Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick video I took of the Rolex Submariner and the Omega Seamaster GMT together. Both have movements that tick at 28800 beats per hour, but is there a difference in the smoothness of the sweep?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Where's the video?

·
Registered
563 Posts
The difference is the different color dials making the sweep look....well different.

Having said that the sweep is exactly the same.

Reactions: drg

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I don't notice any difference between the Rollie and the Omega - If there is a noticeable difference it's probably due to the dial or hand color.

But the Spring Drive - that's impressive looking :-!
I agree Rollie and Omega look the same to me..but the sweep on a spring drive is an absolute thing of beauty imo

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
keep em both...I'll take this one, blows both of them out of the water

It's too smooth, I need to be able to count the number of ticks!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It's too smooth, I need to be able to count the number of ticks!

for a guy who appreciates quality mov'ts this would be the last thing I would expect you to say :-d personally if I want to see "ticks" I'll head over to JcPenny and buy a $50 quartz...but as they say different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I agree Rollie and Omega look the same to me..but the sweep on a spring drive is an absolute thing of beauty imo
It's addictive indeed, and the Spring Drive is now the only watch I wear. :-!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I do love the Seiko Spring Drive, it's a great innovation, but it is not as big a quantum leap in technology as when quartz came out ... it is more an exhibition of Seiko's technical prowess as a watchmaker than anything else. I don't consider it to be a true "mechanical" watch since it uses a non-mechanical escapement (I think of it more as a true "hybrid), I would say the same of the Carrera Pendulum concept. Definitely see a Spring Drive in my future.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Anything over 24 Hz will look as smooth as the Accutron or the Spring Drive, so whenever the 43,200 bph movement hits the streets, it will look just as smooth as the Accutron or SD.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
lysanderxii, I know that one of the Audemars Piguet Jules Audemars models and the Grand Carrera Pendulum have movements that beat at 43,200 per hour and the new Breguet Type XXII beats at 72,000 per hour. I wonder if anyone has those watches (and has posted vidoes of their watches at work), would be very interesting to look at.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
An example of persistence of vision. The stopwatch hand make 12 starts and stops per second, but if you watch the ball end of the hand it appears to move smoothly.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I have a question for you guys is bph the main/only contributing factor to a smooth sweep? for example say I buy a watch with a standard 2824-2 and a different brand watch with...lets say an cosc upgraded decorated 2824-2, could "sweep" be better in one or the other or does it not matter at all?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I have a question for you guys is bph the main/only contributing factor to a smooth sweep? for example say I buy a watch with a standard 2824-2 and a different brand watch with...lets say an cosc upgraded decorated 2824-2, could "sweep" be better in one or the other or does it not matter at all?
The frequency the balance operates at governs the number of "steps" the second hand (and all the other hand as well) takes in a second. If the frequency of the "steps" is greater than the persistence of vision (around 20 Hz), it appears to move smoothly around the dial. Anything greater than this will not appear any smoother.

A 28,800 bph watch has a second hand that moves eight times each second, so it will never appear perfectly smooth, no matter how much work is done to it.

There are, however, other factors. Because the second starts and stops several times a second, the accelerations on the tip of the second hand are very high. If the hand has a heavy tip or extremely long, it will not stop dead as the escapement does. The tip will continue to swing, and overshoot, then rebound, before starting to move again. This extra motion can give the hand a jerky appearance. The tip of the stopwatch above suffers from this phenomenon.

The above does apply to even the Accutron, but never actually observed. Because it operates at 360 Hz, the tip of the second hand only moves 1/360 of the distance between second ticks, this is not enough to allow for perceptible over-shoot.

The above does not apply to the Spring Drive, because its second hand does not actually stop, but its motion is truly continuous.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts