WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

It's with great excitement that I present this introduction to the first model from my startup watch company, Halios Watches. My concept is an Asian-made diver powered by the workhorse Miyota 8215 that rivals the specs, fit and finish of its more vaunted Swiss or German-made cousins, all at a lower price point. The Holotype Marine will be offered in a limited run of 300.

Much like most DWF members, I absolutely love the concept of a rugged, beater tool watch that can withstand anything I put it through: fistfights, scuba, gunplay, bomb defusing and whatever else a secret agent lifestyle would throw at me.

Reality: I might keep my ETA 2824-2 "tool watch" on to do the dishes, but only if the water isn't too hot.

We all know Seiko and Citizen make amazing watches - true beaters that you'd actually take diving, with movements that will last for decades. I want to offer that same bang for the buck but raise the stakes with a tough, high quality, custom-manufactured case, sapphire crystal and styling inspired by chunky 70s dive classics. I'm targeting a price range of $300 - $400.

I'm humbly requesting your honest feedback, advice and opinions, and I've attached three design pictures for your perusal. I'd much rather hear a "you're crazy" (and I have, from a fellow member - thanks Z ;-)) than a nonchalant "great, good luck with your venture".

Specifications:

Case and bezel: 316L brushed steel, 44mm wide, 45mm lug to lug
WR 30 ATM
Sapphire crystal with AR undercoating - likely 4mm thick
24mm lug width - lugs are hooded as you'll see from the pictures
Bracelet: I tried sourcing a mesh from China, but the quality is just not there. A German source is possible, but may affect the final pricing. I really like the vintage Omega presidential bracelet with the big fat links.

Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Jason

*approved by watchuseek*

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hi all,

It's with great excitement that I present this introduction to the first model from my startup watch company, Halios Watches. My concept is an Asian-made diver powered by the workhorse Miyota 8215 that rivals the specs, fit and finish of its more vaunted Swiss or German-made cousins, all at a lower price point. The Holotype Marine will be offered in a limited run of 300.

Much like most DWF members, I absolutely love the concept of a rugged, beater tool watch that can withstand anything I put it through: fistfights, scuba, gunplay, bomb defusing and whatever else a secret agent lifestyle would throw at me.

Reality: I might keep my ETA 2824-2 "tool watch" on to do the dishes, but only if the water isn't too hot.

We all know Seiko and Citizen make amazing watches - true beaters that you'd actually take diving, with movements that will last for decades. I want to offer that same bang for the buck but raise the stakes with a tough, high quality, custom-manufactured case, sapphire crystal and styling inspired by chunky 70s dive classics. I'm targeting a price range of $300 - $400.

I'm humbly requesting your honest feedback, advice and opinions, and I've attached three design pictures for your perusal. I'd much rather hear a "you're crazy" (and I have, from a fellow member - thanks Z ;-)) than a nonchalant "great, good luck with your venture".

Specifications:

Case and bezel: 316L brushed steel, 44mm wide, 45mm lug to lug
WR 30 ATM
Sapphire crystal with AR undercoating - likely 4mm thick
24mm lug width - lugs are hooded as you'll see from the pictures
Bracelet: I tried sourcing a mesh from China, but the quality is just not there. A German source is possible, but may affect the final pricing. I really like the vintage Omega presidential bracelet with the big fat links.

Thanks for looking, and thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Jason

*approved by watchuseek*

since you asked for it. i like the design but here are my ideas

1. dont need to be so thick. 300wr watch can be 14mm thick at most. yours looks like 1000m-2000m thick

2. i have few questions about dial:)
a. the seconds hand, needs something at the tip. it's too bland right now
b the hour hand also needs a tip>?
c the dial looks too much like sinn u1, it's not nessesary a bad thing, but imo thick bezel kills the balance.

3. make sure lugs are long enough to take bracelets/and up to 6mm thick leather strap(right now they look like nothing no nylon strpa or leather strap will fit, they should be i would think about 10mm long at least)
4. make sure you have drilled through lugs, and if possible use screw pins
5. do not use butterfly for clasp. normal adjustible clasp is what u need with secure deployant.
6. bezel numbers seems a abit too small/thin for it's thickness/width maybe make them larger:)
7. i cant tell much about lume, but try to have a big one
8. i think minolta movement has day/date version? if so, that would be nice:0
9. 45mm is nice, but seems bezel width makes crystal about 30mm wide at most. can we try to get a bit wider dial, perhaps 33mm? it would be nice for sure

other than that, as long as movement does inside 10 seconds a /24 hrs, and automatic it's fine!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
think the bezel is a bit wide, personaly like bold markers from 0-15 aswell, also think it might be good to take a risk on the hands, add some flavor.
I like the bold square hands and markers, but its done alot, it seems the good ones have a unique touch. This one seems to be missing that.

Ill be looking foward to seeing your ideas,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tks for sharing

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
1) hands are too stumpy - make them both longer, the hr hand definitely needs more.

2) crown depth is too shallow. needs to be longer to make it easier to grip. what is the diameter?

3) what is the dial diameter? the wide bezel makes the dial appear even smaller. the bezel could be a little more narrow.

4) not a big fan of the miyota automatic movements. i have a few watches with their movements and they don't inspire me to buy more. i think you'll get better sales if you switch to the 2824 and probably beter accuracy.

more to follow...an interesting design with some possibilites.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
since you asked for it. i like the design but here are my ideas

1. dont need to be so thick. 300wr watch can be 14mm thick at most. yours looks like 1000m-2000m thick

2. i have few questions about dial:)
a. the seconds hand, needs something at the tip. it's too bland right now
b the hour hand also needs a tip>?
c the dial looks too much like sinn u1, it's not nessesary a bad thing, but imo thick bezel kills the balance.

3. make sure lugs are long enough to take bracelets/and up to 6mm thick leather strap(right now they look like nothing no nylon strpa or leather strap will fit, they should be i would think about 10mm long at least)
4. make sure you have drilled through lugs, and if possible use screw pins
5. do not use butterfly for clasp. normal adjustible clasp is what u need with secure deployant.
6. bezel numbers seems a abit too small/thin for it's thickness/width maybe make them larger:)
7. i cant tell much about lume, but try to have a big one
8. i think minolta movement has day/date version? if so, that would be nice:0
9. 45mm is nice, but seems bezel width makes crystal about 30mm wide at most. can we try to get a bit wider dial, perhaps 33mm? it would be nice for sure

other than that, as long as movement does inside 10 seconds a /24 hrs, and automatic it's fine!
Wow, like reading my mind. I agree, and especially points 2 and 9.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
1.) I don't care at all for the hands or dial.

2.) Smaller bezel, larger dial would be nice.

3.) With the hooded lugs is there room for a nice thick strap?

Is there a market for this watch? I don't honestly know. There are some pretty decent watches already out there in your targeted price range. I think to be successful you need an entirely original design that appeals to a large segment of watch nuts. Not an easy task.

Best of luck, Mike W.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
lets all give a big welcome to Jason. after talking to geoff anf myself, then talking with ernie, Jason is in the house! glad to have you here.
points on the watch.
1) the bezel needs to be wider, and have longer teeth to grip, similar to the mm. also the bezel should have a larger inner diameter to accomidate a bigger dial. us old guys need to be able to read whats on it.
2)no mention of the case height. I'm sure to get the 300m rating thats probably fixed.
3) the lugs. those look great and a aftermarket bracelet or mesh will work, but its so shallow that a strap won't fit as it is at the moment.
4) movement. I'd like something different but the 8215 is a good movement and if that keeps the price down thats great. no since in trying to source hard to get movements.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi Jason,

I just wanted to welcome you to the Dive Watches Forum. :-!

I'm sure that you'll get plenty of helpful and honest suggestions from the gang. Your first offering has solid good looks, with room for some tweaking to help make it even better. ;-)

I wish you and your venture much success! |>

·
Registered
833 Posts
I applaud someone doing something like this. I hope you can pull it off.

My comments:

- As others have said, bezel is too wide. There is an annulus of 'white space' outside the numbers. I like the height of the bezel from the side though. Thoroughly grippable like a SAR.
- If the date is going to be at 3 instead of an indicator, I think it looks more balanced to have black on white date wheel. You could make the window the same size as the other indicators.
- I like the crown at 4 but it needs to be longer, maybe even larger in diameter. If it's beefy enough you can do away with shrouding I think.
- The Miyota is definitely a workhorse, but for $300-400, I want a hacking movement if possible.
- Is Halios written on the chapter ring or the dial? Dial = OK. Chapter ring = no.
- Dial markers and hands are boring. I like the uncluttered dial, especially the logo being down by 6, rather than up by 12, if it's going to be the only thing on the dial. Will really look nice and balanced when the watch is 'smiling' (10:10).
- Echo what some others have said about the hooded lugs and thick 24mm straps fitting in there. Also consider using a more contoured lug (curve down towards wrist) to give more wearability to a larger range of (smaller) wrist sizes.

OK, enough nit picking for now.

Oh yeah, if this pulls though with a little more design polish, I want *13.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
A question first before I give my take on it.

What is the proposed overall thickness of the watch?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like the fat hands and how the crown sort of hugs the case. As long as it is easy to use that is a cool look.

The lug to lug length is great for people with smaller wrists so I'm a fan of that.

Definitely reduce the width of the bezel, but not too much.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I agree with all the suggestions above, and wanted to add votes for

1) larger diameter dial (you can make the bezel thinner on the inside diameter)
2) push the indices all the way to the edge to make the dial look larger
3) LUME the second hand - it KILLS a dive watch if the second hand is not lumed
4) use a lot of C3 SL lume - we are all lume nuts here
5) a longer crown would make it easier to grip, and some assymetry by adding a crown guard wouldn't hurt either
6) make sure to ship it with a bracelet, and don't nickel and dime customers by making it optional
7) did I mention lume? lots of lume - I've seen some watches with C3 which are miserable, so it should be a good thick coat
8) i suppose those hour and minute hands could be a shade thinner, right now they overwhelm the dial

Oh I also have no issues with the 8215 movement - its a good robust movement and like Sean said, I'm all for keeping the cost down.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Why hooded lugs?

Why not a cushion case, like THE classic, Seiko 6309?

Very 70's but easier to fit Straps on. :-!

·
Registered
8,370 Posts
1) the 15/30/45 markers on the bezel... make them slightly larger and with superluminova.

2) Crystal, THICKER! Go to 6mm's thick

3) Second Hand... add a box tip. No triangle or mercedes style. They have both been beaten to death. Box tip is clean and easily visible.

4) Crown guard of some type.

5) I am not sure if the name Halios means something... but I am not keen on the 3 little half moons on the case back. I think it makes it look nuclear or something. Does nothing for me at all.

6) As ptolemy mentioned... Please do make sure lugs are long enough to take bracelets up to a 6mm thick leather strap & make sure you have drilled through lugs, and DEFINITELY use screw pins.

7) Superluminova all the way!

I LOVE the blunt minute and hour hands... Keep them the way they are.

The bezel is great with its height/thickness. Easy to grip.

Love the clean Utilitarian look of this model. Looks heavy duty and ready to take on the world. I want one!

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
I'm thinking he wants to stay in the 3 to 400 dollar price range which limits some choices. I wonder how much can be packed into this watch at that price and still turn a profit? regardless, I'm in. this looks like its going to be fun for the dwf members.|>

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Welcome Jason. I think you may have something here. I'll be watching closely and I think if you can stay close to your price point as the watch moves toward its final design it will do well. I like the basic design and am looking forward to more drawings as it evolves.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hi Paipanic. I really like your concept and it looks like it should evolve nicely. The size and case style click for me, as does the hands/dial layout. I have been looking for a dive watch with a Massive over-sized high-rise machined ratcheting bezel with aggressive grips (roughly along the lines of the JSAR but taller), so for me the bigger the bezel the better. My best most constructive comments would be to possibly consider lengthening the bezel indexes and moving the numerals to the outer edge with a bigger font. I would also consider possibly lengthening the crown another 4 or 5 mm to produce a better match with the large bezel. Last, you may consider utilizing the Sellita SW-200 movement and may find it very cost competitive with the Miyota 8215. By the looks of things, you are on to something good. Best.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Jason....

The watch looks great..... but those hands are horrible.
Pointed hands with loads of lume.
Orange goes well with a black dial it is a combination that is not used enough IMO.
I look forward to any updates ...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hi Jason,

So your gonna try eating out of Seiko's dog dish, huh? Nice. And best of luck!

* Case height would be good to know.
* My personal preference. Dump the Block hands. I know many really like them, but for some reason, I can't warm up to them and I won't own a watch with them.
* Ditto what others have said on the lugs. Make sure they are long enough to accommodate straps/bracelets/etc.

Love the diameter, sapphire, WR Rating, and clean, simple dial.

Have fun and I'll look forward to following this project.

--Steve

1 - 20 of 138 Posts