WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has seen a good condition Rolex Turn O Graph “in the metal.” I am fascinated with the dress vibe of the Datejust with a rotating bezel.

Does anyone have any opinions on reference number, dial color, and bracelet combination that pops?

I was leaning towards a white or black dial. There appears to be two different bezel styles - I don’t have the words to describe - so I will post some pics.

Alternatively, if anyone can think of any comparable watches (dressy, thin, rotating bezel, 100m WR) I’d be all ears (or eyes in this case).

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Between the two you shared(5-digit and 6-digit models) I prefer the older model - with an Oyster bracelet it turns into a well-rounded tool watch. This particular model with a black dial is 16264. (There’s a blue sunburst dial too, quite nice) The only downside is the tiny lume dots.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I don't know a lot about them but I think the white dialed version in your first pic is one of the best looking watches they've ever made. Such a funky cool vibe with the fluted rotating bezel, red date and seconds, and it's highly legible.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I like them, but I like two-tone with the fluted bezel. It's a strange duck. There is nothing else quite like it, maybe for a good reason.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I really like that first one, especially with the way the red lettering pops against the white dial and I love the roulette date wheel (I assume it is? Or is it all red? Did Rolex even make all-red date wheels?).

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
This suggestion fails in that's it's neither a Datejust nor does it have a rotating bezel, but the Air-King ref 14010 with an engine turned bezel otherwise has the design and functionality you're looking for...it's long been one of my favorite non-traditional Rolex watches:

AK.JPG

It's 34mm but wears closer to 35mm - maybe even pushing 36mm - due to the case shape and bezel. I like it because while there's a lot going on (including the wedge-shaped "doorstop" indexes) it all flows nicely to the hands - sort of an ordered chaos - which results in a very legible watch. I think it straddles the line between sport and dress better than many Oyster Perpetuals. The other bit of good news is that used it tends to be one of the cheaper modern Rolex watches.

·
Premium Member
12,915 Posts
A very underrated Rolex model but I do like it, it is much more versatile than a classic datejust at least for me and it is a far more qualitative watch in its latest variants than any other competitor of its price range. The 3135 is a robust workhorse as are the 3035 and the 1575 movement wise. Plus as far as I have seen it on Chrono24, the Turnograph doesn't decrease in value unlike modern Omegas and other brands.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts

I owned this 116264 TOG White dial/Jubilee bracelet which I bought from an AD in 2005 and here are some answers to your questions and thoughts that might be insightful:

The one with the bezel shown in my photos is the fourth generation TOG which was in production from 2000-2011 when it was discontinued. The one with the other bezel you pictured was the prior generation TOG which ran from 1977-2000.

The newer one has a Fluted bezel (looks like a Datejust) whereas the one prior has a machined bezel (looks like a Yachtmaster). Very different looks, so decide if you want a TOG that looks "dressy" or "sporty" as there isn't much overlap.

Similarly, the newer one was offered either with the Jubilee bracelet or the PCL (polished center link) Oyster bracelet- both are blingy/flashy and, again, are really thought of as special edition Datejust's and not a unique reference of its own.

What set the 2000-2011 TOG apart from the other Datejust's of the time were a) the unique rotating Fluted bezel, b) the red accents on the dial/date/second hand, c) the Super Jubilee upgraded bracelet, and d) the high-polished case. It was also offered in many dial colors (White, Black, Blue, Grey) and TT as well.

So here's where you have to make a decision:

If you like the older "tool watch" style with the machined bezel and brushed Oyster bracelet, your alternative would be the current Explorer I or Oyster Perpetual. You lose the date function but the aesthetic is similar. Note if you go with the older style TOG it is very much a 'vintage' Rolex and you really need to embrace the lower quality, lighter weight, lesser bracelet, etc. or you will be disappointed.

If you like the newer "blingy dress watch" style with the Fluted bezel, polished case, and PCL Oyster bracelet/Jubilee bracelet, your alternative would be the current Datejust 36 or larger Datejust 41. Note if you go with the newer style TOG it is very much a modern Rolex and one that is quite flashy so you'd really need to embrace it as a DJ with some cool differences or you will be disappointed.

For me, I fell in love with the larger/lower/wider Datejust 41 and I didn't wear or need a white dial in my collection so I flipped my TOG for the DJ41 last year. The TOG is a great watch, and at $4,500 is a bargain, but you can disregard all the talk of it being a 'sport watch' or a 'rare reference'- it's essentially the current day Datejust 36 with red accents at a lower price with a low collectibility factor. Let me know if you have further questions, I'll be happy to answer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the insight. Very helpful.

I fear it’s a bit of a tweener but I really like that rotating bezel. I’ve been looking for something thin and dressy enough for business attire, with a bracelet and rotating bezel for a long time.

I’m usually a 41-42mm guy but these seem to have pretty good wrist presence.

I’ll dig a bit deeper into the generalities of owning an older model Rolex (maintaining WR for swimming, etc.) then see if I want to take the plunge...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It sounds like you need a 16710.
Your forum handle is on point as well. I’ve often thought about a 14060 as it ticks many boxes. However, subs are a bit too ubiquitous for me as I see them too often in the wild. GMT on the other hand...

I’ve been intrigued by GMTs but the reason I want the rotating bezel is to use as timer. My understanding is that modern GMT bezels are frustrating to use in this regard as they were not designed to time minutes and they click in 2.5 minute increments.

A brief forum search states that some older Rolex GMT models, including the 16710, had 120 click bezels. I would think it would be easy enough to time minutes...

Great suggestion, thanks!

·
Registered
38,520 Posts
Seen, handled, checked out and sold a Titanium Blue dial version to a Rolex guy who was clueless about them. He became a very good customer after that, that
was about 14 years ago. I don't recall the price I sold it for.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I owned a two-tone years ago. Took a beating when I sold it. I do miss it though but I still have a two tone datejust I still wear every now and then

1 - 20 of 54 Posts