• Rolex Submariner "Hulk"

Votes: 57 55.3%
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

So I'm pretty torn between these two. I'll start by saying that I already own the Hulk...and I love it. However, someone just offered to trade me their like new Blancpain FF in Black. Now all of a sudden I'm feeling unfaithful. I have a few other Rolexes in my collection (39mm Explorer and OP Blue 39) but I've never had any experience with Blancpain, aside from handling a few at an AD. Can anybody comment on reliability, ease of service or resale value? At any rate, I'd love to get some feedback from members. If YOU had to choose between keeping the Hulk or jumping ship and going with the BP FF Bathyscaphe, which would you choose? Thanks and looking forward to your responses!
Blancpain-bathyscaphe-4.jpg image1-7.JPG

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think a more difficult decision would be choosing between the Submariner and the original FF. But the Bathyscape? Nah, keep the Hulk.

Reactions: slcbbrown

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Rolex no question. I don't think the resale value will be near as good either with the BP. There are not many Blancpain watches that I like though, so if it's a brand you love then... I do want to add a second hand Leman Flyback or Air Command Chrono to my collection but a Fifty Fathoms? I just don't see it, not even the nicer standard FF:
Blancpain-Fifty-Fathoms-221.jpg

Blancpain is a strange brand for me. The alternatives from JLC, GO, Piaget, Breguet or a bit further VC or AP are much more appealing and as brands I think they are more respectable as well.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Man, I'm a huge Sub fan - but I love the Blancpain. One of my favorite designs. It's subliminal. I can't describe why. But I'd go that route. Love the simplicity, I think.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I'd personally go for the Blancpain, but that's probably because I wouldn't have bought a Hulk in the first place. Since you did buy a Hulk in the first place, I've got to assume you like it a fair bit. If you think you're just going to end up itching for a sub or GMT down the line anyway, you should keep the Hulk.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'd be trading for the Blancpain, because if nothing else it will add diversity to your collection.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Depends a little on your wrist size with the BP at 43mm and the Hulk at 40mm. For me, the Sub it too small. I also think the BP is a step above as a manufacture than Rolex IMO. Considered more to be a country club diver of sorts...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I stay with the Hulk for sure. Now if it were vs the classic Fifty Fathoms that would be a much more difficult choice. I'm super into the classic FF but not so much the Bathyscaphe.

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
Neither one overwhelms me but forced to choose, I'd keep the Rolex. Love the look of the FF's, the Bathyscaphe not so much . . .

·
Registered
370 Posts
I suppose I am nutty or just have poor taste but I think the Blancpain looks fantastic.
It doesn't help that I never seemed to feel the same things for the Hulk as most.
So, at least one vote to trade.
And another; to me the green Hulk looks just ugly. I'd be too embarrassed to wear that. And I'm a Sub owner. To me, the Blancpain looks rather good. Which all shows the pointless of such polls.It doesn't matter what any of us think. The only opinion that matters is yours.
Which do you want on your wrist?

·
Registered
288 Posts
For what it is worth, my choice came down in the end to a BLNR and the BP Bathyscaphe in steel with the gray dial. They are both great watches and I could have gone either way but the BP stole my heart.

One thing is that photographs don't do the Bathyscaphe justice at all. The beauty of the watch is the way light catches the starburst dial and the highly reflective indices and hands. In photos this gets lost and the dial looks overly large and blank, but that is quite misleading I find.

There is also an interesting interplay between the dressy elements of the dial and the more casual strap, which in my case ended up being the sail cloth strap. You can wear it as a very casual watch or as a dress diver. The Hulk in particular is much less versatile (except perhaps on St. Patrick's day).

of course it does not have the brand recognition of any Rolex and if resale is your concern that would be a strike against. The Blancpain walks the line between being eye catching and obviously up there in terms of quality but also obscure to most. It's therefore a little more understated in terms of image it projects than everyone's favorite default brand. That ended up tipping the balance for me, but to each his own.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts