WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A summation of my two threads... Flip the collection for a Sub, Sub or Oyster Perpetual. And having read the 14060 vs 114060. What are the recommendations? Most say new 114060. I'm more open to any sub if I can afford it. Along with the fact I did have an Explorer 2016 recommendation. I like the new Explorer 1 very well. If I had my ideal collection now it would be SubC, date or no date, explorer 1, and a datejust. Yet I feel like I'm too heavy sided toward Rolex.

Anyway, I tend to gear toward philosophy to help my purchase. I get the main wis philosophy is as a first purchase, always steer toward Rolex, and get a Sub or Explorer. I understand why. My AD says, if you don't have a Sub, you don't have a collection, just a bunch of random watches. To me that now makes sense, sense he is trying to sell me a Sub, but in my personality, I want the life that would require a Sub, hiking the 8,000 meters, diving to the Andrea Doria, using the Sub while doing Indiana Jones stuff that I played as a 80s kid. Yet in reality I do need a watch that can handle my work environment that can at times get demanding, or playing with kids out doors, or taking on my favorite hikes. A lifetime watch to handle what I throw at it and be of "watch" provenance value to me. A canvass to write my life's, and families adventures on. I know any metal watch can do this, but I'm a watch nerd. Yet now I'm getting into which one territory. What's I like about the SubC is that it's maxi case makes it look like a Gerald Genta 70s era design. Cool. Also I get into the investment of the funds issue, if I can afford a Nomos Club datum auto, then I could afford a Oyster Perpetual with a bit more cash, if I can to a OP, I can swing an Explorer or used Sub, if I can swing those, go for the big dog SubC with a bit more saving and time. I guess it's, what to do now, and what to delay. Get the SubC now, build a collection later. Now means when I can afford it. Which could mean never. If I sold all my watches, Tudor Black Bay, Nomos Orion, an SKX007 and 009, and a Seiko Sarb 033, and only wear a G Shock, then I could still do what is suggested all the time.... Who cares what watch you wear, get the Rolex, which I would just replace with a quartz g shock. Because if I had that much money and something happened that o needed a liquid asset, then the Rolex or Cash would work. Sell the Rolex to liquidate for the cost of pay pal fees, or AD negotiation, or. I'd have the cash on hand. I get the life is short argument too. Get the SubC, life is short. Well life is short, keep the cash. So If Rolex is Liquid, and so is Cash, Rolex can be used as cash. I don't want an investment, if I want to buy something (anything) the wise investment is the one I can lequidate in an emergency. Since it's not necessary for telling the time anymore, the watch I want and would use would need to be able to be flipped for currency or used as currency for the same value. Which I hear, a Rolex can get you out of sticky situations. Or get you into sticky situations too.

So, which Rolex has the best value for money spent? If Rolex can be a liquid asset, compared to all other watch brands, which model? Vintage Subs at today's market value price, new SubC and get a 10 service interval and the pros of a great bracelet and design, or an Explorer 1 under the radar Historically cool land lover non diver watch? Or is an OP, affordable yet kind of non exciting tasteful cool.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
I'm sorry my friend, but you seem to be all over the place. I can be of very little help because I feel that a 5-digit SD (16600) is the ultimate "one" Rolex. If it weren't for diving and water sports, I would say that a 1665 SD would be my favorite daily/only Rolex.

The one thing I can tell you after buying/selling/trading/owning MANY auto watches is that you should decide what you want and don't settle due to "cost" or "value". Personally, based on what I hear you saying.....I think you should choose and save for a 116610 or 114060.

Just my 2c

(just another thought....have you considered a 116600?)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response. I know it seems like I'm all over the place. One guy said I was being neurotic. But I have my reasons, and I've picked up similar thought processes of others on this forum. Example. I had posted in the Seiko forum in regards to a mm300 as the modern version of old school Rolex tool watch era Submariner. 1960s and 1970s era. And since the Swiss luxury watch market has slowed down and Swatch constricting movements and parts, why not go with the mm300 as a daily wear tool watch for its own merits, not as a Sub alternative. Most everyone responded that I really only wanted a Sub, that the mm300 was nice but to get a Sub. A few understood my mind game as a purchasing philosophy question and suggested that I steer clear of both and save for a high end German gentleman's watch like an ALS Saxonia. But again in the German forums, they suggested going with a Submariner first before saving for high end. Then when asking about if I could pull off a Rolex anyway, everyone comments "who cares what others think." Which is counter intuitive because I want to read what others on this forum think to help my purchase decision, to where I don't regret it. Kind of like the intolerance of tolerance. So... Since I want a Rolex, and I know I can wear it without causing negative talk in my community about my business (I'm a funeral director in a small town) since no one cares about watches anyway, and that its a liquid asset like cash in a certain sense, and that it can be an investment that has returns of enjoyment of the activities I can wear it while doing, if I were to purchase a watch, it would first need to be a Rolex Sub, followed by any Rolex such as a popular sports model Explorer, followed by nothing. If I don't have the funds for a Rolex, don't buy a watch. The consensus seems to be that any other watch below the Rolex isn't worth the money because it's a waste that keeps me or a Rolex fan from purchasing a Rolex quicker. And I should the sell the watches I have that I can sell, to help in getting a Rolex. In the mean time wear a g shock. No one cares if I wear a dress watch or a Sub, or a g shock anyway. I guess I was hoping for some validation on my watch buying collecting philosophy based on these criteria. If one can afford to buy a Rolex, first buy the one you want, second if that is too costly, buy the Rolex one can afford, third if one can't afford the basic entry steel sports Rolex ( even second hand) don't buy any watch, use a g shock or cell phone and or fit bit to tell time away from a clock.

Thank you for the Sea Dweller recommendation. That would require a lot longer to save for.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
It's just that I have so many times bought a watch as a 'stop-gap' because it was marginally cheaper than what I really wanted. In the end, I just bought the watch that I wanted in the first place, and it ended up costing me more because I lost money on the first purchase when I sold it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
@jalfreem
If, in the end, all you're asking is, "Which Rolex has the best value for money spent?" and we're limiting the options to the Reference numbers specified in your header, then I will say a matte dial 16800 is the answer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for your response. I know it seems like I'm all over the place. One guy said I was being neurotic. But I have my reasons, and I've picked up similar thought processes of others on this forum. Example. I had posted in the Seiko forum in regards to a mm300 as the modern version of old school Rolex tool watch era Submariner. 1960s and 1970s era. And since the Swiss luxury watch market has slowed down and Swatch constricting movements and parts, why not go with the mm300 as a daily wear tool watch for its own merits, not as a Sub alternative. Most everyone responded that I really only wanted a Sub, that the mm300 was nice but to get a Sub. A few understood my mind game as a purchasing philosophy question and suggested that I steer clear of both and save for a high end German gentleman's watch like an ALS Saxonia. But again in the German forums, they suggested going with a Submariner first before saving for high end. Then when asking about if I could pull off a Rolex anyway, everyone comments "who cares what others think." Which is counter intuitive because I want to read what others on this forum think to help my purchase decision, to where I don't regret it. Kind of like the intolerance of tolerance. So... Since I want a Rolex, and I know I can wear it without causing negative talk in my community about my business (I'm a funeral director in a small town) since no one cares about watches anyway, and that its a liquid asset like cash in a certain sense, and that it can be an investment that has returns of enjoyment of the activities I can wear it while doing, if I were to purchase a watch, it would first need to be a Rolex Sub, followed by any Rolex such as a popular sports model Explorer, followed by nothing. If I don't have the funds for a Rolex, don't buy a watch. The consensus seems to be that any other watch below the Rolex isn't worth the money because it's a waste that keeps me or a Rolex fan from purchasing a Rolex quicker. And I should the sell the watches I have that I can sell, to help in getting a Rolex. In the mean time wear a g shock. No one cares if I wear a dress watch or a Sub, or a g shock anyway. I guess I was hoping for some validation on my watch buying collecting philosophy based on these criteria. If one can afford to buy a Rolex, first buy the one you want, second if that is too costly, buy the Rolex one can afford, third if one can't afford the basic entry steel sports Rolex ( even second hand) don't buy any watch, use a g shock or cell phone and or fit bit to tell time away from a clock.

Thank you for the Sea Dweller recommendation. That would require a lot longer to save for.
I think I understand where you're coming from because I was in similar shoes about 3 years ago. Here's what I wanted in a watch and I think you're wanting the same:

I wanted a watch that could literally do it all. I wanted something that could be dressed up in a suit or dressed down in a t-shirt and jeans. Something that was durable and dependable, not something that was dainty and fragile. I've always longed for ONE nice watch, just ONE as I couldn't financially justify owning multiple watches that just sit in a case waiting to get wrist time. I thought maybe sometime down the road, a second watch could be added but I wasn't counting on it and wanted to buy the best single watch for all situations. It took me quite a bit of extensive research, time, and thought into figuring out what exactly I wanted. I wanted to stick to the 4-digit price range so $9K max. Anything over that was getting out of my budget range. I figured it almost had to be stainless steel because of the durability aspect, I wasn't enthralled with polished links because of how it shows scratches, and I wanted versatility so bright colors were out of the question.

After writing all of this down on a piece of paper, I realized EXACTLY what I was looking for.....a Rolex Submariner (no-date) 114060. It was versatile, durable, dependable, could be dressed up, dressed down, comfortable, and attractive. I liked the symmetry of the no-date dial and never really cared for the bubble so this was just the perfect watch for me. A couple photos I saw in my research really helped me realize how versatile it really was:

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's easy to rationalize the " step up" thought process . I will say that you have a nice well rounded ' collection" Now !
Tudor BB - is about as close to a 114060 as it gets great all around solid tough watch that can be dressed up or down . [sport & up]
The Nomos ORION is beautiful / classic in house dress or casual [ dress ]
the seiko 007 classic Seiko - everyday "beater " [beater] 009 & 033 are nice xtra's

I have or have had all in your collection . I just sold off a few watches to consolidate and purchase a nice ' do most everything ' watch
sold Tudor Glamour , Sinn U1 [ that hurt ] , Seiko Blumo [ hurt more ] and some lesser things
Kept my Tudor BB Blue ... Used the $ to buy ...Rolex OP 39mm

I was deciding between Sub no date , Date Just & the OP Having the Black Bay had me pause and go in the OP direction - super watch !!
I'm in Office most times but do get active with work moving things around loading trucks etc.. No problem watch fits so well don't even know it's on .
money wise you can find anything pre owned at better price just buy from a known seller. The Sub ND 114060 Is a great choice as well Big as the BB , more features like glide lock etc.

Do not look at any of these as liquid cash they are not , you will not be able to recoup $ selling in the near future , unless you buy pre owned at a good price .
Even then be ready for some hit . Best thing to do is go into next purchase with Long term ownership in mind

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's easy to rationalize the " step up" thought process . I will say that you have a nice well rounded ' collection" Now !
Tudor BB - is about as close to a 114060 as it gets great all around solid tough watch that can be dressed up or down . [sport & up]
The Nomos ORION is beautiful / classic in house dress or casual [ dress ]
the seiko 007 classic Seiko - everyday "beater " [beater] 009 & 033 are nice xtra's

I have or have had all in your collection . I just sold off a few watches to consolidate and purchase a nice ' do most everything ' watch
sold Tudor Glamour , Sinn U1 [ that hurt ] , Seiko Blumo [ hurt more ] and some lesser things
Kept my Tudor BB Blue ... Used the $ to buy ...Rolex OP 39mm

I was deciding between Sub no date , Date Just & the OP Having the Black Bay had me pause and go in the OP direction - super watch !!
I'm in Office most times but do get active with work moving things around loading trucks etc.. No problem watch fits so well don't even know it's on .
money wise you can find anything pre owned at better price just buy from a known seller. The Sub ND 114060 Is a great choice as well Big as the BB , more features like glide lock etc.

Do not look at any of these as liquid cash they are not , you will not be able to recoup $ selling in the near future , unless you buy pre owned at a good price .
Even then be ready for some hit . Best thing to do is go into next purchase with Long term ownership in mind
Thank you.

I've decided to sit, save and wait. The Bay is so close to being a Rolex sub that it's the newly manufactured vintage Sub. If you don't want a hallow link 14060 with Tritium, buy a Black bay, that's got modern tech, trip lock, and lume that works.

I happened to have a good offer on that 16800. It was hard to turn down, but I saw clearly that I would regret that too. I don't get any more points for wearing a Rolex than I don't for wearing a Tudor. No one cares at all. It's just shiny things to spend our money on. Jaques Coustau wore a Sub, but I'm not him, and a 114060 isn't the watch he wore.

Maybe, by slimming down to only the Tudor and the Orion, sell off the others. I can appreciate them more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What's I like about the SubC is that it's maxi case makes it look like a Gerald Genta 70s era design. Cool.
Never thought of the SubC this way. Now I can't unsee it. Damn.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Get a sub c and pair it with a g shock and that pretty much covers anything. That's what I did 1.5 years ago. The g shock for rough stuff and the sub for everything else. I don't wear suit to work so I don't need a proper dress watch and a sub works with smart casual too. I'm saving for a rolex datejust as dressier piece but the sub works at the mean time

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Get a sub c and pair it with a g shock and that pretty much covers anything. That's what I did 1.5 years ago. The g shock for rough stuff and the sub for everything else. I don't wear suit to work so I don't need a proper dress watch and a sub works with smart casual too. I'm saving for a rolex datejust as dressier piece but the sub works at the mean time
This is my plan, for now. Save up for a SubC out right. Keep or sell the Tudor if I need to when I get closer. I'm patient, yet when the Rolex fever gets in your blood, it's hard to think rationally. If I flip now, if be out 2 watches that I still like, only to get into 1 I really like. But if I just save up for a while, I would have 3, and would be in a better position to determine what I want to keep or sell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts