WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My aim wasn’t to “move the conversation forward”. My aim was to imply that you carelessly spent potentially thousands of dollars on a watch without doing any research as to what the genuine article should properly look like…., chief.
Your ignorance and presumption is astounding. I know my watches well, own plenty of them and did a tremendous amount of research before this purchase. This is a well-known jeweler in NYC and someone I've purchased multiple watches from before, all of which were serviced AT ROLEX on 53rd and 5th with no issue. He had 15-20 pepsi references I was looking through and I simply assumed this was a service bezel or a variation I had not seen yet. He has let me return watches I was not happy with as well as swap out watches for others if I wasn't happy with the purchases. We have a good, long-standing relationship so I had zero concerns about the end result of my purchase. My suspicion about the bezel is precisely why I made this original post. To get opinions and insight as to whether or not a bezel like this had been seen before. Those are the facts, chief.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Glad he admitted this but it sounds like the dealer is a bit of a chancer and hoped you wouldn't spot it. I have a dealer near me that does stuff like that. His stuff is legit but its quite often scruffy or got links missing and hes full of empty phrases like "this one has been thoroughly checked by our technicians". "box and papers" can easily mean a box and a receipt from them. Devil is in the details with dealers like that and I certainly wouldn't risk a high value purchased from them. Best of luck resolving this one.
I've bought several watches from him over the years and we have a very good relationship. He's allowed me to return or swap out watches if I was unhappy with the purchases. I've bought at least 7 watches from him over the last 15 years so I was far more willing to take a chance than with a seller I had no history with.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Congratulations on a great watch. An insert is easily replaced and frankly the least important part of the watch. Case, dial, lume and crystal condition are really what’s important. You can swap out the bezel insert later, change the color of the insert depending on the mood or occasion, it’s the fun part of the watch.

Wear it in good health.

Cheers

W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. He's already agreed to let me look through the genuine bezels he has to replace it. He's a stand up guy and a well-known jeweler here in NYC.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Glad he admitted this but it sounds like the dealer is a bit of a chancer and hoped you wouldn't spot it. I have a dealer near me that does stuff like that. His stuff is legit but its quite often scruffy or got links missing and hes full of empty phrases like "this one has been thoroughly checked by our technicians". "box and papers" can easily mean a box and a receipt from them. Devil is in the details with dealers like that and I certainly wouldn't risk a high value purchased from them. Best of luck resolving this one.
I've bought several watches from him over the years and we have a very good relationship. He's allowed me to return or swap out watches if I was unhappy with the purchases. I've bought at least 7 watches from him over the last 15 years so I was far more willing to take a chance than with a seller I had no history with. As I said earlier he said that he did mention it was not a genuine bezel while I was flipping through the dozen or so Pepsi's he had for me to look at.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Of course he says that...now. If he had actually made a point of indicating it to you prior to the sale, he might be a lot less willing to fix the problem.

But as long as you get the watch you want, let the man save face, I guess, eh?
In our emails afterwards he said that he did tell me that specific one did have a non-gun bezel. He had 15 or so Pepsi's I was looking through and I absolutely could have missed that as I was weighing all the different ones. I absolutely trust him. We've had a long, good relationship over the years and I've bought several watches from him before.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hope you're able to acquire a genuine bezel for the watch; that said, this would heighten all of my senses re: whether other components of the watch are, in fact, not original Rolex parts.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Your ignorance and presumption is astounding. I know my watches well, own plenty of them and did a tremendous amount of research before this purchase. This is a well-known jeweler in NYC and someone I've purchased multiple watches from before, all of which were serviced AT ROLEX on 53rd and 5th with no issue. He had 15-20 pepsi references I was looking through and I simply assumed this was a service bezel or a variation I had not seen yet. He has let me return watches I was not happy with as well as swap out watches for others if I wasn't happy with the purchases. We have a good, long-standing relationship so I had zero concerns about the end result of my purchase. My suspicion about the bezel is precisely why I made this original post. To get opinions and insight as to whether or not a bezel like this had been seen before. Those are the facts, chief.
Let’s be honest here, you bought a watch with an aftermarket bezel without doing any research about it before hand, and your “stand up guy and a well-known jeweler” scammed you when you made the purchase. I honestly hope everything works out for you though.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Let’s be honest here, you bought a watch with an aftermarket bezel without doing any research about it before hand, and your “stand up guy and a well-known jeweler” scammed you when you made the purchase. I Hope everything works out for you.
I already have the genuine replacement bezel and I’m very pleased with my purchase. You should just stick to playing with your Invictas and let the grown ups talk.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I am interested in who the dealer is--47th St. scares the shizzay outta me, and I have a work trip to the NYC area soon. I planned on going there to look around and would much rather deal with someone who, even with contexual vocabulary semantics, is honorable.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I already have the genuine replacement bezel and I’m very pleased with my purchase. You should just stick to playing with your Invictas and let the grown ups talk.

As far as Invicta goes, maybe you should have gone that route yourself, at least you would have known you were getting a non rolex bezel off the bat.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

This begs the qustion why if the dealer has these genuine bezels one of which he has supplied you with is he selling an expensive watch with a non original on it instead of putting on a proper one? Very strange. You say you may missed him telling you it was an aftermarket bezel Thats a lot to miss on an expensive watch .Did he tell you ? .I would if your story is accurate have taken the refund You should have that watch checked out as something is wrong about the whole thing I would also have expected this after market bezel to have been mentioned on the reciept as this could really damage the sellers reputation if it had come to light further along the line .

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts

This begs the qustion why if the dealer has these genuine bezels one of which he has supplied you with is he selling an expensive watch with a non original on it instead of putting on a proper one? Very strange. You say you may missed him telling you it was an aftermarket bezel Thats a lot to miss on an expensive watch .Did he tell you ? .I would if your story is accurate have taken the refund You should have that watch checked out as something is wrong about the whole thing I would also have expected this after market bezel to have been mentioned on the reciept as this could really damage the sellers reputation if it had come to light further along the line .
As @casper461 wrote, I too would be suspect of anything "my guy" sold me for the reasons he stated. With such a good relationship and legitimate bezels in stock, why would he be selling watches with fake bezels? Why would he be selling them to a good customer? @Tony Ricciardi I am not faulting you for not realizing the bezel was fake, you are buying from someone you trust but I do question the the integrity of the seller under the circumstances. I have cut off AD's/SA's for less. It does sound like you have gotten it resolved to your satisfaction, which is a good thing.

I truly feel that AD's and SA's get cocky and overconfident thinking they can get over on customers.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

Wait wait wait, So the guy who sold you the watch already had a “genuine replacement bezel” all along and he still sold you a watch with an aftermarket bezel?

41 - 60 of 97 Posts