WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well......its back..arrived this morning...and i must say its nice to have her back after approx 10wks...takes the sting out of having to sell the other example i had.....

Although the other one was a slightly earlier example, a sought after Gen 1 example with the non Cosc movement..and dial...its was the blackdialled model i had searched for....if only i didn't have to balance the books all the time....my collection would be immense...sigh....

Anyway..a few quick shots of the OysterQuartz....Ref 17000 C 1980....its not perfect..having a few pits in the case and bracelet..and a slight crease in one of the links..but in fairness, Rolex have done a great job..the watch was a one owner from new..and had been worn everyday for nearly 30yrs....

My only real concern is the way the second hand clicks round..it seems slightly erractic..not hitting he indices in the same position each time....some kind of backlash slack....can any other owners confirm whether this is normal...i would suspect not on a movement of this calibre..!!!

Notwithstanding this...the Oysterquartz is a fine watch.... overlooked by many collectors....much like most of the other quality electronic and quartz watches out there......their loss!!!

Anyway enjoy my rather poor pics....safe in the knowledge i am enjoying her for real.

K

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I have an identical OysterQuartz (circa 1978-1979) and I love it!!! It was on my wrist for the past 2 months until couple days ago when I switched it for a mechanical watch. I love everything about the OysterQuartz; case, styling, and bracelet. It's quite accurate for a quartz watch; loosing about 2 seconds per month (or 24 seconds annualized):-!.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I had an Oysterquartz a few years ago and the seconds hand alignment was no better than that of any other quartz movement. All the high end quartz watch seconds hands, Swiss, German and Japanese, display some misalignment, some more, some less. The only watch I've seen whose alignment was perfect was a relatively inexpensive Citizen. It used an unconventional movement that I've seen referred to sometimes as fly-by-wire. I have an RC Citizen which is better than most but it isn;t perfect.
I posted a series of photos showing a quartz movement that a friend and I
dismantled in an effort to find out why there was misalignment. We didn't solve the mystery but one thing it's clearly not is lash in the gearing. There are a few other things that it's not, too, but we never did find a reasonable cause; certainly not one that would apply across the board.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts