WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am finally buying myself a new watch. Which one would you choose?
Even though this is the omega forum, I would say go for the green sub. Wait for a few months and you can pick up an used example of that LE at a substantial discount, speedy pro LE's usually take big hits in the pre owned market ( just in case you decide to sell it). The older missions series hold their value very well. They were made in very small numbers.

Omega makes too many limited editions and that too each LE is in the thousands ( well most of them, there are a few speedmaster professional LE's that were made in the 250's to 500 range) .

·
Registered
823 Posts
Another thing to note is that, for the price of a hulk, you can get two speedy pro LE's ( pre owned) and still be left over with some cash.

If you decide to go for a speedy pro LE, get one which does not have a black dial. There are some white dial ( apollo 11 35th, alaska project) speedies and a blue dial one , gemini 4.

All the above three models go for 3400 to 3800 in the used market. A hulk will cost close to 8k or a bit more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have had a lot of pre-owned watches in the past but decided it would be nice to get a new one. I plan on giving it to my son when he turns 18. He is 7 now. New speedy is $6,200 and the new sub is $8,500.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well, I have had a lot of pre-owned watches in the past but decided it would be nice to get a new one. I plan on giving it to my son when he turns 18. He is 7 now. New speedy is $6,200 and the new sub is $8,500.
lol, a green ceramic sub is a lot of watch to be giving to an 18-year-old! just curious, what's the rational in buying a green sub new? the pre-owned prices in the next few years would seem to be more attractive.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Not a big fan of buying and sitting on it....

But of the two I say neither and instead a new planet ocean, either that or get a standard speedy and pocket the change. Good luck

The green dial sub imho is ugly, preferred it with just the green bezel

Reactions: Chibatastic

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The green dial sub falls into the "what were they smoking" category. Sorry it's hideous you won't get a "go for it" from me. How about a regular sub. Fwiw the speedy le doesn't do it for me either but at least I could stomach it. How about a nice dress watch? If you are looking to spend that kind of jack put it towards a Patek. Junior can buy his own sub. He'll appreciate the Patek much more as he gets older.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Don't buy LEs because they are "Limited Editions". In these price brackets, there are not many that I would consider as true collectible limited editions. The truly collectible ones are VC, PP, A.L. and the likes. As you intend to pass it on to your children and if you can stretch that far, I'd say get those instead. Otherwise, buy the watch that YOU like. That's how I approach it when I have an itch. But, always try them on first if possible.

In the meantime, please allow me to persuade you to reconsider ;-) :

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Lol, he's not paying for it.
Oh for sure...but to be honest, if my dad handed me a green dialed Sub right now (or ever) I'd keep it since it was a gift, but the odds of my ever wearing it would be slim to none. I know it's only a matter of opinion and personal taste, but I really do think the "HULK" as they call it, is one of the fugliest things ever to Roll off the Rolex assembly line.

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
I agree. My Dad died in June this year and always wore the watch given to him on his retirement. It is not necessarily something I would have chosen for myself to wear, but my Mum says she will be giving it to me when she is ready and it will be treasured regardless as a gift from Dad. Of the two options proposed by the OP I would go with Speedy as I really do not like the Rollie, but thankfully it's not my choice.

Nigel

1 - 20 of 47 Posts