WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to the service manager, Danielle at the RSC in Ontario. After a discussion about warranties, she told me that they are not transferable. She said if I bought a watch today and sold it privately the next day, the new owner would have no warranty. This came as a surprise since everyone else thinks they can be transferred, even some AD's.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
That's kind of ridiculous if that is true. Who cares who's in possession of it, as long as the watch has the proper documentation.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I'm too lazy to dig up my warranties, but unless the warranty itself says that it is non-transferable or valid only for the original purchaser, then I don't see how Rolex could retroactively limit who may make a warranty claim.

·
Registered
773 Posts
that information is disputable. I know its from an RSC but if i needed to get my DSSD serviced, and they refused me, i would have no issues taking legal action. Which would they rather do , fix my piece for $1000 or spend 3x that amount in legal fees...its a no brainer

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
The NYC service center representative told me pretty much the same thing: warranties aren't transferable.

That said, I recall reading a post a while back about a guy getting his Tudor Black Bay serviced despite not being the original owner at the Dallas RSC.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If I ever ran into this issue, I would never buy a single Rolex product ever again, including Tudors. That's such BS. Warranties follow the product, not the owner. Just like a warranty on a car...Rolex can say what they want but they'd face some serious fallout if this ever broke on the news.

Isn't this why blank warranty cards are often more desirable on the used market? Mine was dated but no name from my private sale.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I purchased a watch from a trusted seller here with the warranty card signed and dated with the original owners name. There were 7 months warranty remaining. I sent it to the Dallas RSC thru a local AD. They had no problem working on it under warranty. This was a year ago.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I believe that when requesting warranty services the less said by the watch owner the better. I have ran into this with high end Spey rods, I have several Winston 15 foot rods which sold for over 1000 dollars new. I took both as second owner and would never say a word about that if I needed service. Generally the high end companies whether they be watch manufacturers or rod makers stand behind the product and don't ask questions.

This does make one think twice before plunking down 5 or more thousand for a per loved Rolex. On the other hand, how often does a watch of this class need warranty work? I don't own one but do have in my possession watches that have either been vibrating (quartz) or beating away for 20 years and are still good as new. The only services I've needed were on vintage pieces that were due for cleaning - lube and regulating.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
not sure if this means much but keep in mind that Rolex in Canada falls under the ROLEX INTERNATIONAL flag whereas Rolex in the United States falls under ROLEX USA's flag...

it is quite possible that the warranty situation differs....either way I'm not saying its one way or the other but I to have been told that the warranty is NOT transferable in Canada....

its a simple fix really..ADS no matter what should have to activate the warranty the day it is sold and it should be registered with Rolex for their records so they know when the warranty began.....this blank card crap sounds all good but Rolex are not stupid...they won't warranty an old model thats clearly been worn because some guy filled in his own blank card......

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe that when requesting warranty services the less said by the watch owner the better. I have ran into this with high end Spey rods, I have several Winston 15 foot rods which sold for over 1000 dollars new. I took both as second owner and would never say a word about that if I needed service. Generally the high end companies whether they be watch manufacturers or rod makers stand behind the product and don't ask questions.

This does make one think twice before plunking down 5 or more thousand for a per loved Rolex. On the other hand, how often does a watch of this class need warranty work? I don't own one but do have in my possession watches that have either been vibrating (quartz) or beating away for 20 years and are still good as new. The only services I've needed were on vintage pieces that were due for cleaning - lube and regulating.

Good points...

·
Registered
773 Posts
not sure if this means much but keep in mind that Rolex in Canada falls under the ROLEX INTERNATIONAL flag whereas Rolex in the United States falls under ROLEX USA's flag...

it is quite possible that the warranty situation differs....either way I'm not saying its one way or the other but I to have been told that the warranty is NOT transferable in Canada....

its a simple fix really..ADS no matter what should have to activate the warranty the day it is sold and it should be registered with Rolex for their records so they know when the warranty began.....this blank card crap sounds all good but Rolex are not stupid...they won't warranty an old model thats clearly been worn because some guy filled in his own blank card......
i think warranties are the same, whatever country you bought it from. .unless quality control is different in australia compared to watches sold in the usa...lol

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
i think warranties are the same, whatever country you bought it from. .unless quality control is different in australia compared to watches sold in the usa...lol
I can't speak to Rolex warranties, but I know some companies do offer different warranties in different countries...Grand Seiko, for instance.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I bought a Black Bay off of another WUS member who lives back east. It had an issue with the power reserve, so I walked it in to the Beverly Hills Rolex/Tudor service center. The owner's name on the warranty card was obviously different than mine. They serviced the watch under warranty, no problem, no questions asked. Don't know what their official policy is, but they took care of me just fine.

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a Black Bay off of another WUS member who lives back east. It had an issue with the power reserve, so I walked it in to the Beverly Hills Rolex/Tudor service center. The owner's name on the warranty card was obviously different than mine. They serviced the watch under warranty, no problem, no questions asked. Don't know what their official policy is, but they took care of me just fine.
That's good to hear.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I would imagine it works similar to Swatch Group if you need service? I work just down the road from RSC Toronto so if I ever needed service, I was just going to walk right in. This is what I've done twice with my Omegas - walked right up to Swatch Toronto and dropped off the watch at the service desk. Just brought my warranty card with me and they took a copy. I remember one time we couldn't determine if the warranty card was dated "month/day/year" or "day/month/year", because if it was one of the configurations, I was technically out of warranty by a couple of months. They took the watch back and fixed it for free regardless...as any company should do.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts