·
Registered
453 Posts
I feel better now by knowing that I have bail on my wrist

Reactions: cykrops

·
Registered
349 Posts
Plus, when the Feds catch wind of a big deal going down involving Hulks, Batmans, and Pepsi's, they don't know whether they're rolling up on a bunch of guys with AK's or 3 kids in a treehouse :)

·
Premium Member
29,459 Posts
This isn't about confiscated goods as a form of punishment / reparations. Yes... criminals have always been in possession of a variety of valuables for their own personal enjoyment... which end up being confiscated in the justice process. Nothing new there.

That's not what this is about at all. This is about the accumulation of Rolexes as a form of currency instead of cash. Cash has a lot of issues with it. Large sums are difficult and dangerous to transport. Cash transactions of $10k, or bigger, are now reported to the gov't. Trading a $20k Rolex isn't reported. Moving $100,000 worth of watch(es) is much easier and more discrete than moving $100,000 in cash paper money.

So, it then becomes a matter of who the ADs are selling to. To be fair, we can't expect them to run background checks on purchasers. But, I think the scenario described in the article is entirely plausible.

In the long run, this kind of "PR" won't be good for Rolex. It's a connection Rolex would surely rather not have. “Rolex… no longer the watch of intrepid explorers and adventurers (and well-heeled wannabe adventurers). Rolex… the choice of organized crime, gangsters, drug dealers, and ne’erdoewells.”

Yeah... not the reputation they want, eh?
Yes, Rolex is currency. I was inferring that because every confiscated watch is a Rolex or something rare, the criminals are buying them as assets that hold value.

·
Registered
11,419 Posts
We've seen some wild conspiracy theories these last 5 years but this one takes the cake.

Folks, it's really simple. Rolex doesn't make enough of their fantastic, redesigned watches and there are too many rich guys who want them. It's not a drug cartel hiding in the grassy knoll. It's us, you and me, Rolex enthusiasts. We are battling each other to pay more, VIP flippers and grey dealers are here to answer our call, and it's leading to empty display cases.

Reactions: Mr.Jones82

·
Registered
4,255 Posts

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
It sadly happens all the time.....

Yep. Other European cities may have reputations for petty theft but when it comes to really nasty, wild-eyed, drug-fuelled, zombie-wielding street crime, London takes all those part-timers out the back alley, and kerb-stomps them.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes, Rolex is currency. I was inferring that because every confiscated watch is a Rolex or something rare, the criminals are buying them as assets that hold value.
Yes. But, this article stipulates they're not doing it just for that. They're literally using them as currency. Using them as a way to move assets (and hide assets and transactions).

·
Premium Member
Rolex 116618LN, Rolex MG, Rolex DSSD, Rolex SD43, PAM176, PAM1305, Omega PloProf, SeaMaster300,
739 Posts
I don't recall if it was on this forum or another where some chucklehead suggested a block-chain system for tracking watches. I don't want to resurrect that subject; it just reinforces what has been stated above. And now that our DOJ has hacked the Russian hackers there are real security issues.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I've been pulled over by cops while driving across country and the only thing they seemed interested in was cash. I could have had a 20k-100k watch on and they never would have known. Yet, if I had the same amount of cash in my car it would have been confiscated.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
In the long run, this kind of "PR" won't be good for Rolex. It's a connection Rolex would surely rather not have. “Rolex… no longer the watch of intrepid explorers and adventurers (and well-heeled wannabe adventurers). Rolex… the choice of organized crime, gangsters, drug dealers, and ne’erdoewells.”

Yeah... not the reputation they want, eh?
Perhaps they're not overly keen on that in Geneva, but I bet this developing reputation suits a growing proportion of its end-customers quite well. I reckon there's a rapidly-growing cohort of white-collar types who fancy themselves as ballers or gangstas, and quite like edgy association with crime (albeit one that won't get them or their families shot up of course). Like the cocaine that comes out at dinner parties, there's a sort of frisson of excitement that the middle classes enjoy at this end of the spectrum, where the consumption and decadence happens; an association with activity that gets other people arrested, but not you. Let the Cristal flow.

For anyone who doubts all this, check out the method by which Glasgow Watch Company - a sort of Thug's-Charter internet grey dealer exclusively trading in Rolex assets - advertises the way it does its deals. This is basically Scotland's version of Miami Watch Co, only laden with the insinuation of criminal activity. Rented matt black AMG G-Wagen? Check. Under the arches in the rain? Check. Black leather folio stuffed full of unsequenced notes? Check. Attaché case containing drop-shipped hot steel handcuffed to a very large man in a funereal suit wearing an earpiece? Check. Do people want this? Check!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It sadly happens all the time.....

That's awful man. Really is. I reserve the Rollie for the weekends, nights out, etc. For everyday I throw on the GS for this very reason!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Combination of:
  • People not having anything else to spend money on, given travel restrictions, etc. The article mentions you can't pop down to ADs during lockdowns, but plenty of ways to get around that, especially if you had an existing relationship
  • People getting interested in new hobbies that don't require going out/traveling
  • Strong stock market, plus strong BTC, means people have money to burn
I'm sure money laundering and avoiding currency controls has some effect, but I seriously doubt it'd be enough to move the needle, compared to the above factors.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Rolex has been a commodity and a sign of wealth for drug dealers and other criminals for decades. That was my first introduction to Rolex in the late 60s, early 70s.

This article reminds me of the days when Middle Eastern arms dealers and other black market dealers used to wear solid gold bracelets, rings and neck chains as emergency funds when in need and/or on the run. They could remove a link or two as a payment if needed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sadly, I wont wear my watch(s) in places like London. Just too many muggings. A few years ago two crooks held a knife to a babies neck for a Rolex. It's bonkers.
Oh please. It’s over exaggerated.

I just had a weekend around London and I saw a tonne of Rolex’s worn by many different people including my fluted and Jubilee DJ41

I live in the grimey part of east London and just saw a guy yesterday with a Submariner at 23:30 in Tesco

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Im not saying cartels are the primary factor in rising prices, but watches are becoming increasingly common as a store of value compared to fiat currencies, and rolex especially has the brand recognition to be accepted around the world as currency. CIA operators have talked about their EDC involving a rolex because they can trade that rolex for whatever they need to get out of a sticky situation. As the dollar sinks, the rolex gains in popularity with everyone for all sorts of reasons, including cartels.

Reactions: Mr.Boots

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting, I thought a baby would be more into getting a Kermit.

Im not saying cartels are the primary factor in rising prices, but watches are becoming increasingly common as a store of value compared to fiat currencies, and rolex especially has the brand recognition to be accepted around the world as currency. CIA operators have talked about their EDC involving a rolex because they can trade that rolex for whatever they need to get out of a sticky situation. As the dollar sinks, the rolex gains in popularity with everyone for all sorts of reasons, including cartels.
Should help them remain inconspicuous

·
Premium Member
7,384 Posts
Haha nice

Looks like we are adding a new dimension to this. Is the CIA responsible for the scarcity? Are they funneling them to criminal neo-Contras? Has Hans Wildorf been reanimated as CIA director William Burns? So many questions. Decide for yourself.....

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Haha nice

Looks like we are adding a new dimension to this. Is the CIA responsible for the scarcity? Are they funneling them to criminal neo-Contras? Has Hans Wildorf been reanimated as CIA director William Burns? So many questions. Decide for yourself.....
View attachment 15934196
I can neither confirm nor deny. Too much may have been said already.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts