WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Rotary Aquaspeed AGS00068. I wanted to hear opinions about it. Does anyone know the movement it uses ? Would really appreciate if someone told me what movement this watch has.

Once the watch arrives I will post a review and pictures. Thanks for whoever answers! This is my first time I'm posting a thread ! xD

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I just ordered the Rotary Aquaspeed AGS00068. I wanted to hear opinions about it. Does anyone know the movement it uses ? Would really appreciate if someone told me what movement this watch has.

Once the watch arrives I will post a review and pictures. Thanks for whoever answers! This is my first time I'm posting a thread ! xD

Sorry mate, but it would've been wise to ask about this watch before buying it. I don't really bother/know much about Rotary but looking at their page this seems like a:

- cheap "homage" to an Omega Seamaster way overpriced

- Quartz movement... you could've gotten a watch with a genuine mechanical Swiss ETA-2824 movement with that money (at least for the 305 Euros the Aquaspeed with Bracelet costs).

- not really water resistant and not suitable for diving at all

- what is a "sapphirite" crystal? (sounds like bullsh*t marketing)

All in all you would have been better off buying something a little more expensive but way better like a Steinhart Ocean One or the swiss made Squale 20 Atmos. Both being real dive watches with exceptional quality and swiss mechanical movements. You could've also gotten something way cheaper with still better quality and Japanese mechanical movements like Seiko, Citizen, Orient which some are even less than half the price the Rotary costs. Or some cool boutique divers from Deep Blue, Armida and many many others that are well built but use cheaper but good Japanese movements from Seiko or Myiota.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The rotary page I looked up had them $250 (Aquaspeed Gents White Case Watch - AGS00068/W/04 | Rotary Watches) albeit out of stock.

Could you let me know where I can get the steinhart ocean ones and squale 20 atmos for this price :)

Sorry mate, but it would've been wise to ask about this watch before buying it. I don't really bother/know much about Rotary but looking at their page this seems like a:

- cheap "homage" to an Omega Seamaster way overpriced

- Quartz movement... you could've gotten a watch with a genuine mechanical Swiss ETA-2824 movement with that money.

- not really water resistant and not suitable for diving at all

- what is a "sapphirite" crystal? (sounds like bullsh*t marketing)

All in all you would have been better off buying something like a Steinhart Ocean One or the swiss made homage to the Rolex divers a Squale 20 Atmos. Both being real dive watches with exceptional quality and swiss mechanical movements. You could've also gotten something way cheaper with still better quality and Japanese mechanical movements like Seiko, Citizen, Orient which some are even less than half the price the Rotary costs. Or some cool boutique divers from Deep Blue, Armida and many many others that are well built but use cheaper but good Japanese movements from Seiko or Myiota.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The rotary page I looked up had them $250 (Aquaspeed Gents White Case Watch - AGS00068/W/04 | Rotary Watches) albeit out of stock.

Could you let me know where I can get the steinhart ocean ones and squale 20 atmos for this price :)
EUR 235 is definitely more than USD 250. But I edited it before anyway because I realized I was looking at the model with the bracelet which is EUR 305 (so around USD 395) but to be fair here both the Steinhart and the Squale also come with bracelet. Besides if you check the quoting again, I said he would be better off buying the Steinhart or Squale, not that he could get them for the same price (in fact I edited it before to clarify that they do cost a little more).

But then again it's USD 395 vs. 400 comparing the Rotary (with bracelet) vs. the Squale if not sold out already. If it is sold out, you can also wait for the slightly improved model which well be admittedly a little more expensive at 420 or 450 (didn't remember exactly).

EDIT: http://www.gnomonwatches.com/product-detail.asp?pid=1268

So it's just 420 and is available starting tomorrow. Is 25 bucks really that much of a premium for a quality-built watch that is Swiss made, has real diver capabilities, has a Swiss ETA-2824 in comparison to a generic Quartz mvmt and comes from a company with some real history behind it, once manufacturing watch cases for companies like Sinn, Doxa, Blancpain...

·
Registered
211 Posts
You are right, 250 euro is more than usd 250 however, if you look at the link I posted it is $280 (usd, note at the bottom of the page it states "all prices are in usd"). I originally posted $250, so I apologise for that mistake and no "25 bucks" is not too much for better quality but sadly in this case the upgrade is more then that.
Not attacking you man and I really do wish I could get either model you stated for 280 dollars

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I forgot to add that I bought this for 120 euros as it had half sale price! Thank, you for being honest the next watch I will buy I will ask before I buy it I'm just new to watches. Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
No probs, your watch doesn't look that bad, though there are others, particularly in the seiko, orient and citizen range around that price that might have offered a bit better value. There are heaps of members around with far more knowledge and far better advice I can give you that will be more than happy to help you with any future purchases.
BTW welcome to the forum

Sorry, I forgot to add that I bought this for 120 euros as it had half sale price! Thank, you for being honest the next watch I will buy I will ask before I buy it I'm just new to watches. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yeah it probably depends on where you are located, I get the prices in EUR on their site.

Personally if I would've bought a watch in that price range I would have looked at the Orient Mako or Seiko SKX007 for example, but 120 sounds more realistic for the Rotary, at least it's not an amount that will hurt you :).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Agreed, mako and 007 great watches in that price range. Sorry bout the bombardment ; )

Yeah it probably depends on where you are located, I get the prices in EUR on their site.

Personally if I would've bought a watch in that price range I would have looked at the Orient Mako or Seiko SKX007 for example, but 120 sounds more realistic for the Rotary, at least it's not an amount that will hurt you :).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry, all of the above.

Had one, and very disapointed. I bought before I got educated by this forum.

The button on the 10'o clock tightens the bezel btw.

The crown is huge and does not screw in. In fact it popped out on me several times under normal wear causing the watch to stop.

But depending where you bought from, Rotary claims they will fully refund you if unworn.

Have alook at the watches mentioned, you wont be disapointed.

Btw, I replaced with a Steinhart Ocean1 which actually worked out the same price for me. Had the ss bracelet Rotary.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Seiko, Seagull, Orient all make much better respected options in this price range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts