WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Wait wait wait, So the guy who sold you the watch already had a “genuine replacement bezel” all along and he still sold you a watch with an aftermarket bezel?
No, Tommy. Nice try though. He purchased a replacement genuine bezel from another jeweler while I was there and had the replacement bezel put on by a service tech who confirmed everything on the watch was genuine and in good working order. Your ignorance is truly astounding. Rather than trying to be clever which is clearly not a skill you possess, you should instead ask questions rather than make ignorant assumptions. You can go away now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
No, Tommy. Nice try though. He purchased a replacement genuine bezel from another jeweler while I was there and had the replacement bezel put on by a service tech who confirmed everything on the watch was genuine and in good working order. Your ignorance is truly astounding. Rather than trying to be clever which is clearly not a skill you possess, you should instead ask questions rather than make ignorant assumptions. You can go away now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure he did.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The issue I (and several others) have is that if the dealer was willing to sell a watch with such an obvious inauthentic bezel insert, how do you know the bezel insert is the only inauthentic part in/on the watch? I would have an independent watchmaker inspect it to verify it isn't a franken. Your guy might not have any ill intentions, but he just might not know what is or isn't non-Rolex, or he might have been too lazy to check. Putting that watch up for sale with that insert strikes me, at best, as extremely lazy,

I'm curious, though. If he had a dozen other GMT-Masters, what drew you to the one with that bezel insert? Was it heavily discounted?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The issue I (and several others) have is that if the dealer was willing to sell a watch with such an obvious inauthentic bezel insert, how do you know the bezel insert is the only inauthentic part in/on the watch? I would have an independent watchmaker inspect it to verify it isn't a franken. Your guy might not have any ill intentions, but he just might not know what is or isn't non-Rolex, or he might have been too lazy to check. Putting that watch up for sale with that insert strikes me, at best, as extremely lazy,

I'm curious, though. If he had a dozen other GMT-Masters, what drew you to the one with that bezel insert? Was it heavily discounted?
If I were the OP, I would send the watch directly to RSC to get an estimate on routine service. RSC will refuse service on a watch that is a franken. He can refuse the service and be out shipping but at least he would know for sure.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I brought it to a service tech who's very good in Diamond District who confirmed everything was authentic, but I will still bring it to Rolex to verify it all. I've brought several watches to them. While they won't authenticate alone, they will do it as part of a general servicing. That's my plan.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

I was drawn to the patina and the overall condition of the watch which was very good. Yes it was less expensive than others he had to show me and he explained later that the non-roles bezel was the reason. He says he explained that as I was looking over the dozen or so Pepsi's he had. I entirely believe he did tell me and I missed it as I was looking them all over.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I brought it to a service tech who's very good in Diamond District who confirmed everything was authentic, but I will still bring it to Rolex to verify it all. I've brought several watches to them. While they won't authenticate alone, they will do it as part of a general servicing. That's my plan.
Good plan. Trust but verify. Nothing wrong with keeping them honest if ya know what I mean. (y)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was drawn to the patina and the overall condition of the watch which was very good. Yes it was less expensive than others he had to show me and he explained later that the non-roles bezel was the reason. He says he explained that as I was looking over the dozen or so Pepsi's he had. I entirely believe he did tell me and I missed it as I was looking them all over.
You see the problem i have with what you are saying is that you keep changing the story to suit the questions being asked .From not hearing him tell you about the bezel you now say he told you and sold you the watch at a lower price because of it .

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You see the problem i have with what you are saying is that you keep changing the story to suit the questions being asked .From not hearing him tell you about the bezel you now say he told you and sold you the watch at a lower price because of it .
It's been full of inconsistencies and changes depending on what he's responding to.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Good, because I agree with KABAROV that the dial might have been re-lumed. The lume looks wavy to me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
We start off with you buy the watch from a reputable jeweller When asked a question the jeweller becomes one who you have bought a lot of watches from We then go from from him letting you look at all the bezels he has to replace yours to him having to purchase one .Then we have the reason it was cheaper was because it had a non Rolex bezel . You tell us you are a seasoned watch buyer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
He says he told me as I was looking over the watches that this particular one has a non-Rolex bezel. He may or may not have. I can't say for sure. Considering he's a very reputable dealer with a long history in the diamond district and considering that I've bought watches from him before with no issue, I have no reason to doubt what he claims. I was looking over more than a dozen watches with my loupe and very well may have missed what he said about the bezel. The watch I bought was about $800 less than the others I was looking at in the same range. When speaking with him on my subsequent visit back, he says that he did tell me about the bezel and that's why it was less than the other watches. I don't really understand your point. I'm not trying to protect him. Why would I? I readily admit that I should have known it was not an authentic bezel. I was working under the assumption that it was a variation or possible a different service bezel. I've bought from him before and trust him implicitly so I didn't have any concerns about authenticity or having the ability to return the watch if anything at all was wrong with it in any way. Is that clear?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
We start off with you buy the watch from a reputable jeweller When asked a question the jeweller becomes one who you have bought a lot of watches from We then go from from him letting you look at all the bezels he has to replace yours to him having to purchase one .Then we have the reason it was cheaper was because it had a non Rolex bezel . You tell us you are a seasoned watch buyer.
Sorry. I did not give my entire life story in the first post. I had a simple question about a questionable bezel. I did not think I would need to replay the entire chain of events that led up to my original post.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.