WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rotary Aquaspeed or Seiko 5?

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  sticky 
#1 ·
Need a casual/dressyish watch. Just a college kid--obviously not to be worn with suits or anything but business casual. Considering the Rotary Aquaspeed or Seiko 5 both with silver band and blue face. Is this a no brainer for the Seiko if price is the same? Going to London soon and the Rotary being a UK watch could be a conversation starter... Thanks for the help.
Also, is there any cheap site to find a Tissot Le Locle for cheap?

#4 ·
Different watches - the Seiko 5 is an entry level automatic and I believe the Aquaspeeds are all quartz. While each have their adherents and detractors they have distinct "characters" and you may want to familiarize yourself with them before deciding. Many young people are only familiar with quartz watches and some are disappointed to learn that automatic watches are not "plug and play" in the way their battery operated brethren are.

#5 ·
Since those watches are quartz versus mechanical, I'll discuss other merits of each brand. First, each company is family owned and operated, so it's a draw there. Second, Seiko 5 is all manufactured in-house, whereas Rotary is not, so Seiko wins there. Finally, case fit and finishing instead of movement. Rotary wins over Seiko 5 in that respect. I had a Seiko 5 briefly, the case finishing was just okay, nothing fantastic for the price though. I'll admit I'm not sure what all the fuss about Seiko 5 is about. Personally, I would go for a Rotary over a Seiko 5, partly due to liking Rotary's quality of fit and finish better, and partly because of bad experience with Seiko 5 and fantastic experience with Rotary.

#9 ·
I've heard of Seiko 5 being compared to Orient ☆☆ series, so logically I would imagine that the Orient ☆☆☆ series is slightly better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.