WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I took my father's Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust (from late 60s) for Restoration at Toronto Rolex Centre. They have given me an estimate of approx. $2200 for a complete restoration (includes servicing, new dial & hands and a new bracelet). This seems a little too much to me. Please advice if anyone came across any experience of similar nature, also if this price estimate seems ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
A lot of that is probably the bracelet. Also, a service alone used to run $550 USD and I've heard it's up to $750 now. Someone else may be able to confirm that.

You could see about getting the service done by a certified independent instead. The work might be cheaper, but be aware the parts won't be.

If you can't (or don't want to) afford the bracelet replacement, you could consider either having the bracelet repaired (there are some companies on the internet who advertise doing this, though I cannot make any specific recommendations), or you might give some thought to taking it off the bracelet and wearing the watch on a strap instead. That is what I did with my dad's. DJs look great on straps. You can always have the bracelet replaced or repaired later. Just put it away in storage until then.

Jeannie

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Hi guys,

I took my father's Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust (from late 60s) for Restoration at Toronto Rolex Centre. They have given me an estimate of approx. $2200 for a complete restoration (includes servicing, new dial & hands and a new bracelet). This seems a little too much to me. Please advice if anyone came across any experience of similar nature, also if this price estimate seems ok?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Jeannie,

They are charging $590 for the bracelet which to me sounded ok but you're right for servicing it was $750 and then $800 for the new dial, hands and a new acrylic crystal. They technician said it'll be in a condition similar to what it was in 60s, they are also giving a 5 year worldwide Rolex warranty. Keeping in mind its a high end watch, still I feel or may I wasnt expecting this much for a restoration. Seconldy I thought about the strap option as well but mind doesn't agree to it!

Thanks for the welcome.

A lot of that is probably the bracelet. Also, a service alone used to run $550 USD and I've heard it's up to $750 now. Someone else may be able to confirm that.

You could see about getting the service done by a certified independent instead. The work might be cheaper, but be aware the parts won't be.

If you can't (or don't want to) afford the bracelet replacement, you could consider either having the bracelet repaired (there are some companies on the internet who advertise doing this, though I cannot make any specific recommendations), or you might give some thought to taking it off the bracelet and wearing the watch on a strap instead. That is what I did with my dad's. DJs look great on straps. You can always have the bracelet replaced or repaired later. Just put it away in storage until then.

Jeannie

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
New ss datejusts are(depending on bezel & bracelet) list price= US$5825., $5925., $6875., $6975. gray mkt. prices=US$4971., $5068., $5869.,
$5966.
$2200. for restoration/bracelet/new dial & hands etc. done by RSC........once you get the watch back you'll forget about the expense.

·
Registered
476 Posts
They are charging $590 for the bracelet which to me sounded ok but you're right for servicing it was $750 and then $800 for the new dial, hands and a new acrylic crystal. They technician said it'll be in a condition similar to what it was in 60s, they are also giving a 5 year worldwide Rolex warranty. Keeping in mind its a high end watch, still I feel or may I wasnt expecting this much for a restoration. Seconldy I thought about the strap option as well but mind doesn't agree to it!
Are you okay with loosing the patina on the dial and hands? One of the advantages to going to an independent watchmaker is that he could leave the old face and hands. That would save money, but also leave you with the patina, showing the visual history. My understanding is the Rolex must replace the older parts. Personal preference on your part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Repling to the last post, when I had my datejust serviced they also wanted to charge me for a new dial and hands but i didnt ok those so i saved a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That is a very expensive dial you have chosen for that watch....8)

You know, for a vintage watch, the value is in the original dial and hands, so unless you really need those changed because of disintigration, I would leave them alone... The acrylic crystal should be part of the Service Charge...

Still, when they're done, it will be as close to new as you can get.. Ready for another few decades if taken care of, and aonther heir..

·
Registered
677 Posts
Do you really need a new dial and hands? The old may be somewhat patina'd, but it should still work. The patina is part of the charm of a vintage watch, and in many cases a large part of the value of a vintage Rolex, though I'm not aware of any especially valuable vintage DJ dials, like some vintage dials like the Red Submariner and the Tiffany branded dials, which are extremely hard to find and very valuable. For many, the aged dial is a component of the sentimental value of an heirloom watch.

Personally, I'm not much of a bracelet guy, and you can always have it repaired or replaced later, like Jeannie said. In the meantime, the DJ has standard strap attachment and so is compatible with any number of leather straps. Lots of options.

I would just get the $750 service for now. Go with a reliable, known, independent if you want to save some money on that. Bracelet if you really think that's how you'll want to wear the watch vs a leather strap. Dial and hands only if you want it to look new and shiny. But it's not new and shiny, it's old and worn and "preloved," and it should look like that :). My opinion, for whatever it's worth... probably nothing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm surprised at the cost. It should be about $300 (not including bracelet) to overhaul it. If it doesn't need a new dial, don't pop one on it. Same with the hands. Leave it as close to original as possible unless you desperately need to replace them. And even if you do, you can probably find a NOS dial and hand set for a reasonable price online. Truth is, you probably wouldn't get much more than what they want for the servicing if you were to sell it, so it doesn't make sense to do the overhaul at that cost. Shop around for a rolex trained independent (usually retired) watchmaker in your town. Pop up a new thread listing your town and see if anyone can help you out with a contact.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'd like to keep the old dial and hands but Rolex is not giving me an option, they say it must be changed in order to have the full warranty covered. I'll be taking it a person someone recommended but a bit scared. :roll:

Are you okay with loosing the patina on the dial and hands? One of the advantages to going to an independent watchmaker is that he could leave the old face and hands. That would save money, but also leave you with the patina, showing the visual history. My understanding is the Rolex must replace the older parts. Personal preference on your part.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They didn't give me that option and insisted in changing the parts. How was your restoration? are you satisfied?

Repling to the last post, when I had my datejust serviced they also wanted to charge me for a new dial and hands but i didnt ok those so i saved a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you're right but Rolex I believe doesn't leave one with much options!

That is a very expensive dial you have chosen for that watch....8)

You know, for a vintage watch, the value is in the original dial and hands, so unless you really need those changed because of disintigration, I would leave them alone... The acrylic crystal should be part of the Service Charge...

Still, when they're done, it will be as close to new as you can get.. Ready for another few decades if taken care of, and aonther heir..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for these valuable pieces of advice. I originally took the watch for servicing only. There is no intent in selling this watch ever! its very dear to me and I have a lot of emotional attachment to it. I'll be taking it to an independent service professional soon. The are some apprehensions, however, the person I spoke to seemed reasonable and hopefully will be able to satisfy.

I'm surprised at the cost. It should be about $300 (not including bracelet) to overhaul it. If it doesn't need a new dial, don't pop one on it. Same with the hands. Leave it as close to original as possible unless you desperately need to replace them. And even if you do, you can probably find a NOS dial and hand set for a reasonable price online. Truth is, you probably wouldn't get much more than what they want for the servicing if you were to sell it, so it doesn't make sense to do the overhaul at that cost. Shop around for a rolex trained independent (usually retired) watchmaker in your town. Pop up a new thread listing your town and see if anyone can help you out with a contact.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are truly committed to a bracelet replacement then remember postponing will only increase the price of it. I bought my two tone Submariner (with bracelet) new from a reputable local (Boston) Rolex dealer for $2300 ($2875 list) in 1985. The bracelet alone is probably more than that now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts