't see them as different animals at all. They are both made for the same job, deep saturation diving. Both are over-engineered way beyond the point of any diving capability of man at this time and probably for a long time to come. Besides materials and incidental design differences the purpose is the same. The reason I like the Rolex better is that it is a proven design because it is the only watch to have been used on the deepest working dives that man has done and it has been around a lot longer. I don't think it should be made larger or cut from Titanium because it would no longer be just what I stated earlier, proven and with a history, although I would like to see an upgraded clasp at it's price point. I would not like the size changed and would not get one if they did up-size it. I find it refreshing to wear a slightly smaller watch like the SeaDweller at times.

That being said, the Breitling is more than likely capable of deeper diving and is definately more bang for the buck at less than half the price and more than twice the depth rating. It's movement is flawless and it is one of the most accurate and reliable watches that I own. The crystal is larger and nicer and the dial is easier to read. The bezel and crown are easier and smoother to operate, especially with gloves on. The bracelets are similar in design and each has it's pros and cons so I would call it a draw on that feature. The lume is lacking on the Seawolf but could easily be upgraded. The Titanium is easier scratched, but also easier to refinish to a new look on your own.

In my case I will keep them both.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't see them as different animals at all. They are both made for the same job, deep saturation diving. Both are over-engineered way beyond the point of any diving capability of man at this time and probably for a long time to come. Besides materials and incidental design differences the purpose is the same. The reason I like the Rolex better is that it is a proven design because it is the only watch to have been used on the deepest working dives that man has done and it has been around a lot longer. I don't think it should be made larger or cut from Titanium because it would no longer be just what I stated earlier, proven and with a history, although I would like to see an upgraded clasp at it's price point. I would not like the size changed and would not get one if they did up-size it. I find it refreshing to wear a slightly smaller watch like the SeaDweller at times.

That being said, the Breitling is more than likely capable of deeper diving and is definately more bang for the buck at less than half the price and more than twice the depth rating. It's movement is flawless and it is one of the most accurate and reliable watches that I own. The crystal is larger and nicer and the dial is easier to read. The bezel and crown are easier and smoother to operate, especially with gloves on. The bracelets are similar in design and each has it's pros and cons so I would call it a draw on that feature. The lume is lacking on the Seawolf but could easily be upgraded. The Titanium is easier scratched, but also easier to refinish to a new look on your own.

In my case I will keep them both.
I was referring to the brands not just the diver's watches.

·
Registered
294 Posts
JUst my humble opinion, but I think the Breitlings are too big and do not look right. Kind of look fake. One of my friends has a Breitline Titanium, and it just feels cheap, cause it is so light. The reason I like the Rolexes are proved design, history, and easy resell. Two other brands besides Rolex that I desire are IWC and Ulesse Nardin. Both brands make very very nice watches. Love the IWC pilot series and the UN GMT big date and their dive watches.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Both brands make very fine watches.
I would begin the collection with Rolex (first things first) , and then complete it with a Navitimer or a Speedmaster, or both, and then ... :)))
Cheers,
Christian

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
Rolex by a long mile.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Wow...great trio Christian...:p :p :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you own a Hummer with 24" spinners get a Breitling, if you have a bit of class get a Rolex:-D

Jokes aside they are both good brands.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Sea-Dweller and wear it every day. I love the Breitling Avenger Seawolf, but I think I would find myself putting on my Sea-Dweller after a week or two of wearing the Avenger.

As far as Hummers and spinners go they are far better than the Donk's that the kids think are so cool. they even have remote control versions of donk's now. Ughhhh.....:roll:

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you own a Hummer with 24" spinners get a Breitling, if you have a bit of class get a Rolex:-D
I drive a Prius, what watch should I consider to go appropriately with that?

(Have a Rolex Datejust that suited my sporty car days, now wear an OM for easy visibility of the hands - wanting something new tho)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get the Rolex. I originally went with the Breitling Chronomat Evolution two tone black face. IMO the Breitling Chronomat Evolution ascetically is the superior watch but I went through two of them and both had issues with the movement. I now have a Yacht-Master which I got yesterday and love it. No problems at all. While the Breitling looks great the function of the watch is what you are paying for and the Breitling gets <|<|.

Joe

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a friend who has a breitling and never had any problems, and the same with rolex. both brands are great, but i am leaning towards breitling because it is more of my taste. maybe when i am 60 i will get a rolex

1 - 20 of 185 Posts