WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree that it’s an interesting angle. I find it a little far fetched but who knows.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went to an AD today. They had 6 watches in the case. All of them DJ31s and below. 5 had diamonds. That was it. They added pictures of watches to the display to make it look less empty. They also had an iPad keyed up to the Rolex configurator. It was sad. I was going to take a picture, but decided to leave.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Betterthere

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I went to an AD today. They had 6 watches in the case. All of them DJ31s and below. 5 had diamonds. That was it.
Sounds about right...
They added pictures of watches to the display to make it look less empty. They also had an iPad keyed up to the Rolex configurator. It was sad. I was going to take a picture, but decided to leave.
Sounds about right.

I can be easily convinced that hot steel Rolex is used for laundering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Interesting article, I wouldn't be surprised to be honest. I've seen a few online grey dealers accepting crypto as payment too. This would also be a way cleaning your cash.

I purchased my first Rolex back in 2002 and even then Rolex was always the name that people knew even if they didn't "do" watches. With Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok etc being so popular I think Rolex has become even more of a status symbol.

It wasn't too long ago when people were saying that the Apple / Smart watch would be the death of mechanical watch. I think we've got a way to go yet!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Partly yes, easy cash to move around

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In pretty much EVERY police heist they will confiscate the same: drugs, weapons, watches, expensive cars and cash. And not just a watch that the guy is wearing but a bunch of Nautiluses, RO's, Pepsi's that are held with the cash - not as a collection. Always the hot models and often a bunch of the same models

I know I would wear a crazy expensive, highly tradeble watch if I wear a criminal. Going on the run with 100k strapped on your wrist makes life much easier. Flip the watch and wait till you can pick up your hidden stashes when you are less hot. When not on the run you get the status from your highly visible watch - all criminals pretty much know what the hot models are worth.

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
DavidSW must be a criminal then.

Reactions: JCB43 and Pj66

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
Sadly, I wont wear my watch(s) in places like London. Just too many muggings. A few years ago two crooks held a knife to a babies neck for a Rolex. It's bonkers.
What kind of Rolex was the baby wearing?

·
Premium Member
29,459 Posts
Here's an interesting angle that would not have occurred to me.

That’s always been the case. Plenty of Rolex watches when the local auction house sells off confiscated watches from the “proceeds of crime” sale. However, the majority of those watches are diamond studded or in solid gold.

What is more enlightening though is that the report states that ADs in the US are saying that supply hasn’t decreased. See the statements that I copied from the report below;

”We’ve surveyed a dozen Rolex AD’s around the U.S. They report that product flow from Rolex hasn’t decreased significantly. It’s simply not enough to keep up with increased demand. The watches come and go, fasterthanthis.”

^^^ hence the long held believe by many members of WUS that supply got diverted elsewhere is all a myth.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sadly, I wont wear my watch(s) in places like London. Just too many muggings. A few years ago two crooks held a knife to a babies neck for a Rolex. It's bonkers.
That's a thing, too, of course... but an entirely different subject (of simple theft / robbery).

This article stipulates that Rolexes and other expensive watches have become defacto currency in the criminal world. Criminal gangs aren't STEALING Rolexes. They're BUYING them.... as an alternative form of liquidity. It's far easier to carry $20,000+++ on your wrist than in cash money.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s always been the case. Plenty of Rolex watches when the local auction house sells off confiscated watches from the “proceeds of crime” sale. However, the majority of those watches are diamond studded or in solid gold.
This isn't about confiscated goods as a form of punishment / reparations. Yes... criminals have always been in possession of a variety of valuables for their own personal enjoyment... which end up being confiscated in the justice process. Nothing new there.

That's not what this is about at all. This is about the accumulation of Rolexes as a form of currency instead of cash. Cash has a lot of issues with it. Large sums are difficult and dangerous to transport. Cash transactions of $10k, or bigger, are now reported to the gov't. Trading a $20k Rolex isn't reported. Moving $100,000 worth of watch(es) is much easier and more discrete than moving $100,000 in cash paper money.

”We’ve surveyed a dozen Rolex AD’s around the U.S. They report that product flow from Rolex hasn’t decreased significantly. It’s simply not enough to keep up with increased demand. The watches come and go, fasterthanthis.”

^^^ hence the long held believe by many members of WUS that supply got diverted elsewhere is all a myth.
So, it then becomes a matter of who the ADs are selling to. To be fair, we can't expect them to run background checks on purchasers. But, I think the scenario described in the article is entirely plausible.

In the long run, this kind of "PR" won't be good for Rolex. It's a connection Rolex would surely rather not have. “Rolex… no longer the watch of intrepid explorers and adventurers (and well-heeled wannabe adventurers). Rolex… the choice of organized crime, gangsters, drug dealers, and ne’erdoewells.”

Yeah... not the reputation they want, eh?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What kind of Rolex was the baby wearing?
It sadly happens all the time.....

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just reminded of the old Mastercard ad slogan... with a bit of a change....

"There are some things money can't buy. For everything else there's Rolex."

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
In the long run, this kind of "PR" won't be good for Rolex. It's a connection Rolex would surely rather not have. “Rolex… no longer the watch of intrepid explorers and adventurers (and well-heeled wannabe adventurers). Rolex… the choice of organized crime, gangsters, drug dealers, and ne’erdoewells.”

Yeah... not the reputation they want, eh?
Have you not seen the new Rolex advertising campaign? Let me show you...

;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
It’s definitely not far fetched. From a reporting standpoint point it makes sense. Plus I’m sure every gangster has a Rolex and I can see how they connected the dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 48 Posts