WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dramatic, wasn't it? Regardless, I have never even owned a real watch. And as I'm almost 26 and trying to portray myself as a respectable gentleman, I think it's about time.

I'm going to try to be as thorough as I can, given that I feel it's the best way to have some guidance.First, I will confess that I'm not looking for a quartz or a mechanical watch. This all began when a friend referred me to the Xeriscope, but after further research and consideration we both retracted our support on the grounds that it was a certifiable piece of ****. Thereafter I've sought designs that appeal to me, but it seems I have expensive tastes. I'm quite a fan of Maurice Lacroix watches, and the LM1 Xia Hang by MB&F with the blue background suits me splendidly. Sadly neither suits my budget. After all, I'm still just a kid, yes? I saw a couple Movado watches that weren't bad, as well as a Burberry that I'd accept. But overall, I'd ideally prefer to spend under 2K for a watch.

One of the dilemmas is that I'm a relatively unique personality and so I'd like my watch to say as much. Unique, yet classy. A good example is the Xia Hang I mentioned or the Masterpiece Gravity by Maurice Lacroix. I want a watch I can and will wear every day, so it must be well made and durable enough to survive every day life. But that is also why I want an automatic, as it will be perpetually charged and in use. The other dilemma is admittedly I seem to have a wrist on the smaller side. At some point I may take a photo of my wrist beside a ruler to give a visual, but the dial is likely to need to lean toward the smaller size for a guy like me. For perspective, I'm 5'7 and 140 pounds.

I live in NYC as well, so there are plenty of places I can go in order to browse. I was recently in Macy's but I expect shopping there is sort of foolish financially given the resources available. And of course as this is a big purchase, both financially and with respect to how long I intend to have/wear this watch, I didn't want to rush the decision or go into it blind; hence my presence on this forum.Overall I'm looking for an automatic watch, preferably with a Swiss movement, that will be classy enough to wear with a suit, but still unique enough to stand out and catch the eye in more than pure elegance. I want a watch that reflects my personality. I am not a fan of pure skeleton watches. A small window is fine. And I don't need all the fuss. A single time dial, or two if it's necessary, is more than enough. I'm not in need of a chronograph either. Just the time is fine. In fact, my mind looks at some watches that are so busy, I wonder if people can even read all the information. I need clean, simple, slightly artistic, and good quality.Well, that's all I got for now. Let me know if there's anything else I can contribute! I look forward to hearing from you all and hope to find a lovely watch soon. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I'm adding two things. One, a list of examples of watches I like as requested. It's later in the thread but I thought I'd add it here as well. Also, I have to say Maurice Lacroix seem to be a style I'm very drawn to and favor.I've tried to roughly sort them from top to bottom in preference.

Watch : Masterpiece Roue Carrée Seconde | Maurice Lacroix

LM1 Xia Hang - Performance Art - Machines - Maximilian Büsser and Friends
Clifton 10057 moon phase watch for men - Baume et Mercier
LM1 - Legacy Machines - Machines - Maximilian Büsser and Friends
Watch : Masterpiece Small Seconde | Maurice Lacroix
Watch : Calendrier Rétrograde Manufacture | Maurice Lacroix
Watch : MASTERPIECE GRAVITY | Maurice Lacroix
01 733 7681 4084-Set LS - Oris John Coltrane Limited Edition - Oris John Coltrane - Culture - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.
01 623 7582 4054-07 8 21 73 - Oris Artelier Small Second, Date - Oris Artelier - Culture - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.
Movado | Modern Ahead of Its Time: Official Movado Website, Innovative Fine Timepieces
Swiss Made C5SCS-MK2 C5 Malvern Automatic MK II Watch from Christopher Ward
The Longines Master Collection - Longines - L2.257.5.57.7
http://www.longines.com/images/watch...763.5.52.7.jpg
The Longines Saint-Imier Collection - Longines - L2.763.4.52.3
Conquest Classic - Longines - L2.285.4.56.6

Too many to say one is exactly better than the other but I think you guys will get a better idea.
Another Edit -

This brand is also marvelous and on par with Maurice Lacroix for me:
Home » Voutilainen - Horlogerie d'Art

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi WatchnRolla,

I think those might be a bit too plain for what I'm looking to achieve through my watch. But thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello, I could suggest 2 quite different but beautifully classical watches of fine manufacture for you. Both have "in-house" movements conceived and produced by the manufacturer himself. Frederique Constant is Swiss, the model which has fine guilloche work is the FC-700MS5M6. The second I like, a more sober rendition is German and very attractive, the Nomos Tangente. Excellent quality for a very reasonable price at under $2000 for both.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I suggest you look at Nomos, Sinn (is there an echo in here), Hamilton, Tissot, maybe Baume et Marcier, Oris and Longines. Prowl through their catalogs and see if anything hits you within your budget.

Edit: was posting while you replied re Sinn and Nomos, try Oris, Longines and B et M. If anything comes close to your fancy put up a picture so we know the direction to go in.

Second edit: to be honest well made and highly unique don't remotely fit with your budget, those are more haute horology traits which usually start at mid-level European sedan prices and go up.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Take a look at Longines, they fit in your price range and have a variety of styles. FC and ML are both good choices.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Im thinking longines legend diver. Under 2000 used. 2300 retail. Great watch that has a huge following here. Not the fanciest movement since its eta. But hey its a lifetime of easy and relatively cheaper service costs for you. Can easily dress up or down. Even has a great WR rating to boot.
http://rs34.pbsrc.com/albums/d150/cwflye/DSC_0002-6.jpg~320x480

Contrary to whats said above. I wouldnt necessarily recommend sinn. The only one i would consider is the 104. All the other ones are just too utilitarian and toolish to dress up. This is at a nice 1600 price range so great for your budget. Leaves you some cash for a nice strap or two.
http://rs1152.pbsrc.com/albums/p500/RR-Corniche/Sinn-104.jpg~320x480

Frankly if youre open to used you can stretch that 2000 quite a long ways. On watch recon you can find a few of the tag carreras for around that. Great watches but the brand just gets some flak. The msrp is a bit overpriced but oh well youre buying it at a much lower price than their 4500~.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
There is nothing u want ...unique and Swiss just can't be done for under 2k. Most designs from a Swiss maker would not be anywhere like the MB&F or ML gravity you like. Have u considered the Sevenfriday watch ?

Sent from my Hongmi

·
Registered
584 Posts
With a 2k budget you are in a used Omega Seamaster bond diver range. Its a beautiful piece that carries status with it. The blue bond is my grail.

Otherwise if you want something new, you are in the Longines & Oris price ranges. I'd take a look at their catalogs and get whatever moves you.

Buy the watch you want. Not what people tell you to get.

Reactions: opticalserenity

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi all!

Thanks for the replies. I saw some brands mentioned and I'll check those out. Of the photos shown, some are nice but most just look rather simplistic in nature, and that's not what I'm going for. I'm starting to feel balzebub might be right in that it simply isn't possibly to accomplish what I want with the budget I'm aiming for. I may have to settle for simple yet nice, but I want to see if anyone has anything still to recommend/offer.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Dramatic, wasn't it? Regardless, I have never even owned a real watch. And as I'm almost 26 and trying to portray myself as a respectable gentleman, I think it's about time. I'm going to try to be as thorough as I can, given that I feel it's the best way to have some guidance.

First, I will confess that I'm not looking for a quartz or a mechanical watch. This all began when a friend referred me to the Xeriscope, but after further research and consideration we both retracted our support on the grounds that it was a certifiable piece of ****. Thereafter I've sought designs that appeal to me, but it seems I have expensive tastes. I'm quite a fan of Maurice Lacroix watches, and the LM1 Xia Hang by MB&F with the blue background suits me splendidly. Sadly neither suits my budget. After all, I'm still just a kid, yes? I saw a couple Movado watches that weren't bad, as well as a Burberry that I'd accept. But overall, I'd ideally prefer to spend under 2K for a watch.

One of the dilemmas is that I'm a relatively unique personality and so I'd like my watch to say as much. Unique, yet classy. A good example is the Xia Hang I mentioned or the Masterpiece Gravity by Maurice Lacroix. I want a watch I can and will wear every day, so it must be well made and durable enough to survive every day life. But that is also why I want an automatic, as it will be perpetually charged and in use. The other dilemma is admittedly I seem to have a wrist on the smaller side. At some point I may take a photo of my wrist beside a ruler to give a visual, but the dial is likely to need to lean toward the smaller size for a guy like me. For perspective, I'm 5'7 and 140 pounds.

I live in NYC as well, so there are plenty of places I can go in order to browse. I was recently in Macy's but I expect shopping there is sort of foolish financially given the resources available. And of course as this is a big purchase, both financially and with respect to how long I intend to have/wear this watch, I didn't want to rush the decision or go into it blind; hence my presence on this forum.

Overall I'm looking for an automatic watch, preferably with a Swiss movement, that will be classy enough to wear with a suit, but still unique enough to stand out and catch the eye in more than pure elegance. I want a watch that reflects my personality. I am not a fan of pure skeleton watches. A small window is fine. And I don't need all the fuss. A single time dial, or two if it's necessary, is more than enough. I'm not in need of a chronograph either. Just the time is fine. In fact, my mind looks at some watches that are so busy, I wonder if people can even read all the information. I need clean, simple, slightly artistic, and good quality.

Well, that's all I got for now. Let me know if there's anything else I can contribute! I look forward to hearing from you all and hope to find a lovely watch soon.

Thanks in advance!
Given your stature, consider a 38mm-43mm case with 43mm being the largest you should go. For an all around dressy and casual watch you will want something on the smaller end or when the current 'bigger is better' phase ends you will be buying another watch (although I can almost guarantee you will want more after the first anyway). You want skeletonized, but based on where you have looked previously, a dressy/casual skeletonized watch of lifetime quality is likely out of your budget. You should seriously consider Nomos given most of your criteria. Bang for buck, the Nomos will never be a watch you no longer appreciate even if you one day end up in 'high end' collecting. In-house movement, casual/dressy style, great finishing in the range and unique.

Unlike a Baume, FC, Raymond W. or other ETA based watch (which are great watches in their own right), most Nomos are a superb value for those that appreciate the whole package and not just the appearance. Sinn may interest you as well, but most do not cross over into the 'dressy' if you end up in suits. Having said that, the appropriate watch for any outfit is really a personal taste issue. . .

As a 'First Time Buyer' here are some topics to consider/research:

1) You will have to pay 300-1500 to have a mechanical watch serviced every 5-7 years. Figure maintenance into your choice.
2) Grey Market vs. Authorized Dealer
3) New vs. Used (with or without box, papers, serial number)
4) Availability of techs who can service a Boutique Brand should they cease operation (especially if it is a non-ETA movement)
5) Auto vs Handwound (how much interaction do you want with your watch in your life?)

Whatever you choose, ENJOY! (and welcome to an addiction, I mean 'hobby')

Reactions: opticalserenity
1 - 20 of 58 Posts