WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife just bought me the Blue Rolex OP 39mm and I have a Blue Omega Master co-ax so I figured why not do a side by side review of sorts.

I've put both of them on after market alligator straps cos thats how I like wearing them to work, somehow dealing with a bracelet all day long at work has gotten tiring and I vastly prefer straps now.

Analog watch Watch accessory Watch Strap Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery
Rolex has really hit it out of the park with this new release. We finally have something we can call modern, trendy and dare I say youthful. I was initially put off by the green dots in pictures, but it works in person and it grows on you. It gives much needed color and relief for the dial, which would otherwise end up being flat and dull. Its small enough to not be distracting yet visible enough to catch your eye and provide something interesting. The sunray finish was a good move as well, and they have picked a really unique shade of blue that transforms in varying light conditions

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The Aquaterra is a bit more sporty, modern and rugged looking while maintaining solid dress cues with the dial execution. I for one prefer the Master co-ax over the other variations simply because I do not like the framed date window on the other models, and I prefer darker subtle date windows to contrasting white ones. The overall design, dial and aesthetic is a true winner from Omega, one of their absolute best watches to come out. (PS : Notice the depth on the AT dial but also look at the green markers on the Rolex on this pic and how they catch the eye, nicely done)

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Brown

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Dial :
Completely different styles so hard to pick a favorite here. The stripes and raised triangular markers are gorgeous on the Omega, the flat markers,hands and simplistic dial with a touch of color has a certain restrained refinement which is appealing in a different way. Both of them do metallic blue really well, the Omega is a bit more "blue" than the Rolex, the Rolex almost appears black from a distance in the dark.

Crystal:
The crystal on the Rolex doesnt seem to have AR coating from what I can tell, if it does its not that good, it does catch light and reflect, dial visibility is definitely poorer than the Omega and you lose visibility from angles ( you can see this in the pictures quite easily) that said, the flat crystal looks purposeful and the reflections work well with the polished bezel to catch light.

The Aquaterra crystal is stunning to say the least, it does full justice to the dial, slightly curved, exceptional AR coating that just makes the crystal disappear and still not that much of a fingerprint magnet like a Breitling.

Finishing:
Polishing on the 904 steel is exceptional, the fine edges on the case, the sides, and the bezel look outstanding. Only Grand Seiko has this level of finish in this price point.

Omega while good, doesn't quite match the 904's level of finishing that Rolex does.

Bracelet:
The bracelet even though I don't use it, is one of the best I've handled on both of them. The Omega bracelet is heavier, chunkier while the Rolex is a bit slimmer and form fitting. I find the Rolex bracelet to be more comfortable than the Omega for regular wear, but the Omega has a more appealing look so its really down to what you prefer. Chunkier flashier look - Omega, slim, easier to wear, subtle look - Rolex

Movement:

This is going to stir up way too much arguments and confusion so I'm just gonna say I'll leave this be. Both are good in-house movements with their pro's and con's. Anti-magnetic co-ax movement from Omega is stunning to look at and works great, the Rolex is a proven movement with many modern updates and I'm sure will hold its own for a long time to come.

Wearing them:
The Omega is certainly a heavier watch being bigger and chunkier. It feels a bit more top heavy when worn, but can catch the eye from a distance with those superb markers that gleam in light. The Rolex is easier to wear, slim, and elegant and is one of the easiest daily wear watches to recommend. It doesnt scream as much for attention but still has an appealing, professional look. On strap, both of them are supremely comfy and IMO look quite good on black contrast stitched straps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As a fellow OP39 owner I agree with what you say, especially the part about the bracelet. I thought of putting mine on a strap but I'd miss the bracelet.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Beautiful watches, great comparo, thx for taking the time!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Beautiful watches no doubt. I am partial to the aesthetics of the Omega: the curveD lugs, the textured dial, the hour markers, and the hands all look more sophisticated to me. Obviously the Rolex has a more classic design that will appeal to many. The Omega's display back is a nice perk too. Would love to hear what about the Rolex finishing you find better as Omega usually does a good job.

BTW I'm officially jealous as those are 2 classy watches!

NM

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would love to hear what about the Rolex finishing you find better as Omega usually does a good job.
NM
The steel probably has a lot to do with it, there is a certain feel to the 904 that just feels nicer in the hand than 316, its softer and smoother feeling overal

The polishing is just a tad nicer on the Rolex and its like the mirror finish on the Grand Seikos. The edging on the case and the shaping just looks a bit more precise and nicer.Its really hard to describe it though, most folks would probably call it a tie, but in my hands, the Rolex just feels a tad more precision made when you look at case manufacturing, polishing and brushing wise and the bracelet being 904 as well certainly does help in that overall feel

That said the markers on the Omega looks stunning and are much nicer made than the simple sticks Rolex use and catch light in ways the Rolex just cannot.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Great all around watches! Thanks for sharing the comparison and the pics.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
It's funny how you mention GS as it's ultimately what I wound up going with when deciding between it and these two. As you mention, comparable standards for the little they are asking is hard to pass up. Got my wife the exact same Oyster Perpetual model though, which she absolutely loves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's funny that you made this thread. I was looking for this EXACT comparison (same models and colour variation). Thank you sir! Great work. Wear both in good health.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It's interesting to note that to my eye, the Rolex OP39 looks more like the original Omega AT 2500 series blue starburst dial watch than the later Omega AT. Nice report.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
At the moment there's a thread running about quality watches that don't shout "conspicuous consumption". It's interesting that of these two, it's not the Omega.
Sorry but the Rolex crown is a worldwide sign of conspicuous consumption. The Omega could be made of gold and encrusted with diamonds but it would inspire less jealously than a Rolex. Now I have nothing against Rolex - it makes fantastic watches and I will probably own one someday....but there's no Rolex than truly flies under the radar. Most people recognize the Rolex symbol and know what it means.

Cheers,
NM

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This a really great pair of watches to have together.

I personally prefer the AT (obvious given I have two), but the OP is a beautiful sidekick. I have to say, I like it a lot on the alligator - more so than on the bracelet.

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
Thanks! It is a good read! Both excellent Watches! Superb pictures, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great comparison of two awesome watches. I hope to pick up a 114300 with rhodium dial this year after my forthcoming nuptials, though the AT looks better on the brown strap I have to say! Would love to see the rhodium on a strap...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts