WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got myself my 1st Ball watch n it's my 1st encounter with a 2892-2 movement. When i give it a swirl, the rotor doesn't sound like it spins much,unlike 2824 movements. Has it gotta do with the stiffer main spring found in a 2892-2 that makes the rotor not as mobile or is it just my Ball?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Test it

Just got myself my 1st Ball watch n it's my 1st encounter with a 2892-2 movement. When i give it a swirl, the rotor doesn't sound like it spins much,unlike 2824 movements. Has it gotta do with the stiffer main spring found in a 2892-2 that makes the rotor not as mobile or is it just my Ball?
Hello,

After wearing the watch for say, three consecutive days (to ensure you have a potentially fully wound mainspring), put it aside for two days; someplace where it will not be disturbed.

If it stops after 40 to 42 hours after you took it off your wrist, then automatic winding is OK.

good luck,
heb

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a sinn 856 and a marathon sar, they definitely sound different. I could hear the sinn winding louder, where I would have to listen carefully to the sar. Same with my emii diver, i have to listen for the rotor but I can feel it is looser than the 856 was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Aviator Dual Time that has the 2892-2 as the base movement and I had a similar concern. I felt the rotor was noisy. I also noticed after a full winding of the watch and continous wear the watch would stop after 3 days. I dropped it off at Ball USA and had it checked out and no problems were found. I had read this movement, due to the mainspring, may still need a winding after several days of wear. Not sure if this is true but it aligned to my experience so I have stopped worrying about it. I would be curious to others experience with this movement. I will say the watch is very accurate and garners alot of comments.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Either u misunderstood my point or there IS something amiss about my Hydrocarbon. My 2892 rotor doesn't sound like it's spinning very freely. I can hear it turn when i swirl it but it doesn't spin much with a swirl unlike 2824.
I don't believe I misunderstood anything you said. At first you said you couldn't hear the 2892 rotor as much as the 2824. You won't. The 2892 is smoother and more quiet. That was my point.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I've owned a few watches with the 2892-2, including my Omega SMP(cal. 1120=modified 2892-2), and my experience with them has been similar to Chuck's. The rotor movement seems to be quieter(as in silent), compared to the rotor movement sound of my 2824's or 2836's. Handwinding the crown is also silent and stiction-free, compared with the sound and very slight friction "feel" of the 24's and 36's. Not counting my SMP which is COSC, the other 2892's I've had were also a little more accurate out of the box.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my 2824's and 2836's. They're great workhorse movements. I just think that the 2892 is a step up, and I'd love to have more watches with the 2892 beating inside them. :-!
Your mileage may vary.

I don't believe I misunderstood anything you said. At first you said you couldn't hear the 2892 rotor as much as the 2824. You won't. The 2892 is smoother and more quiet. That was my point.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't say i couldn't hear the rotor. Rather,it didn't sound like it spins much. Subtle difference there,thus the misunderstanding.

No one has read anything about the stiff mainspring of the 2892 that could affect the spinning of the rotor? I guess i'll just have to see if it still runs for 40hrs after i stop wearing it. Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm not too worried though 'cos Ball seems to be a very reliable brand n i'm glad i got me 1.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Welcome bucs before I forget.

Chuck and Heb gave good advice Niles. I have both movements and they are quite different. Let us know what happens when you take it off and let it sit after it has a good day of activity. Great idea Heb!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i fully wound it on 15 Oct (Thur) at about 8pm. Since a 2892-2 has about 40 hrs of reserve power,it should stop on Saturday morning. I wore it for only a couple of hours on Fri n Sat without anymore manual winding n on Sunday,it stopped at 7.30pm. That's an extra 24hrs +- from the auto wind from wearing it for a total of 8hrs (on Fri n Sat). So i guess things are fine. Though i realised it lost about 5s/hr during the last 2hrs of its power reserve. I suppose that's normal when the watch is winding down? I still think i'm being too worried for a Ball watch. Should learn to trust it more. After all, i did get it new from an AD so much of my worry could be unfounded.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts