WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Seikosha
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had not one but TWO chance encounters this month with Audemars Piguet Rose Gold Royal Oak. After learning awhile back that AP used to produce all watches in noble metals until the quartz crisis forced their hand to create the SS Royal Oak, I've been much more intrigued with the gold and rose gold APs.

Spotted these out of the corner of my eye:
39mm Rose Gold Black Dial @ work.
37mm Rose Gold White Dial with Diamond Bezel @ a wedding.

I always strike up a conversation and ask to put it on my wrist. These just aren't readily available at boutiques just because you have $40,000 burning a hole in your pocket if you don't spend it.

Leave the stainless to Rolex, Omega, Tag...

IMG_6406.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Man, call me a crank, but I would be very annoyed if someone approached me and asked to try on my $40,000 watch. Like, don't make me say "No, sorry". It's just rude. Be cool and maybe I'll offer.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
As I get older I am beginning to like solid gold watches more than in my youth. I'm not sure if this is a good sign or not?

As for the AP RO - The opening photo provided by the OP supports most watch enthusiast's contention that they are a scratch/ding magnet. I don't know why people scratch them up so easily? I have a AP RO 15300 and I never seem to catch it?

·
Premium Member
17,778 Posts
Love ROs but gold is not my cup of tea. As others have said, it screams "old guy!" and not in a good way...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Love ROs but gold is not my cup of tea. As others have said, it screams "old guy!" and not in a good way...
I like it. Maybe I’m just an old man now though (48yo):)

Reactions: Alysandir

·
Registered
160 Posts
Man, call me a crank, but I would be very annoyed if someone approached me and asked to try on my $40,000 watch. Like, don't make me say "No, sorry". It's just rude. Be cool and maybe I'll offer.
I guess it depends on the context right? If someone strikes up a great conversation and is a true WIS, why not?

If someone random comes out of nowhere and asks to try it, that’s a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I guess it depends on the context right? If someone strikes up a great conversation and is a true WIS, why not?

If someone random comes out of nowhere and asks to try it, that’s a different story.
If we're in the sort of setting where watches are being taken off and passed around, like a Red Bar gathering or whatever, sure. But outside of that context, and regardless of the quality of conversation, I am very unlikely to hand you my watch upon request. I still maintain that it's rude to even ask. If I judge you to be trustworthy, I'll offer. But that's me.

Reactions: Alysandir

·
Registered
676 Posts
I like it too. Don't know why? As I got older, I started looking at rose gold watches.
I swore during my 30s that I will never buy gold watches, but I guess taste do change as we age.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I like it too. Don't know why? As I got older, I started looking at rose gold watches.
I swore during my 30s that I will never buy gold watches, but I guess taste do change as we age.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I dunno, to me the style of the RO already says "I'm stuck in the '70s", the gold version seems like it says that even louder.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Count me in on the "got older and now like gold watch" club. I guess I have had my share or fill of steel, and now really appreciate the heft and appearance of gold and platinum. Havent had a full bracelet PM watch yet though.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
On the subject of "now that I've gotten older, I find myself liking gold," I think you have to have reached a point in your life where either A) you feel you've "earned the right" to put gold on your wrist - kind of like a, I worked hard and paid my dues, kind of thing - or, B) you can earnestly say that you've stopped caring what every strange Tom, Dick, or Harry think about you. It's reaching that point in your life where small matters no longer bother you, as you've built up a callus to them, and you carry yourself with a certain amount of gravitas.

Unfortunately, that age also tends to come with the drawbacks of looking ridiculous in sports jerseys, rock band t-shirts, and backpacks for daily use, so there's definitely some give and take to it.

Regards,
Alysandir

1 - 16 of 16 Posts