WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Have you every seen the automatic rotor spinning like crazy by itself?

It happened more than 3 times so far on my Glashütte Original Senator Navigator Cal. 39-10.

I would say the rotor is spinning in "max. speed" by itself.

The first time I noticed that was one morning when I was about to pull out from my drive way to go to work, I flicked my wrist and noticed that the watch is wobbling by itself and does not stop. I used my fingers to "tab" the face of the watch and it "dies down".

The second time is on the same day during work, same thing happened, the watch was wobbling and I have to tab it.

The last time was this morning when I took it out from the winder. I noticed that watch was running slow (about 6 hours slow after sitting on the winder from last Friday to today, which is about 6 days) and I thought I've used the incorrect rotating direction. I left it on the table when I was getting my coffee and I noticed that the watch is moving by itself and the rotor was spinning very very very fast. It took me a couple of tabs for it to get back to normal.

I am just wondering if anyone has similar experience and would the super fast spinning cause any problem to the movement?

Should I bring it to a watchmaker to check?

Thanks.

Tommy

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had that happen while hand winding (by spinning the crown) on my Hamilton with ETA automatic. I took it to my watch maker and was told I had a worn pinnion gear. You might just need a service. I had to wait a few weeks for parts. Don't take a chance. Let your watch wind down, or pull out the crown to stop the movement, then bring it in for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since my G.O. is still under warranty from the recent factory service, I've contacted the customer service and the watch will be traveling to Germany G.O. factory for the 2nd time this year.

Now, only if I can collect those frequent flyer miles. . . :-(

Hope this will not be like one of those cases that the problem does not show up when you bring your car back to the dealership for any warranty work . . .

Tommy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts