WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Looking at a 1978 (ish) Oyster Perpetual that has a silver dial and gold plated/filled/capped case and strap. I am new to Rolex and was wondering if Rolex did indeed issue such watches around this period (mid to late 70's). The watch is on offer by Neil at Chronomaster who has an excellent reputation, I'm just checking as I am new to the world of Rolex, so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Yup, Rolex did make 14K Gold Capped Date and Oyster Perpetual models through the late 80's. They put on a thick layer of gold that generally holds up well to 'normal' use, but I've seen some on the pre owned market that show signs of wear through to the stainless steel under the gold plating.

If the gold is in good condition, then expect the case back and the under side of the bracelet to shine with stainless steel, that's normal. Also, if it's in good condition, it's really tough to tell it's plated when worn...so, if you get this, onlly you and your watchmaker will know the secret.

Do some comparative shopping because the solid 14K Date models show up with some frequency on the auction site and occasionally on sales forums and you wouldn't want to spend on a plated one what you might have gotten a solid for. For whatever the reason, the market is soft for the 14K models and decent deals are to be had for buyers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts