WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I know the comparison between the Rolex Submariner & the Explorer 39mm has been talked about a hundred times. My question is much more simple. I wanted to buy a watch for my 40th birthday 2 months ago. But, I've been ridiculously indecisive!! Ive just put too much pressure on myself for wanting this next watch to be my last one. I only want one watch (except for my ironman for running) and both Rolex watches would suit my needs just fine. I was just hoping to get a little feedback from everyone here as to which one fit better on my wrist. They're both beautiful and they both 'speak to me'. But, is the Sub a little big or the Explorer a little small? I've been wearing the same Movado 36mm sports watch for 10 years now. So, maybe I'm just used to a small watch.
Also, does it bother anyone else when the lugs don't rap perfectly around the wrist so that there's no gap between the watch and the wrist?

I know my questions are purely personal preference. But, I think your feedback would be very helpful.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
If just having 1 watch, then its the sub for me. 40mm looks to be your limit though, wouldn't go larger.

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
I'm biased as well, Explorer I

Also, I think the Explorer fits your wrist better.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I prefer the no date Sub. But I think the Expolorer looks better on your wrist. But you can pull both off.

Just go with your gut though, especially if this is going to be one of your last big purchases.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The Explorer fits you perfectly. It is a great 'all occasions' watch, possibly better than the Sub. Also, possibly more rare than a Sub as far as seeing Rolex 'in the wild'.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is probably going to be a tough one because both watches have their strong cult following!
It would seem like 40mm would be my limit based on my pictures. But, I think it's just the design of the lugs because I've tried on other 40mm and even 42 mm watches and they fit perfect!
Anyone else see this picture? Not sure who originally posted it. But, it definitely clarified why the sub looks so big. Problem is, I love the design! Lol

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The Explorer looks a bit dressier on your wrist, and the Sub looks more sporty.

If you're looking for that one watch that will survive with you into your 70's and beyond, I would say the Explorer.

But I would personally go with the Sub...

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
The only reason the Explorer looks better in that pic is because it fits snugly around your wrist whereas the sub does not. But that Sub should look great and will fit like a glove once a few links are removed. I'd go with the Sub. It's more versatile and can be dressed up or down for any occasion whereas the Explorer is a bit dressier.

Wear it in good health and enjoy it whatever your final choice may be.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
As others have stated, the explorer looks like it fits better on your wrist, but I like the sub more.
Have you considered the Submariner 14060? I would guess it would fit your wrist just as well as the explorer

1 - 20 of 89 Posts