• Aquanaut 5167 on rubber

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to pull the trigger on one of them. Still mulling it over. They obviously appeal for different reasons, though one feature I like about both watches is their svelte wrist presence. I'm feeling something smaller and more comfortable these days.

Full disclosure, I'll get what I want regardless of what people say, but it's fun to discuss anyway, ha ha... Which do you prefer, and why?

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I prefer the RO because I like the RO on its own, whereas I like the Aquanaut more as an alternative to the Nautilus, which I also like on its own, than in its own right. I realize that's likely of no help to you, but it's why I have the preference I do.

Enjoy whichever piece you get. Both are outstanding watches.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I've never been enthusiastic about the Aquanaut (or the Nautilus), so RO for me. I am biased in any event since I own a black dialed 15400.

·
Registered
14,864 Posts
Owned both Aquanaut and white dialed 15450. Major plus for the Patek is that heavenly comfy/sturdy rubber strap, but the aesthetics of the RO beat it out. I'm gunning for the new blue dialed 15450 too . . .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Royal Oak and it's not even close. One is an all-time classic, designed by Genta and essentially unchanged for 45 years now.

This may ruffle some feathers, but I can't shake the feeling that the Aquanaut looks cheap. I mean, really, what is with the font they used for numbers and date? And the markers are just so inelegant. It looks like something Timex would put out.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why the 15450 RO and not a 15300, which would be closer to the 5167 in size?
I can get a new blue 37mm for retail (with free extra links) right now. Sellers with used blue 15300s are asking over retail...

And I'm not sure I agree that the 15300 will wear the same as the 5167. Royal Oaks have that "step" at the integrated lugs that causes the bracelet to stick out before it begins to curve down the wrist, making them wear much larger. The 41mm 15400 fits my wrist like a 43mm or 44mm watch, for instance. The 37mm 15450 is plenty big, and felt to me roughly the equivalent of the 5167. At least on my wrist. YMMV.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Having owned both at one point, here are some of my observations -

PP 5167
+comfort
+under the radar
+better lume
+more versatile
+less prone to nicks & scratches

AP RO
+dressier
+overall looks
+/- more conspicuous
- versatility

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I have to pick between the two watches, I will take 5167. The resale value somehow tells the story. But I released my 5167 and go for others now.

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
I prefer the RO because I like the RO on its own, whereas I like the Aquanaut more as an alternative to the Nautilus, which I also like on its own, than in its own right. I realize that's likely of no help to you, but it's why I have the preference I do.

Enjoy whichever piece you get. Both are outstanding watches.

All the best.
You should buy the RO b/c you like it in it's own right.

Buying the "alternative" watch will never stop you from wanting the watch for which it is the alternative. I think that's especially so of the Aquanaut v. Nautilus. The two just aren't that similar looking.

I recently bought several watches, & all but one just knocked my socks off when I tried them on, which is why I bought them.

Find a way to try on the RO & Aquanaut. Buy the one that wows you.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I feel like the Aquanaut is the "can't find a Nautilus" watch, but that's just me. So I'm going RO. :)

·
Banned
1,225 Posts
I like the aquanaut on it own. Don't listen to the naysayers who protest it as a wannabe nautilus.
I think if one likes/wants the Aquanaut on account of its own merits (and despite its demerits, whatever they be, if any), then it's the watch one should get. If instead, one wants a Nautilus, then that's the watch one should get.

The naysayers say nay, IMO, because THEY want a Nautilus and THEY thus see the Aquanaut as a wannabe-Nautilus.

For instance, I wanted a Submariner No Date, but when I found out what a pain it'd be to get one, I was turned off of the notion of even bothering. Furthermore, I tried on the Explorer I, and was thrilled with it. Any notion of getting a Sub was instantly out the door as far as I was concerned. I ordered the Explorer; it arrived a few days later, and I couldn't be happier. Why? Because I bothered to figure out what I want and don't want, so for me, an Explorer isn't a Sub alternative and a Sub isn't what I prefer among the Rolex Oyster lineup. Similarly, I wanted a Yachtmaster, but not as a Sub alternative, but in its own right because I like the blue dial and that the bezel "matches" the case not the dial.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally have had experience with both, and I really love the size of the 5167A

I have the 5711 and while the bracelet is comfortable, I feel that the 5167 on rubber , is one of the most beautiful watches I have ever seen

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would love the AP blue dial. Man you are getting that at retail?? You must have already got it. Any feedback to share?? I am considering 37mm for my 6.25 inch wrist. And since you said that AP_ wears a bit larger, does your 37mm wear a bit larger too?? Thanks in advance for your response.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts