WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I am fishing the waters to find out if anyone knows of instructions to replace the battery on a Ronda 505 movement. I've looked at pictures, and it appears that you have to unscrew the screw next to the stem that holds the battery in place and push it back ever so slightly so that it doesn't touch the coil.

Is that basically it? Does anyone have any other recommendations, or should I just not attempt it at all? The watch is a Traser P5900. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The Ronda 505 battery change is pretty easy.

Gauge Measuring instrument Circle Fashion accessory

Loosen the screw (no need to remove), use a needle to move the arm just a few mm.
The battery can be remove easily.
Note : careful not to damage the coil thou.

Gauge Auto part Circle Tachometer Measuring instrument

*not my pic but from net for illustration only.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Nope. No screwing or unscrewing involved. First let me familiarize you with the copper colored coil. This coil is wound with a wire thinner than human hair, much thinner. Touch this in any way will cause the wire to sever and the watch is DOA. Why do I point this out? Because 20% of the amateurs that attempt to change their own battery manage to cause their tool to slip and touch the coil. Now notice the small hole on the end of a spring bar near the "S" on the cell. With a pointed tool slowly bend the bar toward the coil and the cell will most likely pop up. Insert a cell and move the bar over the top of the new cell. The screw to the left of the "m" is purposely spaced so the bar can move so do not attempt to tighten it.

Test the old battery to make sure it is the problem. The assumption the watch doesn't work because the cell is dead is not correct. The watch may not work for many reasons and indeed may have multiple problems.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. No screwing or unscrewing involved. First let me familiarize you with the copper colored coil. This coil is wound with a wire thinner than human hair, much thinner. Touch this in any way will cause the wire to sever and the watch is DOA. Why do I point this out? Because 20% of the amateurs that attempt to change their own battery manage to cause their tool to slip and touch the coil. Now notice the small hole on the end of a spring bar near the "S" on the cell. With a pointed tool slowly bend the bar toward the coil and the cell will most likely pop up. Insert a cell and move the bar over the top of the new cell. The screw to the left of the "m" is purposely spaced so the bar can move so do not attempt to tighten it.

Test the old battery to make sure it is the problem. The assumption the watch doesn't work because the cell is dead is not correct. The watch may not work for many reasons and indeed may have multiple problems.
Thank your for that important insight! I've had the watch for over three years now, and from what I read that is the typical life for the 371 battery in this movement, so that is why I figured it was the battery. It's out of warranty now anyway, so I figured start with the battery and then go from there.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generally i suggest to refresh the battery every 2 years.
I ordered 5 Sony 371's. However, I am realizing that I should have just bought one because I plan on selling the watch soon (as soon as I am able to verify that it works). Oh well, I'll throw them in with the watch probably.

Thanks xzqt for the picture's btw. I saw those from a Google search and should have posted them myself.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I ordered 5 Sony 371's. However, I am realizing that I should have just bought one because I plan on selling the watch soon (as soon as I am able to verify that it works). Oh well, I'll throw them in with the watch probably.

Thanks xzqt for the picture's btw. I saw those from a Google search and should have posted them myself.
by the next time you will need them with that movement i guess they will be out of date and useless.

br
emso

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
by the next time you will need them with that movement i guess they will be out of date and useless.

br
emso
True, but it was five bucks for five of them, or $3.00 for just one, so I figure go with five and I'll figure out something to do with the rest.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Found some time (about 10 minutes is all it took) to replace the battery, and it worked like a charm.

I didn't have a thin enough tool (probe?) to fit in the eye of the spring bar, so instead I just used what I had ( a broad, flat watch band post remover) and gently pushed the spring bar back until the battery popped up, made sure I was putting the battery on top of the contacts that are under the battery to the right, pushed down gently on the battery, let go of the spring bar, and it was done.

Now it's ready to sell. Thanks again dacattoo!

Reactions: dacattoo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.