WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I also found that my Bi-Directional winding rotors are quieter than my single direction winding ones.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it new or pre-owned? What movement?

The deVille is pretty thin. I find the rotor more audible in my thinner watches than thick, heavy divers and sports watches.
It’s a watch bought new in 2016 but never worn since then, caliber 2500 . I got it through C24

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It’s a watch bought new in 2016 but never worn since then, caliber 2500 . I got it through C24
it could be the thinness of the case. My SMPc, is a Cal. 2500, and the rotor is quiet, but it is a thick heavy case though.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I tend to find that my Omegas have fairly noisy rotors, if moved in a similar way to that displayed in your video, but I wouldn’t make a habit of that. In everyday use it isn‘t noticeable at all. I’ve shaken a Seiko SKX and I think they are built to take that - but I’d still aim to make the shake ‘soft’

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
So, I guess this is the first time you have had a watch like an Omega Deville Prestige? Of course, if you shake it, you will hear the rotor spin. My suggestion is not to purposely shake it or you may cause some irreversible damage to its movement.

For what it is worth, it sounds much like my Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline when I make a quick movement with my wrist or arm.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Sounds a lot like my 7750 movements.
Amen to that, i had two watches with Valjioux 7750 base movement that have similar loud noise. if it bothers you so much you might consider taking it to Omega service center and ask if it was normal?
or go to the boutique/AD and try on a similar one to see if the same noise is also on the other one. if it was a defect than the warranty should cover it

·
Registered
544 Posts
So, I guess this is the first time you have had a watch like an Omega Deville Prestige? Of course, if you shake it, you will hear the rotor spin. My suggestion is not to purposely shake it or you may cause some irreversible damage to its movement.

For what it is worth, it sounds much like my Hamilton Jazzmaster Thinline when I make a quick movement with my wrist or arm.
Why would what he was doing damage the movement?
That's how a lot of people wind their autos.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
"OUCH!"

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
17,509 Posts
If you have a trusted watchmaker, I would pay them a visit. Do not let them open it without communication with the buyer first, but the can tell you if you should be concerned

·
Registered
67 Posts
OP - I have owned a number of Omegas over the years, am I can confidently state that I have never, ever heard a rotor make that much noise. Even my vintage Seamaster Caliber 354 bumper automatic made less noise than that. To me, it sounds like there are marbles bouncing around inside. The only other time I heard a movement make that much noise was after I dropped my vintage Tudor, which broke the rotor. I would definitely cease shaking it and get it looked ASAP. However, I would let the seller know about your concerns and get his/her blessing before having someone open it up to take a look. Please provide an update when you figure out what the issue is.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
That's pretty normal. This level of moving the watch won't hurt anything contrary to some beliefs. James Bond would say automatics are made to be shaken not stirred. Not beaten though obviously.

Reactions: DickLaurentIsDead

·
Registered
544 Posts
Dur, really?
That doesn't answer my question though does it?
Many people shake their watch in the manner linked by video clip, particularely those with movements that don't have hand winding as a feature so why will it damage the movement?
Teckel, your input was not helpfull, so why bother being a troll and stating the obvious?
Maybe you don't like me.
WFC

1 - 20 of 27 Posts