WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The spider web dial is what I wanted, in speaking with another member, I learned this is authentic as you can get, as the fake dials do not have the spider web on the dials. I found this dial in Europe as the seller really did not know what he had, he thought it was junk and was thinking someone would re do the dial which would have destroyed the value and then the dial would be fake in my eyes and not real. Most dials I have seen are re-painted, re-lumed or some extra printing to make the watch worth more. My dial is authentic and it has not been altered in any way, I picked up this dial for 100.00 EUR and that was a find for me as it took months to locate what I wanted. http://67.43.1.1/showthread.php?p=1690978 b-)

I wrote this in another article, and from what another member wrote about fakes being spider web it is strictly a lie. I have talked to several sources about the spider web dials and someone faking a spider web affect on a dial is totally false.

I have studied several places and the spider web dial has stayed under the radar for a long time. It would be difficult to re-create the effect we see in the dials that are authentic.

This a great article on the dial:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=74501

The poster talkes about two types of collectors, one who thinks the dial is junk and the other thinks of it as a grail watch.

I think of it as a grail watch. I would be so bold to say it is like the mis-print money the government issues sometimes.

It goes into the several different Rolex watches with spider web dials.
The main thing is it is a collectors dial and not considered junk.

As you can see by the photos several spider web dials have different effects.

Attachments

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
David, what is your opinion on the dial becoming less stable it the future and further cracking or a "piece falling off"??

I kinda like the look, but have often wondered if the dial is less stable.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I had a GMT (16750) once with the spider dial (also called crazing or marbeling) and my Rolex tech suggested I have it repalced when I had it serviced. He said it was a defect in the dial. I followed through with his suggestion but always regretted it as it did give it a unique look and obviously, like a fingerprint, no two dials are alike. Again, some may see it as a design flaw and others as a very unique collectible aspect of a watch. BTW, I've only seen this on the Rolex line of watches. Does anyone know if it occurs with any other watch lines?

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a GMT (16750) once with the spider dial (also called crazing or marbeling) and my Rolex tech suggested I have it repalced when I had it serviced. He said it was a defect in the dial. I followed through with his suggestion but always regretted it as it did give it a unique look and obviously, like a fingerprint, no two dials are alike. Again, some may see it as a design flaw and others as a very unique collectible aspect of a watch. BTW, I've only seen this on the Rolex line of watches. Does anyone know if it occurs with any other watch lines?
I have only seen threads on this and no other watches.

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David, what is your opinion on the dial becoming less stable it the future and further cracking or a "piece falling off"??

I kinda like the look, but have often wondered if the dial is less stable.
When I talked to Steve about this he said it was just spider web and he did not believe the dial was unstable.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have only seen threads on this and no other watches.
I have a Cartier Santos Ronde with this effect...took it to my watch repair shop locally, very reputable "expert", been at the same location 30+ years here in San Jose, and he said it's similar to the "spiderweb" Rolex effect...so I looked it up and here we are. Seems Cartier had some issues as well in the 80's...rarely he sees this, and I "shouldn't fix it, keep it that way" he told me. Seems strange...you can barely see it unless it catches the light just right or using magnification.

Anyone disagree or agree with the expert?
:-s

·
Banned
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Cartier Santos Ronde with this effect...took it to my watch repair shop locally, very reputable "expert", been at the same location 30+ years here in San Jose, and he said it's similar to the "spiderweb" Rolex effect...so I looked it up and here we are. Seems Cartier had some issues as well in the 80's...rarely he sees this, and I "shouldn't fix it, keep it that way" he told me. Seems strange...you can barely see it unless it catches the light just right or using magnification.

Anyone disagree or agree with the expert?
:-s
It is more valuable with the spider web affect than to have it changed. The spider web affect brings the value up with collectors of this flaw. Steve M is a watch expert and he is the one I went to when I found this dial for my Rolex Submariner. :-!

·
Registered
11 Posts
As it was explained to me (in the case of the Subs/GMTs) they used a new lacquer formula for the dials, which splintered when fully cured over time. The W series watch I have looks perfectly normal unless viewed at very flat angles in very bright light. Can't see the webs unless you look very closely.

what causes it?

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Blue Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery from1969

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have just recently purchased a vintage Certina with this "defect." I love it, and will post pictures in just a bit.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some pictures!
Here they are. Sorry for the delay!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts