Votes: 17 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While the watch fairy probably isn't making any deliveries this year sadly... I've been thinking of adding a chronograph to the collection at some point. So just kicking the tires a bit and wanted to hear thoughts.

Two of my favorites are the Rolex SS Daytona and the Omega Gray Side of the Moon.

What say you?! This isn't really about Rolex vs. Omega for me, I've got at least one example, non-chrono, from each. Think both make some great watches as we all know.

This is about the specific models. They're priced close enough together than cost shouldn't factor in too much. Not too worried about resale but realize the Daytona's resale will be much better and that counts for something, even if not too much in my book.

Daytona
+ = Classic design, tried and true movement, great size, resale, sits well on the wrist, great warranty and service interval
- = Perhaps a bit more mundane of a dial, SS isn't ceramic, not a fan of PCLs, solid case-back isn't a plus.

GSOM
+ = All ceramic, pretty platinum dial, open case-back with solidly decorated movement.
- = Is it too flavor of the year? Ceramic can crack. Relatively new movement. At the edge of too large, fits better on the wrist than I thought it would though. (edit: but I have a 45.5 Planet Ocean so I have bigger) Thicker.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
The Omega looks like a big 1980s watch with all that grey - about as fashionable as shoulder pads and sticks out about the same amount. The Daytona is unchanging, but I would take the black-dialled version over the white which looks like it would be harder to read.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Hmm. Interesting quandary. Both are obviously solid choices.
I prefer Omega as I find date complication useful, chrono time elapsed easier to read on a single subdial at 3-oclock, and overall design to be more modern.
That said, I can't wear the Omega due to size and thickness.

When you say it's at the edge - how comfortable is Omega GSOM really? If you cant see yourself wearing it on regular basis without catching the cuff, or smacking it into doors due to size, or if it's not a comfortable wrist fit - all other pluses no longer matter and go with a 40mm Daytona.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Whilst the Rolex is clearly the better investment, I hate to be seen wearing the same watch as somebody else so this pretty much rules our Rolex as a brand for me; well at the price point I can afford to spend anyway. You have also picked my top Omega, so it is a brainer for me.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Daytona. All day long.

Reactions: Vlance

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
If one can live without date complication (I am assuming you can otherwise Daytona should NOT be in your radar), then I would take the SS Daytona as this particular Omega appear rather gimmicky and I think I would tire of the design.

That said, if it was up to me, i would just save money and get the Speedy pro and call it a day IMHO. Iconic design/history/pedigree and about half the price to boot. :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Will you use the chrono or do you just like the look? As a chrono user, I find the Daytona's small screw-in pushers way too fiddly to operate and I find the subdials lack adequate contrast for readability.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Will you use the chrono or do you just like the look? As a chrono user, I find the Daytona's small screw-in pushers way too fiddly to operate and I find the subdials lack adequate contrast for readability.
In addition, no date, no AR coating and smallish size. But why bother with ceramics when you can buy the same 9300 movement (which is really outstanding) in steel or titanium package, saving money and future disappointment

Mine:

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Interesting thread, as I visit these two models as future additions to my collection. Just yesterday, I visited an Omega boutique. I went to compare the GSOTM to the '57 Co-Axial blue dial.
Given my history of personal preferences, the GSOTM should have been a clear winner. I don't know if it is because I prefer bracelet models, but the GSOTM simply did not sing to me. I much preferred the '57 Co-Axial with the blue dial and red chrono hands. I also really liked the new '57 model with the vintage lume.
I would say the Omega caliber 9300 is a better movement than the Rolex caliber 4130. However, as fit and comfort go, I strongly believe Daytona has the advantage. Yes, it is quite a bit smaller than the GSOTM, but having owned three Daytonas in the past I know it's a perfect fit for me. The Omega models with the 9300 all seem very tall, but I doubt that they are uncomfortable.
So between the two models you are comparing, I would give the nod to the Daytona. Personally I prefer to buy used watches. For the price of a used Daytona (which is scarcely reduced much from retail), I would step up to a used AP Royal Oak chronograph (not Offshore), or a VC Overseas chronograph.

·
Premium Member
13,650 Posts
Have not handled a GSOM but the legibility of the Daytona's dial and hands is a real dealbreaker for me.

Reactions: GrouchoM

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
For me, based on looks alone, it would be the Daytona out of these two. The WhateverSOTM models seem a little gimmicky to me, but the suggestion of another model with the 9300 caliber in it would give me serious consideration for an Omega.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Voted as well Daytona between the 2 however, if were my money i would consider a VC Chrono Overseas.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My vote goes to Daytona, as it has got the perfect size and great movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
Voted as well Daytona between the 2 however, if were my money i would consider a VC Chrono Overseas.
Same. Daytona by a good distance over the GSOTM though, which I find too thick, too gimmicky and in a material less suitable for a case. The 9300 is a great movement, but even there, it's a pretty close race with the 4130.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Somewhat biased as the Daytona is the favorite in my rotation. It's is very comfortable on the wrist, and the 4130 has been flawless. Given the size of other chronos out there, I appreciate that the Daytona is a fully integrated column wheel chronograph in a case of 40mm x 12.5mm (ish). The biggest downside for me has been the PCLs. I continue to hate them, but have learned to accept them on the Daytona. Legibility is also an issue, and I struggled with the black dial version. I happen to like the GSOTM as well, but simply couldn't get past the size. It looks like the grey market price of the GSOTM is well below retail so you could get a GSOTM and one other nice watch for the price of a Daytona. Not a bad option.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I really like the GSOTM, and voted for it, but am still a little uncertain as I much prefer a bracelet. I think over time, when the GSOTM isn't so new, I be happier with the Daytona.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I'm not particularly a fan of either, but if you have to save for another year or two, Omega will likely be on to the blue side of the moon edition while the Daytona will still be a timeless classic and look as it does today (although rumors of an update have circulated for the last 5 years).

i just can't keep up with all the Speemaster variations. The whole Speedmaster "franchise" brand extensions have become so cluttered I'm not even sure which version led the way anymore.

Reactions: slcbbrown
1 - 20 of 102 Posts