WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,

I just got a really nice Hamilton Jazzmaster slim, but I have to ask this: I noticed if I swing it to spin the rotor it makes quite some noise presumably against the backcase. Does anyone else have this watch or have this issue? I'm assuming this is not that normal at all as I have cheaper auto's where I can't almost here their rotor spin. Opinions please.

·
Premium Member
3,960 Posts
Some autos make noise, some don't. If it works, don't fix it.
cottontop

Reactions: T-hunter

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a Hamilton Khaki Action Chrono with a 7753 and it makes a little buzz when the rotor gets spinning. I've heard that is normal.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some auto make noise, some don't. If it works, don't fix it.
cottontop
Thank you for your input. That is my way of thinking as well.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Hamilton Khaki Action Chrono with a 7753 and it makes a little buzz when the rotor gets spinning. I've heard that is normal.
I have been searching WUS and the web about this noise and this movement in particular and it seems to be normal. Thank you.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Yeah, it's normal. Most of my watches make a noise when the rotor spins.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
While it's difficult to say definitively whether there is a problem or now, it's highly unlikely the rotor is scratching against the bridges or the caseback since that amount of friction should affect winding enough for the watch not to function properly.
If you're THAT concerned, get it checked out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Seiko 7002 does this as well; but it's normal. :)

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
hello everybody,

I just got a really nice Hamilton Jazzmaster slim, but I have to ask this: I noticed if I swing it to spin the rotor it makes quite some noise presumably against the backcase. Does anyone else have this watch or have this issue? I'm assuming this is not that normal at all as I have cheaper auto's where I can't almost here their rotor spin. Opinions please.
Hi. If the rotor is actually scraping against the case back that would indicate a worn rotor bearing or a movement fitted to the wrong case. Because this is a new watch I think you are just hearing the normal sounds it makes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi. If the rotor is actually scraping against the case back that would indicate a worn rotor bearing or a movement fitted to the wrong case. Because this is a new watch I think you are just hearing the normal sounds it makes.
Unfortunately I'm not sure what it is. If I turn it upside down, and spin the rotor it won't make any noise.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Some autos make noise, some don't. If it works, don't fix it.
cottontop
+1.

The ETA 289X makes a sound--like a zipp or a swirl. The 775X winds in one direction, thus more of a rattle/whirl (known as rotor wobble, it's the rotor moving freely in the non-winding direction, and just seems to come "alive" on your wrist!). If it's keeping good time and you're not hearing any scraping noises, then there's probably no need to worry. Wear it in good health.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not sure what it is. If I turn it upside down, and spin the rotor it won't make any noise.
Does the watch reach it's power reserve of about 38 hours without handwinding? Also was your watch new when you bought it?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the watch reach it's power reserve of about 38 hours without handwinding? Also was your watch new when you bought it?
I don't know if it reaches it's full power. I took it out of the box yesterday. :) Also the watch is brand new. Nonetheless I went back to the shop and explained the situation. They promptly traded mine for a new one that had just arrived. So question solved. The previous watch did make a lot of noise compared to new one. Thanks everyone for your input.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
I don't know if it reaches it's full power. I took it out of the box yesterday. :) Also the watch is brand new. Nonetheless I went back to the shop and explained the situation. They promptly traded mine for a new one that had just arrived. So question solved. The previous watch did make a lot of noise compared to new one. Thanks everyone for your input.
Your experience shows the value of buying from a dealer. Glad it worked out. Be sure to post some pictures too!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you, too, and sounds like you have a really good dealer there. Wonderful to hear.

Cheers.

p.s. yes, please do post some pics, would love to see it, too. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This a crappy pic taken a few hours ago (already posted at WRUW). I'll take more later. Thank you.

Edit: two more pics:

·
Banned
100 Posts
also depends on whether the noise is like, "akka akka akka akka," or "weebeeweebeeweebee." If it's going "shoop fwing, shoop fwing," then that's something else entirely.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Love the black dial against those dauphine hands and markers. Are there stripes on the dial too?
Nope the dial is interely black, no stripes. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts