WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Members,
I'd like to ask for your help. I have inherited a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner Date which was purchased in 2010 (series V). It is in excellent condition, works perfectly and has all the paperwork. Could you please help me how much does it worth nowadays? I'm not an expert at all.
Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
You need to especify the model because there are various versions, steel, black, green, 2 tone, gold....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
£500 but I will give you £700 for it purely as good will. 😜

On a serious note though, it depends, but multiply the above figures by 10 and that should be your range. Oh and don't sell it to Watchfinder if you are based in the UK.

Reactions: jas1978

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Best thing to do is hunt the classifieds here and on other forums as well as eBay to see what they actually sold for, not what someone is asking. You can find those sold in the last 12 months and compare like condition and included accessories.
You can post pics here and we can evaluate its authenticity first.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I believe these retail new for $8500 and when i purchased my expii the AD had the sub in stock so i assume its not an incredibly long waitlist. So figure 7000-8000USD if in good condition unless someone is in dire need of a fairly recent Steel Sub and then perhaps tack on an additional 500-1000?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
If you are thinking of selling it, you may consider selling or consigning to a trusted reseller. They will of course give you less money because they need to make some margin for themselves, but you won't have to worry about getting scammed by a buyer.

Not an endorsement of them, but Bob's Watches will post both their buy and sell prices on their website for various models. You could start with that number and shop it around.

·
Registered
72 Posts
£500 but I will give you £700 for it purely as good will.

On a serious note though, it depends, but multiply the above figures by 10 and that should be your range. Oh and don't sell it to Watchfinder if you are based in the UK.

I’m all ears in your reason for this...seeing as I’m intending to take a solid gold Sub to them with a view to selling it? UK based so will certainly take recommendations on board. The value of them has risen sharply-have mine tracked on Chrono 24 and it’s showing a 110% increase in value over the original sale price...
So-what’s wrong with Watchfinder? They’ve come recommended by numerous sources.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m all ears in your reason for this...seeing as I’m intending to take a solid gold Sub to them with a view to selling it? UK based so will certainly take recommendations on board. The value of them has risen sharply-have mine tracked on Chrono 24 and it’s showing a 110% increase in value over the original sale price...

They’re pretty notorious for lowball offers (and setting ridiculous prices on the way out). Can’t blame them for wanting more margin, but you have other options.

You might want to shop around, as other dealers will probably give you more for your watch. Not to mention you’ll probably have money in your account a lot faster.

·
Registered
72 Posts
They’re pretty notorious for lowball offers (and setting ridiculous prices on the way out). Can’t blame them for wanting more margin, but you have other options.

You might want to shop around, as other dealers will probably give you more for your watch. Not to mention you’ll probably have money in your account a lot faster.
I guess it’s like selling a car really-you get those who want to frankly take the p%#* and offer you insulting prices (had PLENTY of that for every car I’ve sold privately). Depends on the watch (same as the car) I guess and some hold their value better than others. The gold sub is incredibly strong in the retail price now.

Edited to add-any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

Recommended by what sources? I would be interested to see where you heard this. I had dealings with them recently and it wasnt pleasant. I got talked to like I was an idiot and didnt know what I was buying. I was looking at a Rolex with no box and papers but wasnt desperate so tested the waters with them. I was told "box and papers aren't everything". I asked for the service history and was told they are reliable anyway. When I pushed them they said it had been checked over by their watchmaker. Again, I asked what that meant. I didnt get a straight answer so I assume they check it over by opening the box, seeing it the watch is in the box and the hands go round. It was like dealing with a dodgy car dealer. I had all the usual "you wont get one like this anywhere for this price". To add to it I asked them for a price for my Tudor which has the full set and in mint condition and the price they offered seemed to be for the bracelet only. I know theyre there to make money but I really felt they were trying to get one over on me every step of the way. I dread to think how much they paid for their no box and papers watches. To be fair, I havent had great experiences with any online dealers in the UK. My advice would be to go to a decent local store, ideally an AD and they should give you an honest opinion. Dont be fooled into sending your watch off on the basis of a pre agreed price either, Ive been caught by that one too. Even if your watch has never been worn and had box, papers and hang tags, the minute they have it they will spot a blemish on the box and knock £1000 off "the box is more important than the watch with this model" or some other nonsense. Best of luck with it

·
Registered
72 Posts
Recommended by what sources? I would be interested to see where you heard this. I had dealings with them recently and it wasnt pleasant. I got talked to like I was an idiot and didnt know what I was buying. I was looking at a Rolex with no box and papers but wasnt desperate so tested the waters with them. I was told "box and papers aren't everything". I asked for the service history and was told they are reliable anyway. When I pushed them they said it had been checked over by their watchmaker. Again, I asked what that meant. I didnt get a straight answer so I assume they check it over by opening the box, seeing it the watch is in the box and the hands go round. It was like dealing with a dodgy car dealer. I had all the usual "you wont get one like this anywhere for this price". To add to it I asked them for a price for my Tudor which has the full set and in mint condition and the price they offered seemed to be for the bracelet only. I know theyre there to make money but I really felt they were trying to get one over on me every step of the way. I dread to think how much they paid for their no box and papers watches. To be fair, I havent had great experiences with any online dealers in the UK. My advice would be to go to a decent local store, ideally an AD and they should give you an honest opinion. Dont be fooled into sending your watch off on the basis of a pre agreed price either, Ive been caught by that one too. Even if your watch has never been worn and had box, papers and hang tags, the minute they have it they will spot a blemish on the box and knock £1000 off "the box is more important than the watch with this model" or some other nonsense. Best of luck with it
That’s completely ridiculous....’the box is more important than the watch’ WTF?!
Had Watchfinder recommended by two watch collectors but to be honest my experience of selling watches isn’t huge-I sold an almost new Breitling for my father a number of years ago in the U.K. he spent around £5.5k and never wore it. It was unmarked and so was the box etc. In the end it went for £2.2k. Had one retailer offer £1k (I walked out).
Depressing that selling watches is like selling cars but there you go. Everyone wants something for nothing it seems.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
That’s completely ridiculous....’the box is more important than the watch’ WTF?!
Had Watchfinder recommended by two watch collectors but to be honest my experience of selling watches isn’t huge-I sold an almost new Breitling for my father a number of years ago in the U.K. he spent around £5.5k and never wore it. It was unmarked and so was the box etc. In the end it went for £2.2k. Had one retailer offer £1k (I walked out).
Depressing that selling watches is like selling cars but there you go. Everyone wants something for nothing it seems.

Just to clarify, I was being sarcastic with the "box is more important than the watch" but they will use anything to chisel you. Then theyll try and sell you a watch with no spare links and tell you its not a problem. Another thing that has jogged my memory about watchfinder was that I asked them if the watch had all the links and they said "we will make sure it fits you". Again, not answering the question. They obviously keep the spare links. My remark regarding the box was close to an experience I had with another online store. I agreed a price, sent them photos of the watch, box, cards etc and they gave me a price range on the basis of a final examination ie worst case scenario where they find deep scratches and best case where the watch is in mint condition. I wasnt expecting the best price but the watch was close to mint. Before sending it off, I asked if there was any chance the payment would be BELOW the minimum price. They said "that wont happen unless the watch isnt working". Once they received it they said the box was scruffy and reduced the price to £200 below the minimum price as they had to buy a new box from omega. Ever seen a pre owned watch with "brand new omega box but not serviced". Me neither. They would sell it as seen. As to the price for the breitling, I think 50% of the cost isnt a terrible deal (excluding the fact youve lost on it) but you can get better if youre trading in against another watch. Would the retailer that offered you £1000 have been Goldsmiths? Theyre another shower. I would love to go in with a new Rolex Pepsi and see what they offer me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts