WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
SEIKO & CITIZEN Moderator
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just sent my rolex to SA for an overhaul about 8 months ago. To make a long story short, I've received my watch back on July this year. When i received my watch it was running +2/ day dead on. Whether putting in the box or on the wrist it was +2 per day. Since then the watch sits in the box longer than it was on my wrist. Just few days ago I started to notice that it was running faster for a few seconds per day. Then I tried to measure it for the past 4 days and noticed that it was running +15 secs sharp per day. Should I send the watch back to SA to have it check and regulate it again? Any kind words are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here is the picture of my 14 years old 15200

Andrew

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi, since it will still be under Rolex service guarantee, yes I would send it in for regulating, after all, you paid the money to have it serviced and hence regulated to cosc specifications.

Also, can you remember placing the watch, or the watch in the box next to anything magnetic (speakers, tv, mobile phone etc), dropping the watch accidently or even not having the watch running for more than a few weeks to a month which might ruin its accuracy?

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Oliver.

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi, since it will still be under Rolex service guarantee, yes I would send it in for regulating, after all, you paid the money to have it serviced and hence regulated to cosc specifications.

Also, can you remember placing the watch, or the watch in the box next to anything magnetic (speakers, tv, mobile phone etc), dropping the watch accidently or even not having the watch running for more than a few weeks to a month which might ruin its accuracy?

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards

Oliver.
Hi thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to head back to SA. Well I put my watch together with other of my other mechanical watches and the accuracy in them seem fine except for my rolex. And also it's obvious that my rolex used to be the most accurate watch but now even my Seiko Monster runs +6 per day :-x Sometimes my rolex sit more than a week in the box and so. But would that cause an accuracy problem? :think: I didn't drop the watch too. Funny thing is I dropped my Fortis and I was so sad knowing that the accuracy gotta be ruined. Then I checked the accuracy on my watch and it was running even more accurate of +1 / 2 days. :-d If my rolex was not magnetized, how could this be happened? Because it has passed the break in period? But my understanding about the SA is that they keep the watch and test it until it gets the actual accuracy.

Andrew

·
Registered
526 Posts
If it was magnetized it would gain in the order of minutes per day since one or more coils of the spring would stick together. Sounds like the adjustment has "drifted" to another range, which is known to happen with mechanicals every now and then. I have seen this happen before and it is normal, although not common. I don't see how not wearing it for months could do this.
Before sending it in, I would wear it every day for another month just in case the accuracy "settles" to another position.

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was magnetized it would gain in the order of minutes per day since one or more coils of the spring would stick together. Sounds like the adjustment has "drifted" to another range, which is known to happen with mechanicals every now and then. I have seen this happen before and it is normal, although not common. I don't see how not wearing it for months could do this.
Before sending it in, I would wear it every day for another month just in case the accuracy "settles" to another position.
ahh.. Thanks for the tip victus. ;-) That's what I was thinking to do too. But from what I remember, SA changed many internal parts of the movement including the main spring so I'm assuming that the movement was not settled yet by the time I received it back. Will wait for more and see if it changes to another position.

·
Registered
526 Posts
But from what I remember, SA changed many internal parts of the movement including the main spring/quote]

Ok, now this is starting to make sense. New parts and old parts have different tolerances. The more time they spend meshing in contact and "breaking in", the closer your watch will settle to its "true" accuracy. There are lots of variables here and one of them is the number of parts they changed.
It's a good idea to wear it and let the movement run for as long as you can before regulating, cause if done too early it will drift out of spec again. Good luck :-!

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, now this is starting to make sense. New parts and old parts have different tolerances. The more time they spend meshing in contact and "breaking in", the closer your watch will settle to its "true" accuracy. There are lots of variables here and one of them is the number of parts they changed.
It's a good idea to wear it and let the movement run for as long as you can before regulating, cause if done too early it will drift out of spec again. Good luck :-!
Yes, I'll let it run for 1 more month. Thanks for pointing that out again. :) Just now I recall that I took some pictures of the replacement parts with my cell phone. Just wondering if I send my watch back to SA surely they will open the case back. Will they do the pressure testing and everything for free of charge? The watch is still under warranty though.

Here are the parts

Andrew

·
Registered
301 Posts
I thought (based on little, error-prone information) that running within COSC was not covered under warranty. The story I heard was COSC is a one-point-in-time certification of how the watch was running. Just like water resistance, it is not guaranteed to hold over time, although water resistance may have warranty coverage while COSC does not.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yep, from the pic it looks like there's a bunch of parts they replaced.
Every time the caseback is opened, they will make sure it meets the WR specification after they close it. In particular, they will replace the gasket if necessary, lube the gasket and pressure test. Rolex includes this under warranty. The last thing they want is your watch to leak.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I thought (based on little, error-prone information) that running within COSC was not covered under warranty. The story I heard was COSC is a one-point-in-time certification of how the watch was running. Just like water resistance, it is not guaranteed to hold over time, although water resistance may have warranty coverage while COSC does not.
COSC specs are covered, at least under the initial purchase warranty.
Mine was +7 new and sent back for regulation, no fee.
I don't know if a service warranty includes this though.

·
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tragic said:
COSC specs are covered, at least under the initial purchase warranty.
Mine was +7 new and sent back for regulation, no fee.
I don't know if a service warranty includes this though.
I see Greg. Hmm.. this is sad if Rolex warranty does not cover COSC. They should at least give warranty to a certain accuracy even if they can't cover COSC. Let's say my watch runs like +30sec a day. In this case it's not fair if rolex said the warranty does not cover the accuracy to a 5 months old fully overhaul rolex. Hopefully the warranty covers COSC. Not to mention that I paid like 1000+ USD for the service.

This is what they gave me.

Andrew

·
Registered
301 Posts
And *I do not know* if COSC is not covered. Just something I read in a different thread on Watchuseek and I do not recall which board it was under, so cannot link to it.

Anyone gone to an AD after 6+ months after purchase to correct an out-of-COSC watch? Did warranty cover it? Also may be that Rolex would cover it and Omega (Swatch Group) would not. I really don't know.

- GregB

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
And *I do not know* if COSC is not covered. Just something I read in a different thread on Watchuseek and I do not recall which board it was under, so cannot link to it.

Anyone gone to an AD after 6+ months after purchase to correct an out-of-COSC watch? Did warranty cover it? Also may be that Rolex would cover it and Omega (Swatch Group) would not. I really don't know.

- GregB
Rolex has nothing to do with Swatch.
All I know is they do consider non cosc a warranty issue from new and I assume the whole term of the initial warranty.
I would suggest the OP contact the service center directly and ask.
An AD might not truly know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts