WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the grainy Picture but this is how it was on Govberg Jewelers FB Page. I am thinking it is from Basle.

skydweller.jpg

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Not much of a dive watch though, is it?...Better pictures in the Rolex Subfora'

·
Registered
540 Posts
I like the complications - the month indicator and semi perpetual calender is trick, but not a fan of the styling. Name also seems forced.

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Lame is the Right Word.

nothing New From Rolex . AGAIN . Same Watches in the Last 60 years.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'll tell ya, IMO anyway, that watch is much cooler than it's initially getting credit for. Almost without fail, new Rolex offerings straight outta the gates get knee-jerk criticisms, both harsh and dismissive, and then later inevitably have a fiercely loyal following. A company like Rolex faces almost impossible expectation from people with any and every release,even a mild refresh. Respecting heritage, and forward thinking leaves waaaay to much room for interpretation, in both aesthetic design and engineering. And, of course, some will never 'get it'. Great thing about there being lots of watches in Rolex's line, and lots of of other makers for that matter, plenty other stuff out there id this ain't your cup 'o tea. But, that seemingly 'for show only' bezel actually working multi-fuction-mechanically in concert with the crown and internals, all the while remaining remarkably true to the fixed fluted bezel look, I for one, am impressed.

I too, admittedly, had hoped for a much sportier watch. A pilot or travel piece I envisioned more along the lines of a beefed up GMT Master, think: Submariner vs. DeepSea. I imagined a 42mm or larger, white-dialed pilot, with a more diver-seque white ceramic bezel, and some kind of advanced GMT integration on the dial. So, seems I was half right. And yeah, that imaginary watch would have hit my sweet spots and pried my wallet open pretty easily. I'll certainly won't be purchasing one of these, it's just not for me. Heck, even it was, just the $42K price-tag of the Sky Dweller takes me right out of the equation. But again, I can't help applaud what is quite possibly the new Rolex Flagship.

My taste or not, I think it's pretty cool. Anyway, that's my 2¢ Flame suit on, let me have it

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I'll tell ya, IMO anyway, that watch is much cooler than it's initially getting credit for. Almost without fail, new Rolex offerings straight outta the gates get knee-jerk criticisms, both harsh and dismissive, and then later inevitably have a fiercely loyal following. A company like Rolex faces almost impossible expectation from people with any and every release,even a mild refresh. Respecting heritage, and forward thinking leaves waaaay to much room for interpretation, in both aesthetic design and engineering. And, of course, some will never 'get it'. Great thing about there being lots of watches in Rolex's line, and lots of of other makers for that matter, plenty other stuff out there id this ain't your cup 'o tea. But, that seemingly 'for show only' bezel actually working multi-fuction-mechanically in concert with the crown and internals, all the while remaining remarkably true to the fixed fluted bezel look, I for one, am impressed.

I too, admittedly, had hoped for a much sportier watch. A pilot or travel piece I envisioned more along the lines of a beefed up GMT Master, think: Submariner vs. DeepSea. I imagined a 42mm or larger, white-dialed pilot, with a more diver-seque white ceramic bezel, and some kind of advanced GMT integration on the dial. So, seems I was half right. And yeah, that imaginary watch would have hit my sweet spots and pried my wallet open pretty easily. I'll certainly won't be purchasing one of these, it's just not for me. Heck, even it was, just the $42K price-tag of the Sky Dweller takes me right out of the equation. But again, I can't help applaud what is quite possibly the new Rolex Flagship.

My taste or not, I think it's pretty cool. Anyway, that's my 2¢ Flame suit on, let me have it
Hey, sell me the white shark diver and you are one step closer to that $42k! :-D

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thought it was going to be more sporty. The roman numerals and fluted bezel kind of kill it. And the shaded box thing to tell me what month it is seems like a a silly gimmick. Were people complaining about day-date?

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Mods please eliminate this thread/post......IMHO it is an unattractive watch, & I don't like to look @ it, it hurts my eyes (this coming from a Rolex fanboy)

Reactions: wristclock

·
G-Shock Mod
14,272 Posts
Way too rich for me but I kinda dig it. Its something new and mechanically its awesome.

Its a watch that think out of the box rather than releases the same watch over and over again in different form like some other Prand .. oh I mean Brand :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
First response said it all - why is this here? Nothing about it indicates it's a diver, especially the name.

"Diver's xxxM" on the dial - no.
High lume indicators - no.
Unidirectional bezel - no.
Lume on the second hand or indicator it's running - no.
Looks like the Submariner - no.

Discussing a "SKYDWELLER" in the Dive forum is a bit much. Words have meanings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts