WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
The Submariner will always be the ubiquitous diver of all dive watches and that's including the Fifty Fathoms in terms of prestige as well as recognition.

End of story

And I would buy the Rolex.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Simply put, the Rolex Sub is the better brand and more iconic while the Omega Seamaster is the better watch (at least, until the new version comes out).

The Sub, doesn't matter the generation, has staying power. The Seamaster, however, does not. When the new one comes out, you'll want to upgrade because it doesn't have that iconic timeless design going for it.

If you want the better watch, choose the Omega. If you want timelessness, choose the Rolex.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
More prestigious is Sub. Nicer watch is Sub. However, if one has trouble acquiring the Sub or (in the case of me) wants to try something else, the SMP is the ONE.

I had a ND SubC for two years and sold it at Christmas (because it was a little too similar to my 2019 BLNR).

I wanted a replacement that would be a better “knock around” watch for boating, pool, and beach when I didn’t want to wear/worry about my GMT. so, 6 days ago I picked up the white SMP ... and it is very nice!

If I could only have one watch between Sub or SMP ... I’d take the Sub. But in my situation (2019 BLNR, 2019 DJ41, 2019 Daytona black, 2019 TH Monaco), the SMP is better.

Here’s videos of my SMP and Sub...

https://youtu.be/nWfddteRR7I

https://youtu.be/R2ZwBG_2zIo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
618 Posts
For prestige, as already mentioned, the Sub's the choice. The Seamaster, iconic in it's own right, having been introduced only a few years following the Submariner, is also an excellent choice. I would recommend both, lending decision-making to a number of other, individual to the buyer, factors.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hard to compare the two considering there’s a two to one price ratio between them. Obviously in terms of prestige the Sub wins out because it’s a Rolex, but in terms of value for money, the SMP is the clear winner.
I personally am not a fan of the 6 digit Sub’s aesthetics, while I really like the looks of the SMP. If it were only a bit smaller...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Not withstanding design or prestige matters, some features can be pointed out:

Submariner:
Better bracelet
Better service intervals (10 years vs 5 years)

Seamaster:
costs less than half of the Submariner as it is readily available for 25% off MSRP new (circa 3600€)
Exhibition case back

That said, I have considered the purchase of the black Seamaster, but having the other contender makes it difficult to justify the purchase.

·
Registered
8,107 Posts
Submariner is still the better watch. I don’t mind the SMP but anyone who’d take it over the Sub assuming they don’t have other alternatives like Doug states in their collection has rocks in their head.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Rolex!!!

Because I kept it and Omega was gone after 8 months... Mostly because of comfort, fit and size... Best bracelet in business, by far. As simple as that, at least for me!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is this a social experiment? I noticed op posted the exact same thread in omega forum. Of course over there it's the "Seamaster vs the Sub", here it's the "Sub vs the Seamaster"...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Is this a social experiment? I noticed op posted the exact same thread in omega forum. Of course over there it's the "Seamaster vs the Sub", here it's the "Sub vs the Seamaster"...
The OP is a little over half-way to 100 posts.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The Submariner is an iconic piece. And its a Rolex. It holds value well and it’s a watch that is copied endlessly. It does have all the technological advances and such.

The Seamaster is a diversity from the iconic piece, I should give Omega an applaud due to them making a diver their own style.

Dollar by dollar, the Seamaster is better value for money, but thats not why we are buying watches.

One thing that I can for sure, say Omega is better - is AR coating.

The watches on the new Seamasters looks so clear it makes Rolex’s crystal “looks foggy”.

Also, Omega’s new movements are already antimagnetic, whereas Rolex’s is not (up to a certain point).

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
One thing that I can for sure, say Omega is better - is AR coating.

The watches on the new Seamasters looks so clear it makes Rolex’s crystal “looks foggy”.
What??? Foggy??? People just need to take better pics;) LOL

·
Registered
719 Posts
What??? Foggy??? People just need to take better pics;) LOL

I did put " marks. It makes it look foggy, not that it actually is, please re read.

Also, I have compared both at once and the Omega's crystal is much clearer to me.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
Unpopular opinon here but I prefer the SMP Blue 300 the late 90s - early 2000s version. But compared to the most recent iterations, I would prefer a 2020 sub to a 2020 seamaster

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I did put " marks. It makes it look foggy, not that it actually is, please re read.

Also, I have compared both at once and the Omega's crystal is much clearer to me.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
I was just pulling your leg Here you go with a nice pic of my long gone Omega SMPc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wish Rolex would drop the supercase. Also would wish omega would bring the seamaster 300m down to 39-40mm.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts