WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - first post and a question if I may. I’ve been a long time collecter of a few watches but there are two I now have my eyes on and have been saving for a while.

I wanted some unbiased views on which may be a better med/long term investment - I absolutely love both watches aesthetically but because it is a fairly chunky outlay I wanted to hear some views on which may hold value/appreciate better.

Firstly is the Rolex 116500LN (white face) which at the moment seems to be going for about GBP 17500.

Secondly is the Patek Aquanaught 5167a, which is almost exactly the same price at the moment.

Thoughts? Which one do you think might be a better buy.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Very interesting as I surely will be following this post myself to hear what the experts have to say about this..

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
With both trading well over MSRP in my opinion neither of these are a good buy. If you are willing to pay, you will have to decide which one you think will remain “hot”in the long term. if you can get one or both at retail though, thats a different story.

Between the two, Id rather own the Aquanaut.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Depends on who you are trying to impress. If it is others, then the Rolex (because Rolex makes the best watches in the world...).

But if it is for you, buy the one that feels best on your wrist (and you must try them on first).

·
Registered
12,059 Posts
Forget about investing in Watches and buy the one that you would prefer wearing regularly.

I prefer the Daytona myself but no way would I pay over full Recommended Retail Price for it. I have been waiting for over two years to obtain one at full RRP from an Authorised Rolex Dealer.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Neither should be seen as an investment, and certainly not paying above retail price for today's hot watch.

Your money would be infinitely better in the market than being put into this watch bubble. Buy because you love it and want to wear it, even if the value drops in half.

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts
116520 white dial fat hands would be my pick

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi there - first post and a question if I may. I’ve been a long time collecter of a few watches but there are two I now have my eyes on and have been saving for a while.

I wanted some unbiased views on which may be a better med/long term investment - I absolutely love both watches aesthetically but because it is a fairly chunky outlay I wanted to hear some views on which may hold value/appreciate better.

Firstly is the Rolex 116500LN (white face) which at the moment seems to be going for about GBP 17500.

Secondly is the Patek Aquanaught 5167a, which is almost exactly the same price at the moment.

Thoughts? Which one do you think might be a better buy.
17.5k pounds for an Aquanaut is pretty good, they can go as high as 22/23k in the grey market. I'd take the Patek over the Rolex any day, as:

- Rolex steel sports models in general are insanely overpriced for what they are: we are talking about mass-produced steel sports watches, not haute horologerie;
- Daytonas are benefiting greatly from Rolex artificially restricting supply (not production!) and from the absurd prices which vintage models have been fetching in the auctions circuit;
- Aquanauts (like most Pateks) are produced in smaller quantities and therefore might keep their value better in the future;

·
Banned
107 Posts
One's tea is another's poison, personally i would go with the Patek some others might go with the Rolex. Just chose the one you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
17.5k pounds for an Aquanaut is pretty good, they can go as high as 22/23k in the grey market. I'd take the Patek over the Rolex any day, as:

- Rolex steel sports models in general are insanely overpriced for what they are: we are talking about mass-produced steel sports watches, not haute horologerie;
- Daytonas are benefiting greatly from Rolex artificially restricting supply (not production!) and from the absurd prices which vintage models have been fetching in the auctions circuit;
- Aquanauts (like most Pateks) are produced in smaller quantities and therefore might keep their value better in the future;
Agree with this, Pateks are produced in lesser quantities and will eventually more rare in the future. However you should just pick which design you like the most.

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
Both are currently bad investments, if you're expecting either to appreciate over their currently inflated prices.

Having said that, if you're asking which one is going to be easier to cash in for close to what you paid, I'd say the Patek for one simple reason: while there are far more people who'd be interested in Rolex as a brand, a prospective Patek owner has already steeled himself (or herself) to paying what you'd likely ask for. Someone who just wants a Rolex can satisfy that itch for much less money than you'd ask for the Daytona.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
20,448 Posts
As others have quite rightly said neither are an investment at the MSRP +50% you will currently have to pay!!

As a day to day watch the Rolex will be a better watch, as something more unusual, and with some horological kudos the Patek.

As an aside I was looking at 5711’s a few years ago, but didn’t “Pull the trigger” what a mistaker I maker!!

Just looking at one used at £42000 on a £22000 MSRP, what was that about investments??

Reactions: Dave0944
1 - 20 of 86 Posts