WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I have a Rolex Submariner that I left for 3 months or so without using - now the self winding mechanism doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Is there a simple solution to resove this or is it back to Rolex for a repair ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

James

·
Premium Member
40,413 Posts
How sure are you it isn't working?

Have you worn it all day without it starting up at all? If so, I'd give that a try.

If it's a long time since its last service then it may be time to send it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I've worn it for several days without any joy - to be truthful the watch has never been serviced since new.

Regards

James

·
Registered
26,760 Posts
Had the same thing with mine last year (1993 model) sent it in for a local (Rolex agent) service and that resolved all issues and she is back to +3/4 spd.

If yours is of an age where the dial is nice and mellow beware of using Rolex as they send you back basically a new watch with service dial and hands, just FYI.

Reactions: jaybee66

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Clive - it's an late 80's model and I have had since new - could I ask how much Rolex charged you ?

Regards

James

·
Registered
Panerai PAM26K, Rolex OysterQuartz, Omega SpeedMaster, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin
1,191 Posts
Rolex will charge you about $900 for a basic service. IF your watch is all original, I would think long and hard about using them. They will not change the dial if it is not a problem with the watch function, they will polish the watch unless you tel them not to do so, but they will replace the hands. That part of the service is non-negotiable. So if your watch is all original that Rolex service will reduce the value of your watch. If you are not a collector and never plan to sell it, then no worries. You can probably have your watch serviced by an independent watch maker, who if your hands are bent will simply straighten / repair them, and give your watch a full service for about half of what Rolex charges.

·
Registered
26,760 Posts
Thanks Clive - it's an late 80's model and I have had since new - could I ask how much Rolex charged you ?

Regards

James
Didn’t use Rolex used a local (to me) Rolex approved service centre, Watchfinder at Maidstone.

They charged me £250 for a full service, and provided a guarantee with that.

·
Registered
26,760 Posts
Rolex will charge you about $900 for a basic service. IF your watch is all original, I would think long and hard about using them. They will not change the dial if it is not a problem with the watch function, they will polish the watch unless you tel them not to do so, but they will replace the hands. That part of the service is non-negotiable. So if your watch is all original that Rolex service will reduce the value of your watch. If you are not a collector and never plan to sell it, then no worries. You can probably have your watch serviced by an independent watch maker, who if your hands are bent will simply straighten / repair them, and give your watch a full service for about half of what Rolex charges.
Rolex UK will fit a service dial if the Lume is gone, which mine is well and truly after nearly 30 years.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Go independent. You've had it since new, surely you'd want to keep it as original as possible? I know I would. Also, it doesn't matter even if it winds at this point, it's time for service after never being serviced in 30 some odd years. And that's coming from someone in the if it ain't broken don't service it camp 😅

·
Registered
Panerai PAM26K, Rolex OysterQuartz, Omega SpeedMaster, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Ultra Thin
1,191 Posts
Rolex UK will fit a service dial if the Lume is gone, which mine is well and truly after nearly 30 years.
That is CRAZY!! At least here they claim that if you tell them not to replace the dial, they will Honor that request so long as It is not interfering with the movement of the hands. The other thing about the US service centers is that they keep all of your replaced parts!!! So they will take your tritium hands, and do what with them? I would be pissed if they were selling them, not only reducing the value of your watch, but selling your spare parts as well. Seems sketchy On the part of Rolex that different geographies have different rules.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Service if it hasn't been in over 30 years. Fingers crossed that nothing is broken and drives up repair costs. Also try manually winding it and see if that helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is CRAZY!! At least here they claim that if you tell them not to replace the dial, they will Honor that request so long as It is not interfering with the movement of the hands. The other thing about the US service centers is that they keep all of your replaced parts!!! So they will take your tritium hands, and do what with them? I would be pissed if they were selling them, not only reducing the value of your watch, but selling your spare parts as well. Seems sketchy On the part of Rolex that different geographies have different rules.
Regarding the tritium hands, I would bet that there are radioactive material handling guidelines that dictate the manufacturer must dispose of the hands using certain protocols. It's obviously okay to sell tritium when it's contained in a watch case, but my guess is that a manufacturer cannot send you tritium-contaminated parts outside of a completed watch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Service if it hasn't been in over 30 years. Fingers crossed that nothing is broken and drives up repair costs. Also try manually winding it and see if that helps.
Hi yes it will run if manually wound but I really miss the auto

Regards

James

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
They are likely destroying the old parts.

IIRC, the reason to replace old hands and dials is because that old trit lume degrades and starts to crack and crumble. If a piece of that crumbling lume breaks free and gets into the movement, game over. Your watch is going back to the service center for a tear down, clean, and lube. Since they warranty service for 2(?) years, the last thing the service center wants is to get a watch back after 8 months for a pro bono movement service because debris fell into the movement. So they replace any parts necessary to ensure that watch will run flawlessly for the duration of the after-service warranty.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
They are likely destroying the old parts.

IIRC, the reason to replace old hands and dials is because that old trit lume degrades and starts to crack and crumble. If a piece of that crumbling lume breaks free and gets into the movement, game over. Your watch is going back to the service center for a tear down, clean, and lube. Since they warranty service for 2(?) years, the last thing the service center wants is to get a watch back after 8 months for a pro bono movement service because debris fell into the movement. So they replace any parts necessary to ensure that watch will run flawlessly for the duration of the after-service warranty.
I am OK with that, just please give me back my original parts.

·
Registered
412 Posts
As stated if after giving it a full 30-40 turns of the crown if it still does not run service is needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts