WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you recommend that a daily-wear rolex sub have a date or no-date?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone --

I have decided that the next purchase I would like to make is a Rolex Submariner. This will be my first Rolex and may daily-wearer. I haven't decided if I want to purchase a vintage or modern sub yet as I see many pros and cons to both.

However, the first question I want to answer before narrowing my search down and selecting a reference is should I purchase one with a date or no-date. Personally I love the symmetry that a no date sub offers, however I don't know if I'll miss the date function during daily use.

I only have one watch with a date window (a Doxa 750t GMT) and the other pieces I own are vintage watches with no dates. At the moment I wear the Doxa in the summer and rotate the vintage pieces throughout the rest of the year.

I plan on using the sub for everything hiking, working, vacation etc.

Has anyone purchased a sub no date and wish they would have bought one with a date function or vis-versa? What are your thoughts?! I am really torn on this decision.

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Keep it simple. You already own date and no date watches. If you don't miss the date when you're not wearing one then go with the no date Rolex.

I'm fortunate to own both and for me it's generally a coin flip.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Despite not owning a timepiece that displays the date, I would not mind if the chance to get another timepiece, I go with one with the date. I guess I like to see another element that is part of the watch so the date feature would do that for me.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Since it will be a daily worn watch, the date feature is handy. I bought the no-date version because I have lots of other watches that have a day/date feature, and knew my Sub wasn't going to be worn daily.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
The no date looks clean and symmetrical.

That being said, I would only have a sub with the date function. I actually really like having a date complication and love the Rolex cyclops!

I have a GMT Master II (LN) and it’s my “daily driver” watch. The polished links and black on steel is so versatile! If the sub is going to be your daily, I’d go with the date!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14,913 Posts
Prefer no date but if date, then no magnifier, it's why I like the Sub ND and SeaDweller 4K . . .

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
When you need to know the date where's the first place you check (instinctively) ?

If it's your watch then go with the date version

If you've become accustomed to checking the date elsewhere when needed or knowing the date isn't that important to you then enjoy the symmetry of the dateless version

If it were my money I'd get the date (with cyclops.) Every daily driver needs a date IMO.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The symmetry of that beautiful no date dial is well worth the slight inconvenience of having to reach for your phone once in a while to check the date.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Date for me, but I can see the appeal of the cleaner dial of the no date. I’ve been wearing variations of the Sub Date for 15+ years, and it feels like something is missing without the cyclops. The date also comes in handy for a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I like the no date version a bit better... Better dial symmetry, no need to mess with date setting every month, or so, and more iconic historically, too...

Having said that if I’ll ever get another Rolex into my collection, not likely right now, it’ll be one with a date... Just for variety...

I really only “need” the date function when I’m traveling to Asia and my time/date zones really get messed up for the first few days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
957 Posts
Have any of you Rolex owners removed the cyclops before? I know people do it on cheaper watches. But was curious if anyone has done it on a Rolex? If I got one, I would definitely want a date, but only if I could remove the cyclops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
I personally would get the date. That cyclops magnifier is iconic. Also, better resale. That is if you should ever decide to sell it.
Yup, 100%. I love the iconic cyclops but it's so divisive in the watch community. Never would've thought.

I also can't keep track of the date to save my life. So it's nice.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts